Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nix is growing on me

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Well, at least he was in the right place and made tackles.

I think McLendon might be moved to DE, if the Steelers, as I expect they will, draft a NT. I hope they don't spend a first-rounder on Nix. IMO, they can get better value by waiting in the draft. I'd like to see them spend their first-round pick on a playmaker.
    Money post.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nix is not worthy of Top-15 pick.

Steelers run defense did not have issues when Steve mcClendon was in the game. I prefer WR/CB/TE in Rd 1.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know how good Nix will be as an NFL player, but I do know this...

Even in today's "pass happy" NFL, if the career of Casey Hampton was available at 15 I would grab him. NT is not only a run stuffing position. Even in pass D, a Casey Hampton does not get onto the QB for the sack, but he frees up others, he eliminates passing lanes and options, he forces protection. Reading stats tells me that a NT like Hampton is not important, but my eyes tell me different.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

Even in today's "pass happy" NFL, if the career of Casey Hampton was available at 15 I would grab him. NT is not only a run stuffing position. Even in pass D, a Casey Hampton does not get onto the QB for the sack, but he frees up others, he eliminates passing lanes and options, he forces protection. Reading stats tells me that a NT like Hampton is not important, but my eyes tell me different.
    No one is denying importance of a NT but Steelers already have 3 NT on roster. Steve, Cam and Fangupo. Steelers fan are saying move mcClendon to DE but we don't know if Steelers coaches think that way.

Also can Nix fix Steelers Defense by playing as a rookie?? Normal curve for a Steelers DL to start is 3 years. Its better to draft a NT in mid-round and develop him to take starter role in 3 years rather than picking a player at 15 and make him ride the pine for 3 yrs.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    No one is denying importance of a NT but Steelers already have 3 NT on roster. Steve, Cam and Fangupo. Steelers fan are saying move mcClendon to DE but we don't know if Steelers coaches think that way.

Also can Nix fix Steelers Defense by playing as a rookie?? Normal curve for a Steelers DL to start is 3 years. Its better to draft a NT in mid-round and develop him to take starter role in 3 years rather than picking a player at 15 and make him ride the pine for 3 yrs.
    The NT and the DEs have different responsibilities...IIRC, a 0 tech NT can learn their responsibilities much more easily than a 5 tech DE...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The NT and the DEs have different responsibilities...IIRC, a 0 tech NT can learn their responsibilities much more easily than a 5 tech DE...
    Kimo V started as a NT made the switch and was better as an end.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

Number one defense, most Steeler wins EVER at 15-1, beat BOTH SB teams, during the only season in Hamptons career that he missed 10 games.
    The one loss was one of the few games he played in.
    Is Hoke as good as Casey? Of course not.

The point is that we NEVER EVER missed him all that much when he was out and our linebackers were solid.

TCFCLTC-

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The only way I take Nix is if he is our last resort at #15. That would mean...Dennard, Gilbert, Mosley and even Lee have to be gone before I would take Nix.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Number one defense, most Steeler wins EVER at 15-1, beat BOTH SB teams, during the only season in Hamptons career that he missed 10 games.
    The one loss was one of the few games he played in.
    Is Hoke as good as Casey? Of course not.

The point is that we NEVER EVER missed him all that much when he was out and our linebackers were solid.
    Hoke was no Casey, but he was good. Hoke would be a much better option than any potential NT we currently have.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa