Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Johnson Signs with Chargers

Legend

User Info Menu

David Johnson Signs with Chargers

I'm shocked that this guy got a two year contract. Oh well, for a seventh rounder, you could do a lot worse.

[URL="https://twitter.com/RavensInsider"]Aaron Wilson@RavensInsider [/URL] [URL="https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/443827674159792128"]1m[/URL]
    Chargers announce two-year contract for former Steelers tight end David Johnson

Legend

User Info Menu

Chargers sign former Steelers TE David Johnson to 2-year deal

By SteelCityRoller on Mar 12 2014

Another homegrown prospect has moved on to greener pastures as David Johnson signs with the San Diego Chargers for two years.

Whether you appreciated the fact a late-round draft pick earned his way into regular playing time through versatility, or you blamed him for his role in the Rashard Mendenhall fumble during their loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV; few Pittsburgh Steelers fans will forget the name David Johnson.

Johnson was a tight end-turned full back-turned back to a tight end during his stay in Pittsburgh. Former offensive coordinator used Johnson as a hybird of the two. Head coach Mike Tomlin and current OC Todd Haley admired his blocking ability at both standard spots. Evidently, they weren't the only ones who appreciated what Johnson brought to the table.

With Heath Miller receiving a contract extension recently and Matt Spaeth under contract for the upcoming season to be the second TE, the Steelers probably weren't offering much incentive for Johnson to stay. While terms of his new deal have yet to be disclosed, Johnson was most likely just looking to extend his tumultuous young career.

If Johnson's health can hold up in San Diego, his blocking proficiency could become an asset to a team struggling to maintain an identity in the run game to open up more opportunities for Philip Rivers, Keenan Allen and the passing game. Johnson proved in Pittsburgh he also has capable hands as a receiver, and could be utilized as a red zone and short yardage threat while defenses key on Allen and Antonio Gates.

Meanwhile, Pittsburgh will move on without Johnson. Will Johnson has put a chokehold on the fullback position, and the team team will most likely look to the draft or free agency to fill out the bottom of their depth chart.

Johnson won't be remembered as a marquee name of the Steelers modern championship era, but he did become an integral part of those teams. Not bad for a player drafted low with expectations to match.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/3/12/5501466/chargers-sign-former-steelers-te-david-johnson-to-2-year-deal[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow, what a loss...NOT! Giving Johnson a two year contract is laughable.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

That's great!! That should bring us a third round comp pick next year!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

oh darn, there go our Super Bowl chances for next season...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm shocked that this guy got a two year contract. Oh well, for a seventh rounder, you could do a lot worse.

[URL="https://twitter.com/RavensInsider"]Aaron Wilson@RavensInsider [/URL] [URL="https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/443827674159792128"]1m[/URL]
    Chargers announce two-year contract for former Steelers tight end David Johnson
    Thank you Chargers.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thank the lord, can they take Paulson also

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

few Pittsburgh Steelers fans will forget the name David Johnson.
    I already had. Now I am glad I can go back to forgetting it. He sucked as a FB, never really became a legit lead block, was a waste of time there. Could barely catch as a TE; I never knew WTF they saw in this guy. Let me guess: He practiced hard and had a good attitude. Great, that and a buck buys you a non Star Bucks coffee. I would much more want a traditional FB instead of someone who really isn't very good at any one thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Or we can take Will Johnson.. who is athletic, a great lead blocker...can catch passes, line up at Tight End..etc BYE BYE D.JOHNSON! Best of luck.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Thank the lord, can they take Paulson also
    And Spaeth too.