Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nix is growing on me

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Nix is growing on me

Originally, I was annoyed at the prospect of taking Nix in the first; I felt like we already have too many high picks invested in our 3-4 DL, which had been able to function well on mid-round picks, other than Hampton, and then Hood and Heyward, where Hood was basically a bad 1st round pick.

With all our holes, it seemed having to go with another first rounder on a unit that really doesn't feature any play makers to begin with. Plus, Nix was hurt last year.

But, if the 3-4 really needs an immovable object at NT, I guess we got to do what we got to do if we are staying in the LeBoo system. Nix is a fit. He is a beast. He is a young Casey. And he seems like a good guy - no thug problems or worries there.

After watching interviews and his play on tape, I would be fine with them taking him in the first. That's not to say I wouldn't like other picks as well, like Dennard or Evans, but if they take Nix I won't run into traffic.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I believe he has the potential to be better than Casey Hampton. Think Vince Wilfork in his prime. And if you add him next to Cam Heyward, you will see Heyward become one of the leagues best playmakers in the league.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I believe he has the potential to be better than Casey Hampton. Think Vince Wilfork in his prime. And if you add him next to Cam Heyward, you will see Heyward become one of the leagues best playmakers in the league.
    Even his listed "cons" are not really legit. "He might get tired towards of end of game." Gee whiz, what 350 lb man won't. That is why Casey - and Nix more than likely - know when to pick and choose their spots to go all out. Big guys all have to know this. No giant guy can pour out full effort every play; it's not possible or they will be whipped, and, as they say, exhaustion makes cowards out of us all. One other knock was he can't keep up with running backs to tackle them if they go outside. Well, what 350 lb monster can? No one. He's not built to do that job. How is that a con? I bet he also can't cover a wide receiver in the open field either. Is that a con too? I am warming up to this pick if they go there. I also love that he has already grown up, and went through the state of being depressed because he was too out of shape at NDU. He hated it. And hopefully he won't go back to that phase. Listening to him, he seems fairly bright and a quality person. No chance of an Albert Haynesworth situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Welcome to the dark side, guys!

FWIW, I heard he has a crazy sense of humor with the media... Could be entertaining, too!
    Last edited by SteelerOfDeVille; 03-15-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Welcome to the dark side, guys!....

I think what you meant to say was, "Welcome to the late freight DeVille!!"

I've been on Nix for a long time.

[URL]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/42202-Louis-Nix-III[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I think what you meant to say was, "Welcome to the late freight DeVille!!"

I've been on Nix for a long time.

[URL]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/42202-Louis-Nix-III[/URL]
    nice. I'm not gonna search, but, he (and Mosley) have been my 2 choices from the jump. Improving the run d would help improve the overall d--even the pass d (by virtue of being in more 3rd and longs). A lot of guys are missing the boat here.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

No thanks. He has already missed a significant part of a season with a balky knee. Carrying 350lbs isn't going to make that knee better and will continue to be an issue. The bottom line is that he isn't worth the #15 pick. He is a top 40 player in this draft not a top 15.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    No thanks. He has already missed a significant part of a season with a balky knee. Carrying 350lbs isn't going to make that knee better and will continue to be an issue. The bottom line is that he isn't worth the #15 pick. He is a top 40 player in this draft not a top 15.
    There is nothing wrong with his knee. Nothing that has anyone concerned of lingering affects down the line. And you should have stopped there. The rest is embarrassing. Top 40 pick says you know very little about him.

What he would do for Cameron Heyward would be significant. As of right now, Heyward will draw the double team or chip. But have Nix next him and there is no way you can ever do that to Heyward. And incase you missed it, Heyward is a freight train about to take off.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've cooled on Nix, though if we got him, I'd be... satisfied. I think he has low bust potential.

If he is Wilfork/Hampton ilk, I'm all-in. But I think about the Packer defense, with BJ Raji, as a warning sign. Raji looked every bit the monster that Nix could be, but in the end, he was so soft that they had to play him on the End (rather than at NT, where they drafted him to play). And as an effect, their D doesn't make opposing offenses one-dimensional.

For us to take Nix, I would have to be convinced that he is Vince Wilfork-level fatness. Not just any other big, fatman status. (After all, there are big fat guys coming down the pike all the time. e.g. Ta'amu)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Our run D was atrocious last year. I never could have imagined it. We need the man at the bottom of the pyramid who unselfishly supports it all.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.