Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert vs. Dennard - state your case

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I didnt say he would perfect it, but its not something hed come away from camp being weak at doing....Keenan Lewis and William Gay came out of their first training camp excellent tacklers for rookies it is stressed extremely hard for the DBs. They continued to get better and are both among the best tacklers at the position.

Hes not Cromartie/Mike Jenkins unwilling to tackle, honestly you see him in those videos a lot he is making coverage look easy most of the time
    I'm sure he'll be a first round pick, I just hope he isn't the Steelers first round pick. When you're talking a first round selection you get picky and that's all I was doing, the guy will, in all likelihood, be a good pro CB. It is my opinion that an equally good CB can be had in the second round. A player like Hageman (my preference), Evans, or Ebron probably aren't showing up in the second round, so they would be my first choice at this point based on the FA moves made by the Steelers so far.

Prior to the FA moves I didn't want an offensive player at 1.15, now, if Evans and/or Ebron are there and Hageman isn't, I'm all in for one of them.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm sure he'll be a first round pick, I just hope he isn't the Steelers first round pick. When you're talking a first round selection you get picky and that's all I was doing, the guy will, in all likelihood, be a good pro CB. It is my opinion that an equally good CB can be had in the second round. A player like Hageman (my preference), Evans, or Ebron probably aren't showing up in the second round, so they would be my first choice at this point based on the FA moves made by the Steelers so far.

Prior to the FA moves I didn't want an offensive player at 1.15, now, if Evans and/or Ebron are there and Hageman isn't, I'm all in for one of them.

Pappy
    Id have Evans and Ebron over both corners every time, just stating my case for Gilbert. We arent disagreeing, especially with Hageman, id want him even if they sign carrington

Legend

User Info Menu

Dee, I think your assessment is right on. Gilbert=better at making plays on the ball...true game changer in that regard. Dennard=shadow cover guy...true lock down in the family of a young Ike Taylor. I'm ok with either guy. The Lions are going with a DB...I would bet on it. I think they take the home grown product in Dennard leaving Gilbert for the Steelers. I think Dennard would make a bigger impact sooner as his game is very refined for a college guy. Gilbert is more raw...take more time but might have the higher ceiling.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Terry Hawthorne is a forgotten man too, wonder how his knee is holding up

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

New question...

If they trade back to the mid-20's and pick up maybe an early 3rd or late 2nd - do you take Kyle Fuller there or wait and see who is available in the 2nd?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You dont trade down, theres a player at 15 that they will be targeting.

I honestly expect them to try and move up for Evans

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Id have Evans and Ebron over both corners every time,
    Me too. I think they both would be difference makers
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The Lions are going with a DB...I would bet on it. I think they take the home grown product in Dennard leaving Gilbert for the Steelers.
    This.

I have a lot of family up there. Many Lions fans are hot on the Dennard bandwagon right now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Both these guys have climbed up draft boards since late in the season. I can't figure out why. Honestly, even though Roby really struggled this season (especially against Wisconsin), I still think Roby has similar pro potential to these guys.

The easiest way from me to describe these guys is by pro comparison. Gilbert is like DeAngelo Hall. He is a great athlete with speed. Gilbert is a little bigger, but he doesn't play any bigger. Both are ballhawks with return ability to take those picks to the house and to help on sp teams. Both gamble for INTs, get stuck on blocks, and both miss too many tackles (especially in the run game). Dennard is more Ike Taylor. He is not quite as big and has better hands than Taylor, but neither is a ballhawk. Both play well in a variety of schemes and are sound tacklers (willing and strong in run support). Both blanket talented receivers for the most part. But both have some trouble locating the ball and resort to a lot of clutching and grabbing when fooled. In the end, to me, Gilbert and Dennard are late first round talents. Verret and Roby are early second rounders. All 4 are in the same ballpark. I don't see enough of a difference to rank them a round apart. I would not take either Gilbert or Dennard at 15. But, if I had to pick one, I would probably go with Gilbert if Lake thought his tackling issues were correctable. Gilbert could develop in to an all-pro if he works at his craft (I'm not sure Dennard will be anything better than a solid pro at his best). As they are today, Dennard would be the Steelers pick. The Steelers don't like poor tacklers and guys who get stuck on blocks.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Id say Antonio Cromartie before Deangelo Hall, but i get what you are saying. Some guys can take chances and be very good, even make a career out of it....Cro, Samuel, ect...

Both of these guys are better than Dee Milliner, (I thought Xavier Rhodes was considerably better, but i was in the minority there), but neither are as good as Peterson or Claiborne (even though Gilbert similar to peterson, dennard similar to clai)