Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: FS Mike Mitchell is coming over from the Panthers

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    This whole notion is absurd that Troy P. played ILB last year.
    When I see Troy playing ILB in a base 3-4 set, then i'll call him an ILB.

I remember Chris Oldham playing the same role under Cowher in the DIME.
    I never said he was playing ILB. The coaches even admitted Troy was moved inside in the base defense to help support against the run because of injuries. Relax.
    Last edited by SteelBucks; 03-12-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This is why you take Nix in the first ... get the front 7 up to par and Mitchel will shine
    Taking nix is not like taking Lotuleilei and K. Short, and having Kuechly and Greg Hardy turn into monsters. If thats the result you are looking for, Nix will be mighty disappointing

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    You can't have it both ways. You can't say his numbers benefited by playing for the Panthers and not say that his numbers suffered with Oakland because the Raiders stink. Does that make sense?

He changed positions when he went to Carolina and had a really good year. Was he helped by having a great D around him? Absolutely! But by the same rationale, you'd have to take his poor numbers in Oakland with a grain of salt because the Raiders have been such a mess over the past 10 years.
    I don't want it both ways. Don't twist my words. All I said was number don't tell the whole story. Mitchell has a reputation for being weak in coverage (even in Carolina). That concerns me.

And, I have allowed that he could turn out to be good. I hope he does. But, for now, I'm not sure that adding another safety who seems more like a SS was the best choice. I hope I am wrong.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler
    Seems like some typical crying over a good signing because hes not the biggest name out there.

Clark was hardly your prototype "centerfield" FS (center field being something the steelers pretty much never play, single high FS is a rarity in the defense) and he did just fine up until last season. Mitchell brings a lot more speed to the position, a guy who can close and break on the ball...it will be a welcomed change.

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I don't want it both ways. Don't twist my words. All I said was number don't tell the whole story. Mitchell has a reputation for being weak in coverage (even in Carolina). That concerns me.

And, I have allowed that he could turn out to be good. I hope he does. But, for now, I'm not sure that adding another safety who seems more like a SS was the best choice. I hope I am wrong.
    From what I've been seeing, Carolina wanted to resign him.

He seems to have better size and range than Clark. I haven't seen anything about him being weak in coverage. I've seen much more positive than negative. In any case, I'm sure he's no weaker in coverage than an aged Ryan Clark.

Legend
    Mitchell is big, fast, can blitz, can intercept passes, can force fumbles, and will knock the snot out of guys. Pretty much not much to not like about the kid.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    From what I've been seeing, Carolina wanted to resign him.

He seems to have better size and range than Clark. I haven't seen anything about him being weak in coverage. I've seen much more positive than negative. In any case, I'm sure he's no weaker in coverage than an aged Ryan Clark.
    Yes, Carolina did want him back (at the right price). We paid more.

I don't know why you can't find anything on him being weak in coverage. That is certainly a prevailing opinion. Try googling it. I see a lot.

I totally agree that he has to be better than Ryan Clark was last season. Amen!

I hope Lake turns him into an All Pro!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Yes, Carolina did want him back (at the right price). We paid more.

I don't know why you can't find anything on him being weak in coverage. That is certainly a prevailing opinion. Try googling it. I see a lot.

I totally agree that he has to be better than Ryan Clark was last season. Amen!

I hope Lake turns him into an All Pro!
    What was Carolina's price?

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    Yea, because Troy is so great in coverage. That is why he played 88% of the plays in the box last year.
    Exactly, the Steelers don't have a true centerfielder on the roster.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Exactly, the Steelers don't have a true centerfielder on the roster.
    Who was the steelers last "true centerfielder" lol

Talking about it like a centerfielder is its own position is hilarious

There are 3 "true centerfielders" in the league....Thomas, Byrd, Reed

Thomas gets to play single high almost all the time with the outside guys playing press man and Chancellor in the box. Byrd and Reed are/were true rangy ball hawks. Steelers have not had a safety that fits that description in my lifetime.

Everyone wants the next ball hawking FS and the next "former basketball player" TE matchup...steelers currently have neither, maybe they will find one though. For not Mike Mitchell is a great signing

With Mitchell only getting 5.25 mil in guaranteed money and cap hits annually a 1.7 - 2.95 - and then three years at 5.95, its extremely cap friendly and basically a 2 year prove yourself deal
    Last edited by K Train; 03-12-2014 at 12:43 PM.