Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Bye, Woodley

It is now very possible that Woodley will fizzle out of the league by the end of that 2 year contract. The Raiders....I just don't get it. Apparently, neither do they.

Or, it could be his natural position and he tears it up, Woodley certainly has the frame to carry 275 pounds and play a position that doesn't require dropping into pass coverage. Personally, I think it's going to be a good fit for him and I hope he prospers.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    The Raiders make absolutely no sense. They spend a couple of years trying to get out of cap hell, and finally have $60 million in cap room this year. So what do you do? Yet up and coming players like Jared Veldheer and Lamarr Houston walk out of town without even using a franchise tag to keep either of them, and then sign a whole gaggle of 30-somethings who will be around for a year or two instead. Brilliant!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The Raiders make absolutely no sense. They spend a couple of years trying to get out of cap hell, and finally have $60 million in cap room this year. So what do you do? Yet up and coming players like Jared Veldheer and Lamarr Houston walk out of town without even using a franchise tag to keep either of them, and then sign a whole gaggle of 30-somethings who will be around for a year or two instead. Brilliant!
    Yeah, and it could be a viable strategy if you signed said 30-somethings to modest, performance-based deals. AFAIK, Tuck and Woodley signed pretty good contracts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Yeah, and it could be a viable strategy if you signed said 30-somethings to modest, performance-based deals. AFAIK, Tuck and Woodley signed pretty good contracts for themselves.
    Apparently, they were the highest bidders for Jared Allen too. He took less money to go to Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Or, it could be his natural position and he tears it up, Woodley certainly has the frame to carry 275 pounds and play a position that doesn't require dropping into pass coverage. Personally, I think it's going to be a good fit for him and I hope he prospers.

Pappy
    in college, he played both. that's part of the reason the Steelers felt he'd easily make the transition - he dropped into coverage from time to time. I had watched him some and felt he was the perfect selection that year because it would be less of a transition. It may well be a good fit -- except, he hasn't played with his hand in the dirt in a few years, so, who knows how he'll transition... in some ways, it could be like being a rook all over again.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    in college, he played both. that's part of the reason the Steelers felt he'd easily make the transition - he dropped into coverage from time to time. I had watched him some and felt he was the perfect selection that year because it would be less of a transition. It may well be a good fit -- except, he hasn't played with his hand in the dirt in a few years, so, who knows how he'll transition... in some ways, it could be like being a rook all over again.
    His first 3 yrs in the league he proved he could play the way the Steelers wanted him to. Something changed after the big contract.
    I wonder if he was only effective because he was playing opposite Harrison....?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    His first 3 yrs in the league he proved he could play the way the Steelers wanted him to. Something changed after the big contract.
    I wonder if he was only effective because he was playing opposite Harrison....?
    After his big contract, he started to be chronically injured...

Woodley played well after he signed the contract. He had 9 sacks in 10 games in 2011. Then he is about to sack Tom Brady again and something snaps. To put that in some perspective in 2010 everybody loved him and wanted him re-signed. He had 10 sacks in 16 games in 2010. I don't know what happened after he got hurt but even in limited time in 2012 and 2013 he had 9 combined sacks. I don't know if he just got lazy or got old fast but he was at least an average LB even when hurt. He just cost too much to keep around.