Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Nix is growing on me

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    I"m kinda on this Ryan Carrethers out of Arkansas State band wagon with a 5th round pick. 6 foot, about 330. Save that 1.15 pick for someone that falls....
    Thats what I'm talkin bout.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Why take a TE... we're OK. there... and we're OK at WR's... apparently, OK, to you, means "we have a body there".

He's my second favorite NT... If the team passed on Nix, which is quite possible considering all the needs, THIS is my option #2.

OK at WR? Really? Have you not noticed that we lost our #2 already and may be losing our #3 soon. We are thinner at WR than we are at Def Line or Cornerback. If Cotchery truly leaves then WR probably becomes the biggest position of need.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    OK at WR? Really? Have you not noticed that we lost our #2 already and may be losing our #3 soon. We are thinner at WR than we are at Def Line or Cornerback. If Cotchery truly leaves then WR probably becomes the biggest position of need.
    I thought he was being sarcastic in saying that.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

you know... I was thinking... if we lose Cotchery, we will be about as thin at WR as we are now at RB, meaning there is one player at each position that has contributed anything worth mention. Not exactly leaving Ben with much to work with IMO.

I'm really optimistic about Wheaton...but he is still unproven in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    you know... I was thinking... if we lose Cotchery, we will be about as thin at WR as we are now at RB, meaning there is one player at each position that has contributed anything worth mention. Not exactly leaving Ben with much to work with IMO.

I'm really optimistic about Wheaton...but he is still unproven in the NFL.
    Ben is used to that by now, he has been given the least to work with of all the elite quarterbacks during his career. But, on the other hand, what he has been given to work with for almost the entirety of his career is a good to great defense and that's why the Steelers have been competitive, elite quarterback and a good to great defense will keep you competitive and have the team be dangerous in the playoffs.

And, as we have seen the past two years when the defense is mediocre and the offense is mediocre no matter how good Ben is you can't win enough games to get into the playoffs. Upgrade the defense, tweak the offense (although in light of the past 72 hours the offense may need more than a tweak) and the Steelers will compete in the playoffs again.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 03-19-2014 at 07:43 AM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Thats what I'm talkin bout.
    Agree...if you are looking for a pure 3-4, non penetrating anchor...well this is your guy on the cheap.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

I gotta say, the idea of a plug and play hoss in the middle of the 3/4 Defense truly piques my interest. I'd have zero problem if they ran to the podium and snapped up Louis Nix.

Walter Football rates Nix as the clear #1 3/4 NT. I'd have to agree.

3-4 Nose Tackle:
    NFL prototype: Vince Wilfork, Patriots

Louis Nix
    Ra'Shede Hageman
    DaQuan Jones
    Aaron Donald
    Timmy Jernigan
    Will Sutton
    Ego Ferguson
    Anthony Johnson

Recap: A good nose tackle in a 3-4 defense is a tough commodity to find. Someone like Vince Wilfork sets the tone for the pass rush and the run defense by blasting the center into the backfield. An effective zero-technique stuffs the run and occupies interior blockers to open up lanes for blitzes up the middle.

Nix played nose tackle for years and is very skilled at it. A few seasons from now, he could easily be the player who replaces Wilfork as the prototype. Nix is a natural with his power, burst and body type. He should be a perfect fit manning the zero-technique in a 3-4 defense.

Hageman also has experience playing nose tackle. He can line up over centers and overwhelm them. As stated above, Hageman would be a good fit in a 3-4 that bounces between the five- and zero-techniques. Jones has enough beef to get consideration as a nose tackle.

Some 3-4 teams like smaller and squatty nose tackles. Those teams might like Donald, Jernigan and Sutton for those roles, but all of those prospects will probably get drafted by 4-3 teams. Ditto for Johnson and Ferguson. Neither one of them showed the ability to man the middle of a 3-4 at LSU as the Tigers run a 4-3 defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Nix heart into playing? He says in the video he tried to quit in high school and then again in college. I dunno about spending a #15 on a guy with that attitude.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I thought he was being sarcastic in saying that.
    exactly... was making the point that we're really not "OK" at either... unless "ok" means having a body there.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    My brother YOU make my point better than anything I have said yet.
    I agree it is ALL about our scheme.

Using your same analogy, if we run alot and have no intention of featuring the tight end, I am NOT using 1-15 to draft the best "blocking" tight end in the draft. While I recognize the value, I can get that guy later.

I absolutely WANT a guy who EXCELS at occupying blockers. The skill set that OUR defense requires need not be drafted 1-15.

San Fran did it drafting Sopoaga in the 4th, and features TWO all pro linebackers before signing a replacement.
    We should do the same.
    First, San Fran runs a 4-3... apples to oranges. They also took the best LB talent in a decade, IMO (Pat Willis)... Who i thought we should have traded up for that year. But, that's beside the point.

But, you are suggesting that if it happened in a particular round once, that it can happen every time. Antonio Brown was what, a 4th rounder? Why spend an early pick on a WR? And because Tom Brady was a 6th rounder, teams needing QBs should just take one in the 6th round.

Each draft depends on the personnel at a particular position and how deep that position is. If there is a significant drop-off from one guy to the next, you take him, if it's in the right general area.

If I could draft the career of Casey Hampton at 1-15 out of this draft, sign me up. I could say the same about several positions.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville