Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Bye, Woodley

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Herm Edwards said on Mike and Mike this morning that the league has a real issue with QB salaries and how it is going to make teams non-competitive because you have to cut so many good players to keep your QB. He suggested that the league has to have a cap exemption for one player on the roster because of the size of QB salaries and cap hits. I think they said Drew Brees is consuming something like 26% of the New Orleans cap.

I suggested something similar during the CBA discussions that a team need to exempt one of their veteran players from the cap or only take a partial hit.

Why didn't the league and union see this coming? Why don't those idiots just listen to me
    that is on the team to handle that situation. That is why I think the Steelers need to let BR play out this contact and move on. His window is closing, try for one or two more and then move on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    Isn't Keisel getting cut here also or at least taking a pay cut? I don't know many 35 year old DE's that are producing these days. Luv him in all but it is time for a couple of these young guys to step up.
    He's a free agent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Still need to sign Worilds long term.....
    Signing Woodley long term was a mistake because he BECAME injury prone AFTER his contract.
    Now we want to sign a guy long term who has never been healthy for half a season of starts EVER????
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    that is on the team to handle that situation. That is why I think the Steelers need to let BR play out this contact and move on. His window is closing, try for one or two more and then move on.
    If Ben continues playing like last year he isnt going anywhere and he will retire a Steeler.*All this talk about Ben's style but he is taking less hits and showing maturity in the pocket. He probably has 5 years left.

I have no problem with paying a guy with 2 rings and another SB appearance a ton of money... the new CBA is set up to reward vets. Ben aint Romo or Flacco

Legend

User Info Menu

Herm Edwards said on Mike and Mike this morning that the league has a real issue with QB salaries and how it is going to make teams non-competitive because you have to cut so many good players to keep your QB. He suggested that the league has to have a cap exemption for one player on the roster because of the size of QB salaries and cap hits. I think they said Drew Brees is consuming something like 26% of the New Orleans cap.

I suggested something similar during the CBA discussions that a team need to exempt one of their veteran players from the cap or only take a partial hit.

Why didn't the league and union see this coming? Why don't those idiots just listen to me
    Teams like the Niners and Seahawks are talent laden because of having good QBs on rookie contracts.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cowboys just released DeMarcus Ware...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Signing Woodley long term was a mistake because he BECAME injury prone AFTER his contract.
    Now we want to sign a guy long term who has never been healthy for half a season of starts EVER????

Agreed. What is the urgency in signing Worilds to a long term deal? So he has a cap hit this season. Any decent LB in FA is gonna cost $7-8M. Steelers have to pay a little more, but aren't tied up in case Worilds=Woodley II.

Find his replacement in the draft and make the decision after this year.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Agreed. What is the urgency in signing Worilds to a long term deal? So he has a cap hit this season. Any decent LB in FA is gonna cost $7-8M. Steelers have to pay a little more, but aren't tied up in case Worilds=Woodley II.

Find his replacement in the draft and make the decision after this year.
    Do we have the luxory to throw OLB back in the high "needs" category. We only have so many picks and we need to address SEVERAL areas.

I get the logic in waiting especially with the Woodley situation so fresh in everyone's mind.

However, If Worilds has a big year, I don't see us sigining him. That is another guy (like Lewis) that we developed into a strong starter only to let him walk. The biggest problem is 2015 if Worilds does walk. Are the Steelers goesn't to be forced to sign a FA? Probably and likely spend another high pick on a rookie LB.

Who knows... maybe there is another LB on this roster that the FO thinks could be a future starter at OLB.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    A long-term extension for Worilds would actually save money on the cap rather than requiring more room. With the transition tag, he counts $9.754 million against the cap. On a long term deal, his cap hit should be much less than that.
    Ruthless is correct. Those numbers include Worilds $9.754 tag. Long term deal would provide more space.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Ruthless is correct. Those numbers include Worilds $9.754 tag. Long term deal would provide more space.
    That was the point I was making. It should be easy to extend Worilds for a reasonable annual cap hit. Likely only issue would be guaranteed money which would probably have to be about $15M for him to want to sign.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"