Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If we get 2 nice Wallace/Lewis comp picks would you be willing to trade up for Evans?

Legend

User Info Menu

Very conflicted on this one.

Giving away the third last year really hurts, particularly in a deep draft. If the Steelers truly believes that Evans would be an elite WR, then I think you have to consider the move. The biggest thing that the Steelers need, on both sides of the ball, are guys that will make a difference. If the Steelers really believe that he will be a difference maker, then maybe you do it. If they think that he'll be very good, but not elite, then I think you stand pat and wait until the second round to grab one of the many other big WRs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    The vincent jackson comparison is a favorite, hes much much smoother than Vjax though. Vjax tends to be heavy footed and somewhat of a long strider. Evans is more fluid and has a little more quickness in his step. The 40 time is great and all, but thats not where Evans is going to dominate (calvin wasnt drafted #2 because he ran a 4.35, even though that was amazing). Hes vincent jackson when the ball is in the air, but the rest of his game is more like Fitzgerald to me...and fitz didnt run as fast of a 40, he was actually much slower
    Sometimes, i think we believe what we WANT to believe about a player as we begin to like them.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468[/URL]

Weaknesses

Monotone mover with pedestrian speed -- cannot separate vertically or pull away from the pack. Unsudden acceleration. Stiff hips. Will have to make a living in traffic at the next level -- will struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch NFL cornerbacks. Did not run a full route tree and could require patience learning the nuances of refined route running. Backyard element to his college success -- must become savvier instead of depending on superior size and improvisational production. Can be hotheaded and lose control of his emotions. Basketball was first love.
    [URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824909/mike-evans[/URL]
    WEAKNESSES: Classic long-strider who does not possess the preferred burst off the snap to instantly challenge defenders off the line or out of his breaks. Relies too much on his size and physicality to win at the catch-point because he struggles to gain consistent separation. Able to dominate the smaller, weaker corners at the collegiate level but could struggle to do so in the NFL.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Sometimes, i think we believe what we WANT to believe about a player as we begin to like them.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468[/URL]

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824909/mike-evans[/URL]
    That sounds like a Michael Floyd scouting report, which was my first opinion of him. Actually i thought he was pretty overrated until I really got to take the time and watch some all 22 on him over the last week. He has more quickness and is a better route runner than I gave him credit for initially.

20 years old too, steelers love that

Legend

User Info Menu

That sounds like a Michael Floyd scouting report, which was my first opinion of him. Actually i thought he was pretty overrated until I really got to take the time and watch some all 22 on him over the last week. He has more quickness and is a better route runner than I gave him credit for initially.

20 years old too, steelers love that
    To be clear, I'm not opposed to taking him... just opposed to trading up.

3.98 -<tbd>

Legend

User Info Menu

Im aware of that, which means they will have a 3rd rounder to use in the draft. People wont like a trade up, but i believe they will try and no one will lose any sleep over it once Evans is a day one starter
    Whoops. When you said "I imagine they will get a 3rd, 5th, and 7th" I mistakenly thought you were referring to the Giants in terms of what they would want in a trade down scenario (as opposed to giving them a 4th and a 5th)

I now realize that you were predicting our comp picks there. Gotcha.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know, it seems that WRs can be had just about anywhere in the draft and since the Steelers already have a proven #1 I don't think they should give up picks to select another potential #1 WR. Take Brandon Coleman in the 4th.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't know, it seems that WRs can be had just about anywhere in the draft and since the Steelers already have a proven #1 I don't think they should give up picks to select another potential #1 WR. Take Brandon Coleman in the 4th.

Pappy
    2. Donte Moncrief, WR, Miss St

3.98 -<tbd>

Administrator

User Info Menu

If the Steelers want to go offensive skill position, I would go with Evans or Ebron but I wouldn't give a pick for either. I think 1 will fall. If both are already selected then I'm just as content with a defensive skill position like Gilbert or Dennard.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    2. Donte Moncrief, WR, Miss St
    Two early in the draft for offense.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Two early in the draft for offense.

Pappy
    Free agency isn't done yet, Pap. if they get a Carrington, for example, you could lose Hageman from your mock (though, he has left without a contract).

Pretty sure we'll all have to revise, considering FA picks, etc. At one point, for example, we thought FS was in play for the 1st round pick.

3.98 -<tbd>