Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye, Woodley

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bye, Woodley

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 32s
    Steelers will release LB LaMarr Woodley at 4 ET Tuesday, designate him a post June 1 casualty, per source. He will be free to sign Tuesday.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Unlike many speculative Burgh scribes, Schefter typically knows what he is talking about.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So why not cut him now so they are free of his cap hit next year?

Administrator

User Info Menu

How much dead money next year?

Why not bite the bullet and take the hit this year and free ourselves of the dead money next year?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Woodley isn't a post June 1st cut, his cap hit would end up higher than his cap number...you might as well just keep him on the roster...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If Woodley isn't a post June 1st cut, his cap hit would end up higher than his cap number...you might as well just keep him on the roster...
    You would cut him not to save this year's # but all the money he is due in future years.

As a post June cut, how much in dead money is there next year?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I know he's been hurt but I can't help but think cutting him is really going to bite us in the ass.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    You would cut him not to save this year's # but all the money he is due in future years.

As a post June cut, how much in dead money is there next year?
    There will be some next year...but, the number is too high to absorb this year...especially if they can't come to an agreement with Worlids...it would be a total of $23 million on two players, neither of whom is the franchise QB...

Legend

User Info Menu

Round numbers by my recollection:

If pre June 1 he would count approx $13M against the cap, which he is scheduled to count if he stays on the roster.

If post June 1, he counts approx. $5M against the cap this year (savings of his $8M salary) and approx. $8M next year (remaining portion of his pro rated SB with his restructuring factored in.)

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yea if true, it does not make a lot of sense yet! Maybe they are thinking let him hit F A market and then get him back with a new contract, IDK if they can do that, I am just hoping what ever they do that it makes some kind of sense down the road!!