Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: FS Mike Mitchell is coming over from the Panthers

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Taking nix is not like taking Lotuleilei and K. Short, and having Kuechly and Greg Hardy turn into monsters. If thats the result you are looking for, Nix will be mighty disappointing
    its not...

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Who was the steelers last "true centerfielder" lol

Talking about it like a centerfielder is its own position is hilarious

There are 3 "true centerfielders" in the league....Thomas, Byrd, Reed

Thomas gets to play single high almost all the time with the outside guys playing press man and Chancellor in the box. Byrd and Reed are/were true rangy ball hawks. Steelers have not had a safety that fits that description in my lifetime.

Everyone wants the next ball hawking FS and the next "former basketball player" TE matchup...steelers currently have neither, maybe they will find one though. For not Mike Mitchell is a great signing

With Mitchell only getting 5.25 mil in guaranteed money and cap hits annually a 1.7 - 2.95 - and then three years at 5.95, its extremely cap friendly and basically a 2 year prove yourself deal
    One of my favorite comments on this board is.... "1.<enter pick # here> is to high for a safety. There is no Ed Reed or Troy in this draft".

New Flash! Troy and Reed are 2 of the best safeties in NFL history and are both 1st ballot HOFers. The NFL **MIGHT** see a guy like that every 10-20 years... they don't grow on trees. People make it sound like they get drafted every other year. If that is people's draft expectation then every 1st rounder will be labelled a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by passhappy View Post
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider ∑ 12m
    Mike Mitchell Steelers deal: five years, $25 million, $5.25 million guaranteed, $4.75 million bonus, salaries $750,000, $2M, $5M, $5M, $5M
    That is actually a very favorable contract for the Steelers. If Mitchell doesn't work out this year, the Steelers can walk away with just $3.8 million in dead money. If Mitchell continues to build on his success, the numbers for the rest of the contract are reasonable enough, especially if the cap continues to increase significantly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Excellent signing. Upside, starting ability & an instant upgrade.

And at 27, takes away the need to draft a FS.
    I am pleasantly surprised. It's been a while since they have added a FA of note. This guy looks perfect. He can hit, cover, make pics. And he is in his prime. Solid move.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    One of my favorite comments on this board is.... "1.<enter pick # here> is to high for a safety. There is no Ed Reed or Troy in this draft".

New Flash! Troy and Reed are 2 of the best safeties in NFL history and are both 1st ballot HOFers. The NFL **MIGHT** see a guy like that every 10-20 years... they don't grow on trees. People make it sound like they get drafted every other year. If that is people's draft expectation then every 1st rounder will be labelled a bust.
    I have said that, but I didn't stop with just TP and ER. I would also accept a safety in the first round on the level of Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, McCourty, Whitner, Cam Chancellor, Jairus Byrd...are all those players also "once in a lifetime" players too? If you ain't gonna get a player on their levels, a safety ain't worth a top 15 pick. Pgh just filled that hole with this signing, so the point in now moot. Only Ha Ha and Pryor will possibly go in the first round, so I guess the world agrees with me.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    What was Carolina's price?
    Carolina's offer < Steeler's offer.

And those numbers are awesome! Very little guaranteed money. I was concerned we'd give him twice that much in guarantees.

We may get out of cap hell yet!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Steelers bank on Mitchell to help secondary

March, 11, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

Mike Mitchell will replace Ryan Clark in Pittsburgh's secondary.

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers made an earlier-than-usual foray into free agency.

In the process they got younger and faster in the secondary and found a new running mate for Troy Polamalu on the back end of their defense.

The signing of Mike Mitchell -- the former Panthers safety agreed to a five-year, $25 million contract per ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter -- confirms that the Steelers werenít just willing to address their defensive backfield through the draft.

Mitchell, who turns 27 in June, fits the profile of the defensive backs that the Steelers had inquired about prior to the start of free agency. He is young but has starting experience and will help the Steelers immediately, something they are loathe to expect out of rookies.

Mitchell spent his first four seasons with the Raiders but came into his own after signing a one-year deal with the Panthers last year. Starting on a regular basis for the first time in his career, Mitchell recorded 66 tackles while intercepting four passes and forcing a pair of fumbles in 15 games.

The 6-foot, 215-pounder will take over at free safety for Ryan Clark, and the Steelers hope they get a return from Mitchell similar to what they received from Clark after signing him to a four-year, $7 million contract in 2006.

Clark started eight seasons after signing with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent, and he and Polamalu became close friends and played as well off one another as any safety tandem in the NFL before age starting catching up with the duo.

