Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If we get 2 nice Wallace/Lewis comp picks would you be willing to trade up for Evans?

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

If we get 2 nice Wallace/Lewis comp picks would you be willing to trade up for Evans?

I'm thinking we get an extra pick at the end of round 3 for Wallace and an extra pick at the end of round 5 for Lewis (the comp picks were officially announced in mid-March last year, so official word may be coming soon...not sure if that determination gets pushed back a bit since the draft is now in May, though). I know that compensatory selections are not tradeable, but having those extra comps in our pocket might make it more likely that we'd be willing to part with our regular picks to move up for someone we really might want.

We don't have the ammunition to move up into the top 10 unless we are willing to part with our second round pick, and I'm not going there. Let's say that somehow Evans makes it past Buffalo and Detroit (perhaps the Bills opt for Ebron over Evans with their pick, waiting to take a wideout later because it is a deep WR class, and then Detroit goes for either Gilbert or Dennard at CB since they signed Golden Tate and re-signed Brandon Pettigrew).

What if Tennessee opts for Taylor Lewan at #11, because they just released their long-time RT David Stewart and their long-time LT Michael Roos is entering his 10th season? The Giants, who need OL help more than anything, would then likely be willing to trade down, since the big 3 OL would then be off the board (they could go for Notre Dame's Zack Martin, but he could be had a bit later, so a trade down could work with them, especially since we have a history of trading up with them in the past).

Such a trade would be important now to get ahead of the Rams (I assume they'll take one of the tackles, Robinson or Matthews with their earlier first round pick), and if Evans fell into their laps at #13, they would pounce on the opportunity to add a big target to team up with mighty mite Tavon Austin.

The last time we traded up with the Giants, we moved from 32 to 25 to get Santonio and it cost our 3rd and 4th. Would you be willing to move up from 15 to 12 for our 4th and 5th? Assuming the earlier comp pick projection holds true, that would still leave up with 6 draft picks, which is about right since we already used our 2014 3rd rounder on Shamarko Thomas. We'd have Evans at 12, then our regular 2nd rounder, a comp at the end of rounds 3 and 5, and then our regular 6th and 7th rounders.

I imagine they will get a 3rd, 5th, and 7th

And yes, trade up for Evans if you have the chance. The offense is good right now, but that makes it set until ben retires

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I imagine they will get a 3rd, 5th, and 7th

And yes, trade up for Evans if you have the chance. The offense is good right now, but that makes it set until ben retires
    We don't have a 3rd to trade (our 3rd belongs to Cleveland in the Shamarko Thomas deal) and even if we get a 3rd round comp for Wallace, comp picks are not tradeable.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We don't have a 3rd to trade (our 3rd belongs to Cleveland in the Shamarko Thomas deal) and even if we get a 3rd round comp for Wallace, comp picks are not tradeable.
    Im aware of that, which means they will have a 3rd rounder to use in the draft. People wont like a trade up, but i believe they will try and no one will lose any sleep over it once Evans is a day one starter

I don't want to trade up for Evans.

By the way, we might not receive any comp picks because of Tomlin's sideline episode and Dictator Roger Goodell taking away draft picks.

No. You trade up when you're getting a guy who is a difference maker, like no other in the draft. Trade up for Polamalu... yep, I'm good. But, unless you feel Evans is the next Calvin Johnson (who with all that size iirc, ran in the 4.3's), I just don't see it as a good move. Could Evans be Vincent Jackson, as a ceiling? Yup. But, again, iirc, he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder... As an aside, I'm pretty sure I mocked Vincent in his year...

If the guy fills the one hole that would make you a contender NOW, then, sure, trade up. A WR is NOT that guy. Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin... only guys in recent memory to have pro-bowl caliber rookie seasons.

Anyway, I'm more inclined to sit and take BPA from ILB, DL, WR, CB, etc... this team has enough needs that one player isn't going to net a return worthy of a trade up this year.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

They might dock the later round pick, but i believe that was only the intentions if the ravens missed the playoffs due to a points tie breaker, and they missed the playoffs because they suck

Pro Bowler
    no way. with all the holes on this team, we need the picks. and we need them to turn out
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    No. You trade up when you're getting a guy who is a difference maker, like no other in the draft. Trade up for Polamalu... yep, I'm good. But, unless you feel Evans is the next Calvin Johnson (who with all that size iirc, ran in the 4.3's), I just don't see it as a good move. Could Evans be Vincent Jackson, as a ceiling? Yup. But, again, iirc, he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder... As an aside, I'm pretty sure I mocked Vincent in his year...

If the guy fills the one hole that would make you a contender NOW, then, sure, trade up. A WR is NOT that guy. Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin... only guys in recent memory to have pro-bowl caliber rookie seasons.

Anyway, I'm more inclined to sit and take BPA from ILB, DL, WR, CB, etc... this team has enough needs that one player isn't going to net a return worthy of a trade up this year.
    The vincent jackson comparison is a favorite, hes much much smoother than Vjax though. Vjax tends to be heavy footed and somewhat of a long strider. Evans is more fluid and has a little more quickness in his step. The 40 time is great and all, but thats not where Evans is going to dominate (calvin wasnt drafted #2 because he ran a 4.35, even though that was amazing). Hes vincent jackson when the ball is in the air, but the rest of his game is more like Fitzgerald to me...and fitz didnt run as fast of a 40, he was actually much slower

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post

Very well said. I have to believe as difficult as it may be to lay in the weeds that is likely going to have to be our plan.Unless like Deville states it's that special guy. Could Matthews fall to 10 or 11 not likely but if he did .....we would have to make an offer.