Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nix is growing on me

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Number one defense, most Steeler wins EVER at 15-1, beat BOTH SB teams, during the only season in Hamptons career that he missed 10 games.
    The one loss was one of the few games he played in.
    Is Hoke as good as Casey? Of course not.

The point is that we NEVER EVER missed him all that much when he was out and our linebackers were solid.
    NT isn't important... just ask future HOFer Ray Lewis whom practically begged the Ravens FO to draft Ngata. I don't understand why he would need a NT.... Being such a great ILB, why would he need or want a great NT? Seems bizarre, I know.

Clearly, SF just doesn't get it. They are absolutely stacked at LB and they signed Glenn Dorsey last year to a 2 year / 7 mil contract. Now, why would SF even worry about the NT position when they have the best LBs in the league???? Hmmm... bizarre.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    No one is denying importance of a NT but Steelers already have 3 NT on roster. Steve, Cam and Fangupo. Steelers fan are saying move mcClendon to DE but we don't know if Steelers coaches think that way.

Also can Nix fix Steelers Defense by playing as a rookie?? Normal curve for a Steelers DL to start is 3 years. Its better to draft a NT in mid-round and develop him to take starter role in 3 years rather than picking a player at 15 and make him ride the pine for 3 yrs.
    most self-contradictory post of the day. "Not denying importance, but, we got 3 bodies there"...

If we're thinking he's Casey all over again, didn't Casey start as a rook?
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nix is a top 40 player, taking him at 15 is silly.

Cam Thomas is not the best player out there but I think signing him closes the door on reaching for Nix at 15, Nix is still very much in play in the second round

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Nix is a top 40 player, taking him at 15 is silly.

Cam Thomas is not the best player out there but I think signing him closes the door on reaching for Nix at 15, Nix is still very much in play in the second round
    I agree with this. If we were talking about drafting 25-30 Nix would be in play but #15 is just too high especially when it means you could be possibly passing on guys like Gilbert, Dennard, Evans, Marquise Lee, Ebron, Hageman, etc.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree with this. If we were talking about drafting 25-30 Nix would be in play but #15 is just too high especially when it means you could be possibly passing on guys like Gilbert, Dennard, Evans, Marquise Lee, Ebron, Hageman, etc.
    I agree. Nix would be fine late in the first or if he fell to the second, but I don't like him at 15. I think it is very important to have a good NT, but I'm not convinced that Nix is that guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I entirely agree with that list too

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A Smith & Von Oelhoffen were the DEs Hamptons rookie year ('01) . Von Oelhoffen played inside & outside his first year here which was also Kevin Henry's last year ('00). A Smith & Henry were the DE's with Von Oelhoffen in the middle. Von Oelhoffen would slide outside in rotation for Clancy to come in at NT. They liked Von Oelhoffen better at DE so the slid him outside when they allowed Henry to sign with the Bengals. They drafted Hampton that same year. Hampton started as a rookie in week 7 replacing a struggling Kendrick Clancy at NT. Von Oelhoffen went back inside in '04 when Hampton was lost for the year.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 03-17-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    No one is denying importance of a NT but Steelers already have 3 NT on roster. Steve, Cam and Fangupo.
    Steve was benched last year.
    Cam was benched in San Diego last year.
    Fangupo could not get on the field last year.

Going to camp with those three does not indicate that the team places much importance on the position.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    most self-contradictory post of the day. "Not denying importance, but, we got 3 bodies there"...

If we're thinking he's Casey all over again, didn't Casey start as a rook?
    If a 1st rounder NT can't start as a rookie, then let's just quit. What on earth doesn't a rookie NT know to prevent him from playing? Will he be dropping into coverage much? How many reads does he need? It is not just his job to basically clog up the middle and just push up inside the pocket? What is there to learn? Line up over center and push guys around as much as possible, not allowing the OC or OG to make contact on the LBs. What, do they need to also engineer a rocket to Mars in the meantime?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think it is very important to have a good NT, but I'm not convinced that Nix is that guy.
    Ask Manti T'eo if he helped...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington