Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colbert & Tomlin at Michigan St Pro Day Scouting Darqueze Dennard?

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I don't think I saw the ND game but the ones I did see I was impressed by his ball awareness. Even on deep throws he had a knack for playing the ball ... not running into the receiver like our CBs tend to do. He would get his head around at the right time and get his hand in between the receivers hands. I was extremely impressed with his coverage skills. What I couldn't tell was how well he would play in our hang back zone. He seems to be a more man to man smother type of corner.
    For the love of god, I'd love to have a CB on this team that turns their head, track the ball and intercept a pass without it being a fluke. You watch some guys and it's like a WR playing the CB position. I would love to have one of those on the Steelers roster.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    For the love of god, I'd love to have a CB on this team that turns their head, track the ball and intercept a pass without it being a fluke. You watch some guys and it's like a WR playing the CB position. I would love to have one of those on the Steelers roster.
    Thats what you get with both Dennard and Gilbert

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Dennard can be a lock down guy. Watch this video...only maybe 3 throws he was ever more than 1 yard from the receiver. I've made my determination - he is my guy if he is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qv3NFwZkE
    It's because you are a smart guy. If you want a DB who is a literal shadow, a guy who has true potential to be a lock down DB on an island...well this is your guy.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    15 is great value for the #1/#2 CB (depending who you ask, i have him solidly in the 2 slot)
    I believe he has elite #1 ceiling.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I believe he has elite #1 ceiling.
    Its tough, so did Morrid Claiborne and hes been nothing short of a bust.

But I would say Dennard to me could definitely be in the Leon Hall range as a CB...around about a top 10-15 CB, which is perfectly fine as a #15 overall pick, that is a quality player.

Gilbert has elite physical ability, return skills, and ball skills. Dennard has the elite technique and brian for understanding how to not get beat on both inside and outside technique, he can stay on a WRs hip.

Gilbert is more of zone CB, can run with anyone but isnt afraid to jump the ball and take chances. Really its what you prefer when watching these guys

Gilbert i like because of excellent return ability and he has FS potential if he busts at CB, which is scary to me when taking a CB in the first round, not an easy position to play by any means

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Its tough, so did Morrid Claiborne and hes been nothing short of a bust.

But I would say Dennard to me could definitely be in the Leon Hall range as a CB...around about a top 10-15 CB, which is perfectly fine as a #15 overall pick, that is a quality player.

Gilbert has elite physical ability, return skills, and ball skills. Dennard has the elite technique and brian for understanding how to not get beat on both inside and outside technique, he can stay on a WRs hip.

Gilbert is more of zone CB, can run with anyone but isnt afraid to jump the ball and take chances. Really its what you prefer when watching these guys

Gilbert i like because of excellent return ability and he has FS potential if he busts at CB, which is scary to me when taking a CB in the first round, not an easy position to play by any means
    Leon Hall is a fair comparison. I believe Dennard is going to be a really good pro DB...Gilbert probably will be as well.

—The Pittsburgh Steelers were all over the Michigan State pro day, and you can easily connect the dots there to cornerback Darqueze Dennard. Both head coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert attended. With the No. 15 overall pick in the draft, the Steelers are in range to land the aggressive cornerback.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...of-free-agency

It really depends on who the Lions take. If they take Dennard, the Steelers roll with Gilbert...and vice versa.

2014 Pro Days: Michigan State CB Dennard shows explosiveness

By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com
    March 11, 2014

Darqueze Dennard again shows an NFL-ready set of skills.

Darqueze Dennard cannot beat Justin Gilbert in a footrace, but he is closer to the total package as an NFL cornerback than Oklahoma State's flashy and fast cover man.

Dennard starred at Michigan State as a lockdown cornerback. He is knocked for what scouts term "tight hips" and ankles, which limit his suddeness and agility, especially when turning to run and accelerate at the top of a route. In scouting terms, he is not a twitchy athlete. Gilbert could define that term. He has straight-line speed to spare -- witness his 4.37 TV time at the NFL Scouting Combine -- and moves with ease in all directions despite very good size.

Dennard is nicked for being too grabby in the man-press scheme he starred in at Michigan State. But he is a rare commodity for NFL scouts -- a ready-made cover man with proven ability in this type of bump coverage.

Tuesday, Dennard added to his resume with a workout that displayed he has more than adequate short-area explosiveness.

Dennard led all Spartans with a 36-inch vertical -- Gilbert went 35 1/2 at the combine -- and his broad jump was 11-2 (Gilbert went 10-5 in Indianapolis). Only Baylor running back Lache Seastrunk had a broad jump of 11-2 of all players tested at the event.

Fit is of dire importance for Dennard, who needs to be in a scheme that emphasizes his physical brand of football and downplays the kind of freelancing that some scouts believe makes Gilbert more of a boom-or-bust prospect.

He could come off the board in the top 10 but isn't likely to slide below the middle of the round. Chicago -- especially if the Bears lose Pro Bowl veteran Charles Tillman in free agency -- could be a fit at No. 14. There might be no better match than the Pittsbugh Steelers at 15. Head coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert represented the team in East Lansing Tuesday.

The Steelers are in need of young playmakers on defense -- especially those that come at a relatively cheap cost.

It could be hauntingly similar to 2007 for the Steelers, when Darrelle Revis went 14th to the New York Jets and Pittsburgh drafted linebacker Lawrence Timmons 15th.

Here's a tale of the tape for consideration:

Darrelle Revis (2007, 14): 6-0, 204, 4.35 (fastest verified time), 10-5 broad, 38-inch VJ
    Patrick Peterson (2011, 5th pick): 6-0, 219, 4.31 (fastest verified), 10-6 broad, 36-inch VJ
    Stephon Gilmore (2012, 10): 6-1, 190, 4.38 (fastest verified), 10-3 broad, 36-inch VJ
    Darqueze Dennard (2014): 5-11, 199, 4.38 (fastest verified), 11-2 broad, 36-inch VJ

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...s-explosivness

Darqueze Dennard – Corner – Michigan State – Dennard did not run at the MSU pro day, but he had a vertical jump of 36” and a long jump of 11’2”! He also had outstanding positional drill work.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ck-report.html