Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My FA List...Guys I would target as Steelers Front office

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

definitely about done....could see them bringing back cotch, LSH, and MAYBE extending worilds

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Retweeted by Ed Bouchette:

Least cap room in the NFL as of midnight: 1) New Orleans $2.4M, 2) Pittsburgh $6.1M, 3) Detroit $7.5M, 4) Carolina $8.0M, 5) Chicago $8.2M.

[URL]https://twitter.com/EdBouchette[/URL]
    After Wallace and Warren signed (I'm betting on an impact of $1.5 million or so), that should leave them $4 million or so to sign Cotchery and perhaps add one more outside free agent.

They'll still need some more room, either through Roethlisberger or Worilds signing a long-term deal, to make any more additions, but they are ok cap wise for now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers: Options at RB and WR in Free Agency

BY KIM MYERS - MAR 18TH, 2014

The Steelers seemingly set out at the start of free agency with the objective to get the defense younger. At this point they can consider that mission accomplished. While there are certainly more moves that can be made, the signings of Mike Mitchell and Cam Thomas have certainly provided some youth and depth for the defense. Now, with the departures of free agents Emmanuel Sanders and Jonathan Dwyer, the offensive unit could use some attention as well. What’s left in the free agent market for the Steelers at running back and wide receiver?

After Monday’s re-signing of offensive lineman Guy Whimper, the Steelers remain just less than $3 million under the salary cap at this point. Now there can still be some restructures/extensions happening with players like Lawrence Timmons and of course Ben Roethlisberger, as well as signing Jason Worilds to a long-term contract to lessen his cap hit to create more cap space if the Steelers intend on doing some more free agency shopping.

For the running back position, the needs are clear; Le’Veon Bell is the starter first and foremost so a backup running back, with some experience to help spell the soon-to-be sophomore halfback would be ideal.

According to CBSSports.com the remaining running backs in what they consider to be the top-15 are:

Knowshon Moreno

Maurice Jones-Drew

LeGarrette Blount

John Kuhn

Vonta Leach (FB)

Andre Brown

Le’Ron McClain

Michael Bush

Green Bay’s James Starks had a meeting with the Steelers scheduled for Tuesday, but cancelled it after re-signing with the Packers. I don’t know if the Steelers would be shopping in the top tier of available free agent running backs, considering they wouldn’t be needing to overpay for a backup. Keep in mind that LaRod Stephens-Howling and Felix Jones are still available as well, for what it’s worth.

This years’ draft is reportedly very thin at running back as it was last year as none are expected to go in the first round so that, along with the inexperience of Bell as the starter would lead me to think that a veteran (on the younger side of “veteran”) would be a great pickup at the right price. Unfortunately, those guys just don’t grow on trees.

The options at wide receiver get a little trickier. When it comes to the Steelers depth chart right now, Antonio Brown is the undisputed #1 receiver on the team, but life without the possibility of a veteran like Jerricho Cotchery looks pretty dim considering the minimal experience of the guys behind Brown. Not necessarily the lineup of receivers you’d give to a quarterback like Roethlisberger to work with.

CBS Sports says that the remaining available wide receivers of their Top 22 free agents are:

Miles Austin

Devin Hester

Kenny Britt

Santonio Holmes

Sidney Rice

Lance Moore

Jacoby Ford

Jerricho Cotchery

Jason Avant

Now some of those guys on that list are still looking for top WR money, so there’s no use in even entertaining the idea of them. Notice that they’ve ranked Lance Moore, who has a meeting scheduled with the Steelers on Tuesday, ahead of Jerricho Cotchery, who is meeting with the Carolina Panthers currently. Moore is coming off of a bad year in 2013 while Cotchery is coming off of a career-high year and both are relatively the same age. Moore had a career-high year in 2012, while Cotchery’s 2012 numbers are way lower than last year’s. While I think Steeler Nation, including Ben Roethlisberger, would prefer Cotchery return over the addition of Moore, I think there might not be that big of a drop off between the two.

When it comes to the draft, the Steelers can go nuts at wide receiver if they want to, that’s how deep it is. Still, you’d like to provide Roethlisberger with a little bit more proven weapons than Brown and some young guys wouldn’t you?

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2014/03/18/pittsburgh-steelers-options-rb-wr-free-agency/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would give Knowshon Moreno a call to see what he is asking. He has had no visits at all so far. He ran pretty hard last year. 1600 yards from scrimmage I believe. A rough start to his career but I think the light turned on.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I would give Knowshon Moreno a call to see what he is asking. He has had no visits at all so far. He ran pretty hard last year. 1600 yards from scrimmage I believe. A rough start to his career but I think the light turned on.
    He was very solid and versatile. Surprised that Denver hasn't tried to bring him back. Ball ran well for them late in the year, but Moreno had Manning's trust, in part because of his pass protection.

He'd be a great add, but I doubt it happens.

Legend

User Info Menu

by Gerry Dulac

Luke: Still thinking there will be 1 more higher profile FA pick up?

Gerry Dulac: No, that went out the window when LB Mike Neal re-signed with the Packers.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/03/19/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-3-19-14/stories/201403190168#ixzz2wWzAFx3b[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    by Gerry Dulac

Guest: U think the steelers will look at Moreno?

Gerry Dulac: I think they should. But it depends on the price. If he wants starter money, forget it.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/03/19/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-3-19-14/stories/201403190168#ixzz2wX0veGx2[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    by Gerry Dulac

Guest: U think the steelers will look at Moreno?

Gerry Dulac: I think they should. But it depends on the price. If he wants starter money, forget it.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/03/19/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-3-19-14/stories/201403190168#ixzz2wX0veGx2[/URL]
    I am sure Moreno and his agent are confusing his fantasy value with his real football value. I would rather have MJD as the #2 back. Don't think Moreno wants to be a #2 at this point. Looking to cash in I am sure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers meet with DB Chris Owens Thursday

By Neal Coolong on Mar 20 2014

A move that somehow received less attention than the meeting with Maurice Jones-Drew, the Steelers look to add some depth in their secondary and special teams.

Perhaps ex-Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew passed defensive back Chris Owens in the hallway of the South Side facility Thursday.

Jones-Drew left reportedly without a contract. Owens was there to talk about possibly signing one with the Steelers, writes Baltimore Sun and National Football Post's Aaron Wilson.

The Steelers signed free safety Mike Mitchell at the onset of free agency, and Owens, a fifth-year pro out of San Jose State, would likely be nothing more than a reserve defensive back and special teams player. He spent his first five years in the league with Atlanta, Cleveland and Miami.

Owens has three interceptions, two forced fumbles and 3.5 career sacks. He reportedly also visited with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in free agency.

The Steelers aren't flush with cap room but still have enough right now to sign a player to a lower-end deal. Their depth at wide receiver took something of a hit when Jerricho Cotchery signed with the Carolina Panthers, and they have reportedly met with free agent Lance Moore about a spot with the team.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-steelers-free-agency/2014/3/20/5530528/steelers-free-agency-2014-chris-owens-visit?utm_source=behindthesteelcurtain&utm_medium= nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha