Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nix is growing on me

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    NT isn't important... just ask future HOFer Ray Lewis whom practically begged the Ravens FO to draft Ngata. I don't understand why he would need a NT.... Being such a great ILB, why would he need or want a great NT? Seems bizarre, I know.
    You make my point.
    The best Raven defense of Lewis career was when Ngata was in HIGH SCHOOL my friend.

Lewis led a historically great defense long before Ngata came onto the scene.

Ngata is a fine player MUCH BETTER than Casey, TWICE the playmaker. But HE did not make Ray Lewis great. A great linebacker was the straw that stirred the Ravens drink.

Ngata is better TODAY than Casey EVER was. But he cant fix the loss of Ray.

Using your logic, given the choice do you take Ray or Ngata?

I would take a 2 time all american PLAY MAKER (100 stops TWICE) who was chosen MVP of the a national championship Alabama team, winning BTW OVER Nix AND overated Teo on Notre Dame showing HE not Teo was the BEST inside linebacker around.
    BTW CJ Mosely was MUCH BETTER than his predecessor Donta Hightower ever was in college.

If you want to solidify the run defense, THAT is the route to take.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-17-2014 at 09:14 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Nix is growing on me
    BTW there is an ointment to clear that up.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Clearly, SF just doesn't get it. They are absolutely stacked at LB and they signed Glenn Dorsey last year to a 2 year / 7 mil contract. Now, why would SF even worry about the NT position when they have the best LBs in the league???? Hmmm... bizarre.
    Aha, nice example. Notice they STACKED themselves at inside linebacker FIRST. THAT was the priority, PLAYMAKERS. THEN they paid to upgrade the NT.
    AND may I ADD that defense seemed BETTER BEFORE Dorsey in 2012. To me the loss of Gholdston outweighs the addition of Dorsey (well not literally "outweighs", Dorsey wins that one, but you get my point.)

So Dorsey WAS on on a BAD KC defense despite his presence, moves to the superbowl Niners with a pre-existing dominant defense there is no improvement whatsoever and he is SO VALUABLE.....WHY?

TCFCLTC-

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You make my point.
    The best Raven defense of Lewis career was when Ngata was in HIGH SCHOOL my friend.

Ngata is a fine player MUCH BETTER than Casey, TWICE the playmaker. But HE did not make Ray Lewis great. A great linebacker was the straw that stirred the Ravens drink.

I would take a 2 time all american PLAY MAKER (100 stops TWICE) who was chosen MVP of the a national championship Alabama team, winning BTW OVER Nix AND overated Teo on Notre Dame showing HE not Teo was the BEST inside linebacker around.
    BTW CJ Mosely was MUCH BETTER than his predecessor Donta Hightower ever was in college.

Wait a minute. The best Ds Lewis was ever on had Siragusa and Sam Adams in front of him. It wasn't until he lost those guys, BEFORE Ngata got there that the D suffered. During those seasons, Ray had OGs and OCs reaching him. The 2000 Raven's D had a great DL in front of Ray. That D was superior and, yes, the DTs were a huge part of making it go.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let me know when were done treating Nix like hes anything close to Haloti Ngata.

Ray Ray wanted a big dlineman and he got it, it makes his job easier...no one is disputing that, but they took Cody to be a fat clog in the middle, they took ngata because he was a rare athlete for the position and even though a NT prospect he was too athletic to not play playing DE. Yeah sure ill take one of those all day in the first round...thats not nix though

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You make my point.

Your point might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum the entire offseason. It's not even worth debating because you clearly don't get it and never will.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Let me know when were done treating Nix like hes anything close to Haloti Ngata.

Ray Ray wanted a big dlineman and he got it, it makes his job easier...no one is disputing that, but they took Cody to be a fat clog in the middle, they took ngata because he was a rare athlete for the position and even though a NT prospect he was too athletic to not play playing DE. Yeah sure ill take one of those all day in the first round...thats not nix though
    We aren't saying that. I'm not in favor of Nix at 1.15 just for the record. I am on record as saying the NT matters in the 3-4 and saying that we can have ****ty NT and simply focus on the ILB position is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It's not even remotely true.. the 49ers have proved that as do the Ravens, as do the Steelers and so on...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Wait a minute. The best Ds Lewis was ever on had Siragusa and Sam Adams in front of him. It wasn't until he lost those guys, BEFORE Ngata got there that the D suffered. During those seasons, Ray had OGs and OCs reaching him. The 2000 Raven's D had a great DL in front of Ray. That D was superior and, yes, the DTs were a huge part of making it go.
    Clearly, you got my point... thank you.

I'm not even remotely comparing Nix to Ngata either... My point is that the NT position is important and teams treat it as such... so for those that are trying to fight the case that its not important and can be ignored clearly know nothing about football.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We aren't saying that. I'm not in favor of Nix at 1.15 just for the record. I am on record as saying the NT matters in the 3-4 and saying that he can have ****ty NT and simply focus on the ILB position is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It's not even remotely true.. the 49ers have proved that as do the Ravens, as do the Steelers and so on...
    Again, the Ravens best D of all time was when they had those two beasts, in Siragusa and Sam Adams in front of Lewis. That D ranks up there with the 70's Steelers D and 1985 Bears.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

NT is definitely important, but I will take a stud DE over a stud NT any day of the week in this NFL (which is very different than 10 years ago, hence why the Aaron Smith and Brett Keisels of the world were late round draft picks)

There arent many teams running a 34 with a true stud NT, and the ones that do either play 1 gap (Poe, or previously Ratliff) or they move them to DE because they are such studs and want them on the field (Ngata, Raji) because the offenses right now have negated the inside cog with the zone stretch

I just value Hageman or Tuitt over Nix on the dline, and I think Nix is a fine player and would love him to be a steeler, just not at 15