Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: FS Mike Mitchell is coming over from the Panthers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He was a "bust" in oakland because he was a small school prospect that ran a great time but needed some time to acclimate to the NFL. A borderline UDFA guy vaulted himself into a 2nd round pick based on speed. He had and still has a lot to do and a lot of room to grow as a player. Very very cap friendly deal though

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

For the guys that watched his tape does he play fast with pads on? I like a faster 40 time but some of these fast 40 guys don't seem to play that fast with pads on. Also I hope this works out better then D. Van Dyke. Really was hoping he could turn it around here with Lake. Maybe should have tried him at FS?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He is a missile

Van Dyke had fantastic speed, but the rest of his physical tools were lacking for an NFL player

Legend

User Info Menu

David Todd ‏@DavidMTodd:

New #Steeler @MikeMitchell34 killed it at his presser today. Very impressive. If he plays that well huge win for Black & Gold.

[URL]https://twitter.com/DavidMTodd[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    David Todd ‏@DavidMTodd:

New #Steeler @MikeMitchell34 killed it at his presser today. Very impressive. If he plays that well huge win for Black & Gold.

[URL]https://twitter.com/DavidMTodd[/URL]
    But as we all know, talking and playing are two different things.

I'm glad Mitchell is an impressive talker...I guess. I'm way more interested in whether he's impressive in game action for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' Colbert: Mitchell deal sealed Woodley fate

March 23, 2014
    By Alan Robinson

ORLANDO, Fla. — As it turned out, it wasn't Jason Worilds who ended LaMarr Woodley's stay with the Steelers. It was Mike Mitchell.

A month ago, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said it was possible financially to keep both Worilds and Woodley. But when the Steelers committed $25 million to sign Mitchell — even though the free safety is guaranteed only about one-fifth that sum — the flexibility to keep Woodley ended, Colbert said.

“Yeah, we could have (kept them both), but at what cost to the rest of what we're able to do?” Colbert said Sunday at the annual NFL meetings. “When it came down to it, when we really started to analyze where we were going to be … free safety was going to be the first target. When we were able to take care of that, it was going to be hard to keep both LaMarr and Jason.”

Woodley is a former Pro Bowl outside linebacker, while Worilds was a disappointment for 31⁄2 seasons before breaking out with seven sacks in the final eight games last season. Still, given Worilds' production outburst and 3½-year age advantage, and Woodley's three successive injury-disrupted seasons, the Steelers are convinced they made the right choice.

Woodley has since signed with the Oakland Raiders.

“Jason's coming off a highly productive year, and LaMarr wasn't, and we had to make a tough call,” Colbert said. “But any time you release a guy who's been part of your success, it's never easy, especially when you think that player has football left in him, as we do LaMarr.”

The Steelers designated Worilds as their transition player to keep him for 2014 — it could cost them $9.7 million — but it's likely they'll try to work out a multi-year contract to reduce their salary cap hit.

“We'll see where it goes with the rest of free agency and the draft and if it makes sense for both sides. But when we use the (transition) tag, we always use it with the thought of trying to get him signed to a long-term deal,” Colbert said. “That's certainly our hope, and I believe that's his wish as well. Usually, if you both have the same goal, it will work out at some point.”

Worilds' production took off when he replaced the injured Woodley at left outside linebacker after playing mostly on the right side until then. To coach Mike Tomlin, the switch in sides allowed Worilds to become the pass rusher the Steelers envisioned when they drafted him in 2010.

“I don't know that (Worilds) was any different. I just think the animal that he faces is a different animal,” Tomlin said. “That right tackle is a little different animal than the left tackle. I think if you're really looking for differences in performance or highlighting differences in performance, the true answer might be there as opposed to what Jason is doing.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5819138-74/woodley-worilds-steelers#ixzz2wqwv0ovq[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

you would think the left tackle would be harder to face than the right tackle.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you would think the left tackle would be harder to face than the right tackle.
    It is...on the left side of the D, Worilds faces the offensive RT...

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It is...on the left side of the D, Worilds faces the offensive RT...
    I wondered about this myself. As it's generally easier to rush from the left side of the defense (vs. Right Tackle) would they consider switching JJ and Worilds? Give the more experienced guy the task of rushing vs. the opposing LT?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I wondered about this myself. As it's generally easier to rush from the left side of the defense (vs. Right Tackle) would they consider switching JJ and Worilds? Give the more experienced guy the task of rushing vs. the opposing LT?
    Because Worilds was ineffective on the right side of the D...

JJ is your #1 pick...he gets first crack at the job...that's why you hire Joey Porter, to help your #1 pick succeed...