Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Alex Carrington

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    That's my whole point! Guys leave teams via free agency every year. You can't categorize it as "jumping ship" just because the Steelers are coming off back to back 8-8 years. Guys left during the Super Bowl years too!

I agree with you guys that we need impact players on Defense. 100% agree. That's not happening through free agency, though. It never has with the Steelers. It has to happen through the draft and our own player development. I'm excited to see how Hayward progresses. How Worilds looks as a full-timer. How Jarvis progresses in his second season as he's reacting, not thinking.
    The Steelers have always tried to get players through the draft. However, they have often found impact players in FA. Farrior, Kimo and Clark are modern examples of this. Even signing Mitchell should be a huge impact on the defense. I'm just disappointed in the evaluation of draft talent. You need both FAs and draft talent to win. They are doing ok in FA but their drafts have been below the line the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The Steelers have always tried to get players through the draft. However, they have often found impact players in FA. Farrior, Kimo and Clark are modern examples of this. Even signing Mitchell should be a huge impact on the defense. I'm just disappointed in the evaluation of draft talent. You need both FAs and draft talent to win. They are doing ok in FA but their drafts have been below the line the past few years.
    The draft talent was below the line in 2008 and 2009 (except for Wallace and Lewis)...

2010 was a good draft: Pouncey, Worilds, Brown (also Dwyer and Sanders)
    2011 was a good draft: Heyward, Allen, Gilbert2012 was a good draft: DeCastro, Adams, Beachum (possibly Spence)
    The class of 2013 needs to step it up this year (Jones, Bell, Wheaton, Thomas...even both Williams and and Justin Brown will have an opportunity)...

But, '08 and '09 were killers...

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The draft talent was below the line in 2008 and 2009 (except for Wallace and Lewis)...

2010 was a good draft: Pouncey, Worilds, Brown (also Dwyer and Sanders)
    2011 was a good draft: Heyward, Allen, Gilbert2012 was a good draft: DeCastro, Adams, Beachum (possibly Spence)
    The class of 2013 needs to step it up this year (Jones, Bell, Wheaton, Thomas...even both Williams and and Justin Brown will have an opportunity)...

But, '08 and '09 were killers...
    2010 was decent but Worilds has played 8 good games all year. He was so bad on the right side that they benched him for Jones. Also Worilds has been hurt every year he has played. And that's been part time work. Brown was a great pick. Pouncey is still up in the air to me. He's been injured a lot as well even if it isn't his fault. He was also easily replaced by a guy that was sitting in church the week before.

2011 is ok with Heyward but Gilbert has been a disaster. They had to move Adams over to TE to help him at RT. Allen is still learning. Adams absolutely blows at LT and Spence hasn't played a single down.

You need to find studs somewhere. The draft hasn't garnered any lately with the exception of Heyward and Brown. Players like Adams and Gilbert hurt your drafting because they are high picks that can't seem to put it together. Hell it takes both of them to just play RT.

Hopefully this year we can get more players that can actually play above average.

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Keisel's on FB and started a chant on there--- re-sign 99.....
    Forget a chant......
    Brett deserves a song featuring multiple keyboards, two finger pianiast,sythesizer filled, white dudes lookin like Gherri Curls, classic MTV 80s.

Funny thing is that when we come crawling back begging him to sign after "courting" other DEs, the lyrics would be shockingly on point.
    Brett should make Colbert and Tomlin sing him this song, put on an 80s "Toto" wigs and post it on youtube as a condition of signing.

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-26-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    There should be some kind of rule that makes all Steeler-related threads carry at least 1 Toto film clip, just to restore a bit of sanity to the argument.

That, or we must all quote Steven Seagal at every given opportunity.

But then again, don't ask me...I'm just a cook..
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    There should be some kind of rule that makes all Steeler-related threads carry at least 1 Toto film clip, just to restore a bit of sanity to the argument.

That, or we must all quote Steven Seagal at every given opportunity.

But then again, don't ask me...I'm just a kook..
    I fixed that for you.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    filth flarn filth flarn
    I'm now picturing SoD saying this while wearing an ugly Cosby sweater, with a Jello Pudding Pop in one hand and the Picturepages pen in the other...

Numbers are out. The Rams got Carrington for one year, $1.5 million.

Doesn't sound to me as though the Steelers were ever very serious about him.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Numbers are out. The Rams got Carrington for one year, $1.5 million.

Doesn't sound to me as though the Steelers were ever very serious about him.
    Wow... seems like a very modest price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Wow... seems like a very modest price.
    Yeah...I believe the Steelers paid more for Cam Thomas, $2 million per year. Although Carrington got $1 million of his salary guaranteed (per KFFL). Don't know how much of Thomas' salary, if any, is guaranteed.