Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: They say it takes 5 years before you can evaluate a draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Being undrafted, Foster can't be included in the 2009 draft class discussion. I was specifically posting on the 2009 draft class, and how crappy it was.
    Funny... Donnie Shell is included in the '74 class.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Funny... Donnie Shell is included in the '74 class.
    Says who? I don't see him listed any where for the 1974 Steelers' draft.

[url]http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1974[/url]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Says who? I don't see him listed any where for the 1974 Steelers' draft.

[URL]http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1974[/URL]
    Depends upon who you ask:

[url]http://www.listology.com/podizz/list/top-11-team-draft-classes-nfl-history[/url]

1. 74 Steelers- Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, Johnny Stallworth, Mike Webster, Donnie Shell

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Depends upon who you ask:

[url]http://www.listology.com/podizz/list/top-11-team-draft-classes-nfl-history[/url]
    So, this random website listed Shell erroneously. They are wrong. He wasn't in the draft class. He wasn't drafted, hence can not me factually listed in the draft class. He was signed as a free agent. Not drafted. They can also tell us that water is made of fairy tears but it doesn't make it true.

Legend

User Info Menu

Often, when they talk about the greatest class of all-time, he IS included. NFL Network included him. Just sayin
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    If you combine '08 with '09 you have consecutive years with less than stellar drafts. '08 was horrendous - Mendenhall (at least got some productive seasons out of him), Sweed (total bust), Davis (huge reach and a total bust), Hills (never developed and spent most of his time inactive), Dixon (inconsistent at best), Humpal (injured but was ST only even if healthy) and then Mundy (solid late choice who's developed). This '08 draft was a killer.

I agree.

But it wasn't just the Steelers missing in '08. Check out the rest of the league's picks, a lot of them faired about as well. Tells me it was just a poor talent year. Unlike this year's draft which is reported to be deepest in 30 yrs. If the Steelers miss this year, then we have very good cause to be concerned that something needs to be done in the org.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Shell would be added in the 74 draft because he was a draft eligible rookie. Free Agents are still considered draft eligible and fall in the draft class that they were originally signed in.

Rookie

User Info Menu

So, this random website listed Shell erroneously. They are wrong. He wasn't in the draft class. He wasn't drafted, hence can not me factually listed in the draft class. He was signed as a free agent. Not drafted. They can also tell us that water is made of fairy tears but it doesn't make it true.
    The website you listed is "footballdb"...I don't know Patrick Gilligan...why is he any more credible than any other random website?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Often, when they talk about the greatest class of all-time, he IS included. NFL Network included him. Just sayin
    So, we should just trust some random football TV network? Did they happen to mention fairy tears?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The correct way to list it, would be that 1974 draft was one of the best ever, PLUS they added Shell as a undrafted rookie free agent. I don't really care.