The Mitchell signing drops the curtain on Clarkís Steelers career though he said on ESPNís "NFL Live" on Tuesday that he intends to keep playing.

It is also the latest move that will shape the Steelersí secondary in 2014 and the first one that should provide stability beyond next season.

The Steelers had previously re-signed Polamalu to a three-year contract and restructured cornerback Ike Taylor's contact with the 11th-year veteran accepting a $4.5 million pay cut.

Taylorís new deal put the Steelers around $7 million under the salary cap, allowing them to sign the biggest free agent from a financial standpoint since Mike Tomlin took over as head coach in 2007.

The Steelers generally wait until after the frenzied first wave of free agency before going shopping.

They have made exceptions as far as pursuing higher-profile free agents, and the Steelers hit pay dirt in the early 2000s when they signed center Jeff Hartings and linebacker James Farrior in back-to-back years.

Hartings, who signed with the Steelers in 2001, continued the line of excellence that the Steelers have enjoyed at center. Farrior, who signed with the Steelers the year after Hartings, blossomed into one of the best inside linebackers in the NFL and became one of the driving forces behind a run in which the Steelers won a pair of Super Bowls and played in three of them from 2005-10.

The Steelers didnít do nearly as well in 2007 when they signed former Buccaneers center Sean Mahan to a five-year, $17 million contract. Mahan lasted just one season in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers traded him to the Buccaneers in 2008 after he lost his starting job to Justin Hartwig.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...help-secondary

Backup
    I'm really excited about this signing. The FO made a move on this guy pretty darn quick. And they were quite hush-hush about it. He will have Carnell Lake to help continue his development. To me, this is a player on the upswing and I think we will benefit greatly from this pickup.

The secondary just improved by a good margin. There is still some work to be done, but I feel more confident in the position we are in heading into the draft. Just like the Steelers to lock down as many needs as possible and get into a position for success with the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Let me tell you what I like most about Mitchell. Check out the video in that link...his interview. That is exactly what the Steelers need right now.
    wow! love it!
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    At first glance, I didn't like the signing. We never sign anyone on day one of free agency when prices are at a premium (even when we weren't trying to dig ourselves out of cap hell) and when we finally do it, we give $25 million over 5 years to a guy who was a typical Al Davis draft bust draft pick until he signs a 1 year $1 million contract with Carolina and thrives with a dominant front 7 in front of him.

However, now that the details are in, it looks much better. Only $5.75 million of that $25 million is guaranteed, with $4.75 million in signing bonus (pro-rated cap hit of $950K per season over the life of the deal). With a 2014 base salary of $750K and a half-million dollar roster bonus, plus the pro-rated portion of the signing bonus, he will only count $2.2 million against the cap this year. Nice. Next year, he is due a roster bonus of $2 million in March and is scheduled to make $2 million in base salary (with the pro-rated SB figured in, that's a $4.95 cap hit). If he's absolutely awful this season and we cut him before that $2 million roster bonus comes due a year from now, he'd count for $3.8 million against the cap (not sure if you can cut a guy before a roster bonus comes due and still designate it a post-June 1 cut, but if that's possible, then it could be split up with $950K against the 2015 cap and $2.85 against the 2016 cap). His cap hit for the 2016, 2017, and 2018 seasons is $5.95 million each season ($5 million base plus prorated SB). If we cut him after 2 seasons, then it would a $2.85 total cap hit (can be split into $950K in 2016 and $1.9 million in 2018 if after June 1st). If we cut him after 3 seasons, then it would a $1.9 total cap hit (can be split into $950K in 2017 and $950K in 2018 if after June 1st).

So essentially, the money's pretty reasonable. If he's the guy we saw in Oakland, we keep him for a year or two and it won't be a cap-crippling dead money hit to let him go. If he's the guy we saw in Carolina, then the $5.95 cap hit could be considered a relative bargain when 2016, 2017, and 2018 roll around (especially considering the anticipated growth in the cap ceiling over the next few years).

I'm not overly concerned about the SS/FS designation. In today's NFL, strong safeties and free safeties are essentially interchangeable. Both need to be able to play the pass well and play the run well...if you are one dimensional, then other teams are able to take advantage of that deficiency. If you think about the style of safety who has played with Troy Polamalu over his career here (Chris Hope and Ryan Clark), both had styles very similar to what we see from Mitchell, so Troy is used to playing with a guy like that (except that Mitchell also has elite speed that Hope or Clark never had).