Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin attends pro day workout of OT Taylor Lewan

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I believe you are very wrong. Lewan at best will be an average RT.
    Maybe his college games tape says he is only RT.. My opinion was based on his combine and few highlight reels on YT. I have not seen him play much.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Taylor Lewan is not the only Michigan OT they might have been looking at.

Michael Schofield is "position flexible" which Tomlin loves, having played both guard and tackle and should still be available on the 3rd day of the draft...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Relax guys. The team is doing it's due dilligence. They need to make sure whoever they settle on is worthy. The interior of the line is solid, but, there are question marks at tackle. I'd have more of a problem if they DIDN'T go to a pro day for a potential top 20 selection.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Relax guys. The team is doing it's due dilligence. They need to make sure whoever they settle on is worthy. The interior of the line is solid, but, there are question marks at tackle. I'd have more of a problem if they DIDN'T go to a pro day for a potential top 20 selection.
    On the mark. This is all about having the most information possible to make the best INFORMED decision. Also, keep in mind that many times they talk to a player to not only get insights into that player but also to find out things about other players on his team or a player he played against.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Yup yup. I'm sure the team expects Lewan to be off the board by #15 (can't see how the Giants pass on his at #12), but a first round pick is so important that you should get to know the personalities of all of the top guys, just in case one happens to fall unexpectedly.

Consider what happened with Mendenhall a few years back. Our scouts loved what they saw on the field, and even though we had a big need at RB, we didn't bother meeting with the guy because they thought would be LONG GONE by the time we were drafting. When an uber-talented player at a position of need fell into their laps, they pounced. Perhaps if they had met with him beforehand, they might have realized that football wasn't of primary importance to him. Maybe some "this is the kind of guy who might retire by age 26" red flags might have gone up. Just a thought.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    On the mark. This is all about having the most information possible to make the best INFORMED decision. Also, keep in mind that many times they talk to a player to not only get insights into that player but also to find out things about other players on his team or a player he played against.
    Let me just add that Colbert said that this was not only the deepest draft talent-wise but also the most immature group as well. These investigations help them not only find the measurables, but also help to see if the player is NFL-ready from a maturity level. They want to see if they are most likely drafting another Antonio Brown or another Ta'amu. As fans, it seems that we would expect that they would do this kind of digging. Since Michigan is a major college program they will probably be able to talk to a lot of potential picks, not just a guy like Lewan.

Legend

User Info Menu

One final note - visiting with as many of the guys as possible helps to not tip your hand as to what you actually are looking at.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooo!
    Thought of some of our other posts when I saw this. Had a feeling you would not approve. Lets get a defensive stud in the 1st so we can put this to bed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I saw Lewan is being charged with 3 misdemeanors.

1 count of aggravated assault, 2 counts of assault and battery.

Off the board for the Steelers much to Shawn's delight maybe.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I saw Lewan is being charged with 3 misdemeanors.

1 count of aggravated assault, 2 counts of assault and battery.

Off the board for the Steelers much to Shawn's delight maybe.
    I can't stop dancing.
    Trolls are people too.