Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nix is growing on me

I think we should trade out of the 15th spot and grab him around 20th-25th if we want to go that way, thats if anyone is willing to trade down. Grab an extra 3rd or whatever it would be. The only thing that would stop me would be if someone like Justin Gilbert is still on the board.

I will take it one step farther. Not only would he help Heyward's game, but Vince Willliams as well.... I'd consider him at #15 if both of those CB's are already gone. Really think our pick is a CB though. Probably Dennard at this point as the other will be gone....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Originally, I was annoyed at the prospect of taking Nix in the first; I felt like we already have too many high picks invested in our 3-4 DL, which had been able to function well on mid-round picks, other than Hampton, and then Hood and Heyward, where Hood was basically a bad 1st round pick.

With all our holes, it seemed having to go with another first rounder on a unit that really doesn't feature any play makers to begin with. Plus, Nix was hurt last year.
    Correct......up until this point

But, if the 3-4 really needs an immovable object at NT, I guess we got to do what we got to do if we are staying in the LeBoo system. Nix is a fit. He is a beast. He is a young Casey. And he seems like a good guy - no thug problems or worries there.
    Our defense was FINE without Hampton in the lineup when we had Farrior (a PROLIFIC tackler even as a Jet) and Deebo (BY FAR the best run stopping 3/4 OLBer of this era) or even Porter before him. 17-1 over about an eight or nine year stretch when Hampton was injured. He missed over half of one season and we still had the number one defense.

The problem this year aint just about NT. PEOPLE WE HAD A SIXTH ROUND NONAME Vince Williams at inside LB. Jarvis was a first rounder but EVEN IN COLLEGE he was no run stuffing beast anywhere NEAR Harrison. We have all of ONE good run stuffer at LB in Timmons (Worilds came on late in the season, and our run defense was much improved when he started coming on).

I would go MLB before NT.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

The problem this year aint just about NT. PEOPLE WE HAD A SIXTH ROUND NONAME Vince Williams at inside LB. Jarvis was a first rounder but EVEN IN COLLEGE he was no run stuffing beast anywhere NEAR Harrison. We have all of ONE good run stuffer at LB in Timmons (Worilds came on late in the season, and our run defense was much improved when he started coming on).
    Glad someone else gets it. It's not fair to put all the blame on McLendon for our slide in run D.

lol... our run defense was all VW and JJ's fault. hahahaha

I'd believe that if I wasn't watching our DL (especially our NT) get completely pushed off the ball.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Glad someone else gets it. It's not fair to put all the blame on McLendon for our slide in run D.
    this issue can also be referred to as the Loss of Foote. However, at least we have able bodies to man that post. Nobody on the team is truly built to handle the 3-4 NT position.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    this issue can also be referred to as the Loss of Foote. However, at least we have able bodies to man that post. Nobody on the team is truly built to handle the 3-4 NT position.
    Yea... we really missed a guy that gets trucked by RBs after 3-4 yard gains. But his "tackle" stats look good.

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Yea... we really missed a guy that gets trucked by RBs after 3-4 yard gains. But his "tackle" stats look good.
    Well, at least he was in the right place and made tackles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Nobody on the team is truly built to handle the 3-4 NT position.
    I think McLendon might be moved to DE, if the Steelers, as I expect they will, draft a NT. I hope they don't spend a first-rounder on Nix. IMO, they can get better value by waiting in the draft. I'd like to see them spend their first-round pick on a playmaker.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    if they take Nix I won't run into traffic.
    Now that deserves to go in the underhanded compliment Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Tackle "stats" mean he made the tackle.
    Foote is no Farrior, true.

But I will take getting trucked and allowing 4 yards over a 6 round rookie "replacement" does not make the tackle at all so that William Gay can make the play after twenty yards.