Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals Release James Harrison

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    says who? between Carter, Spence and Vince (or whoever they bring in to battle with the young ILB guys) it's not a requirement. Debo has earned that much.

Besides, there were years where STARTERS played ST because those backups sucked. Wouldn't be suprirsed to see Jarvis on ST before Debo would...
    Jones was actually pretty good on special teams last year. No reason he couldn't do it again. Harrison played special teams when he was a starter to help the units.

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Steelers have talked about James Harrison return

Posted by Josh Alper on March 19, 2014

Linebacker James Harrison said this week that he’d like to return to the Steelers after spending the 2013 season as a member of the Bengals and such a reunion does not appear to be out of the question.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that there is “mutual attraction” between the team and player and that the Steelers have talked about bringing Harrison back to the place where he made five Pro Bowls. It’s not clear how close they might be to talking about a deal with Harrison rather than among themselves, but Bouchette says it is “quite possible” that things work out for Harrison and the Steelers.

With Jason Worilds and Jarvis Jones installed at outside linebacker, the Steelers wouldn’t be looking for Harrison to fill a starting role with the team. Harrison didn’t do much as a pass rusher last season, but did well against the run and is already familiar with Pittsburgh’s defensive scheme. That’s likely appealing to the Steelers as Chris Carter is their most experienced backup at the position right now.

And, as Bouchette points out, the Steelers would be at very little financial risk if the end of camp rolls around and Harrison hasn’t shown he can handle a defensive role with the team during the season.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/report-steelers-have-talked-about-james-harrison-return/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

by Gerry Dulac

Jack Splat: I say better than 70% chance Harrison is th 3rd OLB for 2014. Accurate guess?

Gerry Dulac: Odds might be a little high, but I'd say better than 50-50.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/03/19/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-3-19-14/stories/201403190168#ixzz2wX0Slono[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    by Gerry Dulac

Jack Splat: I say better than 70% chance Harrison is th 3rd OLB for 2014. Accurate guess?
    SOOO that means 15 percent chance he is our number one and 15 percent chance he is number 2.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

From what I know about the Steelers F.O. I'd guess there's about a 10% chance or less he signs with us.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Ex-Steelers LB James Harrison leaves Arizona without a contract

By Jeff.Hartman

The ex-Steelers LB and former defensive player of the year, James Harrison, met with the Arizona Cardinals, but per his agent they "couldn't make the numbers work."

"Couldn't make the numbers work," said Harrison's agent, Bill Parise. #AZCardinals
    — Kent Somers (@kentsomers) August 29, 2014

Unlike Brett Keisel, James Harrison at least made the trip to Arizona to meet with Bruce Arians and the Cardinals. However, Harrison is leaving the desert without a contract and his NFL future still up in the air.

Harrison has yet to prove that he can still play at a level that even resembles his former self that won a defensive player of the year award and accomplished possibly the greatest play in Super Bowl history, but now the question of whether he will even get a chance to prove his worth will even take place.

Arians told reporters that he met with Harrison, but as Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, told Kent Somers of AZcentral.com, they "couldn't make the numbers work."

Harrison leaving without a deal leaves the door open for a return to the Pittsburgh Steelers, if the organization deems that their depth and talent at outside linebacker isn't up to the standard it will take to win.

However, Harrison leaving Arizona without a deal because they "couldn't make the numbers work" shows that the veteran linebacker is not going to play for a league minimum contract, or anything he deems lessens his overall value as a player.

As the NFL season approaches, Harrison's time to jump on a team's roster is quickly dwindling.

[URL]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-steelers-lb-james-harrison-224758675.html[/URL]

Backup

User Info Menu

Or maybe James thinking is If I am going to play for Vet minimum . I will do it close to home in Pittsburgh. Maybe there has been some talk.

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL... I bet JH was checking his phone as soon as the plane landed in AZ. I think we are good to go at OLB, call him when Worilds gets hurt....

Rookie

User Info Menu

James Harrison announces retirement

By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The NFL Editor
    Published: Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:33 a.m. Updated: Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:41 a.m.
    James Harrison will one day be the subject of an interesting discussion for the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee. That discussion, we know now, can begin to take place five years from now.

Harrison announced his retirement on Saturday, just days after visiting the Arizona Cardinals.

"I have made the difficult decision to retire as of today," Harrison said in a statement released on Facebook. "My love for my family and the need to be there for them outweighs my desire to play the game. I have missed too many experiences with them because I devoted SO much time to my career.

"My love for the game isn't strong enough to make up for missing one more birthday or first day of school. I am retiring as a man who is truly grateful for all of his blessings. I am sincerely thankful to the people who have supported me over the years, first and foremost my family, the Rooney family and my Steeler family, also Mr. Brown, the Bengals organization and fans, and last but FAR from least, Steeler Nation. Thank you."

Harrison played one season in Cincinnati after ten years in Pittsburgh. He was released multiple times early in his career, and then settled in as a rare used backup in Pittsburgh for four seasons. He finally became a starter -- and a star -- at age 29. He wound up making the Pro Bowl five times, being a first-team All Pro twice, and winning the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year award. (We also thought he had a strong case for the award after the 2010 season in which the Steelers lost the Super Bowl.)

Ultimately, we suspect Harrison's peak will be too short to make it into the Hall of Fame. But he'll go down as one of the most memorable -- and feared -- players of his generation.

Starter

User Info Menu

ESPN reports that James Harrison announces his retirement from the NFL.