Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gilbert vs. Dennard - state your case

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    New question...

If they trade back to the mid-20's and pick up maybe an early 3rd or late 2nd - do you take Kyle Fuller there or wait and see who is available in the 2nd?
    Absolutely....Fuller is more complete than either player. Will be a stud if he stays healthy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Absolutely....Fuller is more complete than either player. Will be a stud if he stays healthy

I think so too. Getting him in Round 2 would be a steal.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I am impressed with Gilbert's athleticism and ability to make teams pay for bad decisions or errant throws, but he gives up way too much in between. I do not think he is a great cover guy, just very opportunistic. Still...would you rather have a guy who allows 0 points or a guy who can score 7?

Dennard? He can lock down a receiver. Flat out. If you put on a game tape with no context to what you are watching, you wouldn't know who was running the route and who was covering because he is that smooth, decisive, and efficient in his coverage and smothering of receivers. He will make the occasional INT, but not as much of a threat to get the pick 6 at any time. Often it is because he forces the QB to throw it where neither he nor the receiver can get it.

Me? I'm taking Dennard hands down. I don't even know if I would want Gilbert. I think he will be exposed by NFL QBs who will make less mistakes and offenses with better receivers running better and more complex routes.

I see Dennard as a lock down CB, perennial pro-bowler. I think Gilbert will be a bust as a 1st rounder. I think he will make headlines and highlights here and there, but I think he will also become a liability.
    Dennard is a CB who can't make picks? Then it's a no brainer: He's a Steeler. Steelers specialize with DBs who can't make picks. They brag about it. I wonder if Clark is regretting that he was so dismissive about making picks as he sits with no suitors in free agency?
    Last edited by sick beats; 03-14-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Dennard surprises me that many steelers fans want him, hes very much like Ike with less that good hands but excellent awareness and ability to stick on the hips of a WR and get his head around to knock a pass down. His awareness in that regard is top notch, he wont get many PI calls because he plays the ball so well, but you see more passes defended than picks (something steeler fans are notorious for crying about).
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Dennard is a CB who can't make picks? Then it's a no brainer: He's a Steeler. Steelers specialize with DBs who can't make picks. They brag about it. I wonder if Clark is regretting that he was so dismissive about making picks as he sits with not suitors in free agency?
    I rest my case lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    This.

I have a lot of family up there. Many Lions fans are hot on the Dennard bandwagon right now.
    That just confirms my suspicion. These are two very close DBs in level of talent. It wouldn't shock me if they go with the guy who the locals will get more excited about.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dennard because I am a Spartan and that is all.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The thing that moves the needle for me in Dennard's way, is that he was a productive, multi-year (not 1 year wonder) member of what became a pretty dominant college defense. Their ability to stifle teams defensively, was probably in no small part due to his ability to lock up one side of the field.

The only thing that intrigues me about Gilbert, is in knowing just how "athletic" he is. If he brings Patrick Peterson-level freakiness, I'm probably on-board. If he brings just regular "athleticism (e.g. Malcolm Jenkins) then I'd tend to pass.

Bottom line being, we need an injection of leadership from this year's draft. If there is a guy available at 15, who brings an attitude shift on this team (Trent Murphy), I still lean in that direction.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    The thing that moves the needle for me in Dennard's way, is that he was a productive, multi-year (not 1 year wonder) member of what became a pretty dominant college defense. Their ability to stifle teams defensively, was probably in no small part due to his ability to lock up one side of the field.

The only thing that intrigues me about Gilbert, is in knowing just how "athletic" he is. If he brings Patrick Peterson-level freakiness, I'm probably on-board. If he brings just regular "athleticism (e.g. Malcolm Jenkins) then I'd tend to pass.

Bottom line being, we need an injection of leadership from this year's draft. If there is a guy available at 15, who brings an attitude shift on this team (Trent Murphy), I still lean in that direction.
    He was a superstar of the most dominant college D I have seen in recent years. That should say something. That tOSU O was record breaking...best in tOSU history and the MSU team was the first to slow them down.
    Trolls are people too.