Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft: Overrated, Dark Horse, Underrated, Fallers

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Dark Horse-Pierre Desir-Kid has all the tools and size. NFL coaching will put him over the top.
    any chance of Desir lasting until our 3rd round comp pick or would we have to draft him with our 2nd round pick to have any chance at him?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Iron City Inc.;594821]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

I watched some tape of that game. Did Joey Bosa make a few plays? He did. Lewan though on 3 td's threw key blocks. Heck Michigan scored 41 do you think they did that with bad play by their left tackle. It's not an exact science on projectingexactly where a guy gets drafted or how he will turn out. I just don't see 4th round talent there as you do. Your opinion on that may turn out correct but your opinion on this is very much in the minority.
    Bosa didn't make a "few" plays. I watched the game a second time...only watching that match up. It was total domination. Bosa and Spence owned Lewan. If they were not making the play, they were pushing him into the QB, if they weren't doing that they were collapsing the pocket. Now, its possible that Lewan just had a freakish bad game...but it was one of the worst displays of blocking that I have ever seen in 30 years of watching football. And, I am indeed in the minority but I don't know how teams can ignore that game...no matter how many other good games he had.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    and if he doesn't pan out? well... the loss would be minimal at a 5th or later.
    Exactly...low risk high reward.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    any chance of Desir lasting until our 3rd round comp pick or would we have to draft him with our 2nd round pick to have any chance at him?
    ZERO.....top 10 in the 3rd

Legend

User Info Menu

thanks, I would love to include Desir in my mock but don't want to select him at 2(46).
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Overrated: Taylor Lewan is hands down the most overrated person in this draft. I suspect he will be nothing more than an average RT. He doesn't have the skills to warrant a first round pick. He is a 4th rounder at best.

Dark Horse: Colt Lyerla, IMO he is the second most athletic TE in this draft after Ebron. He went to rehab, is saying all the right things. If you haven't seen him play check out his youtube video...the guy is a beast. I know some will argue he isn't a "dark horse" but when a guy could be had in the 5th round or later who is as good as Lyerla...I think that qualifies. My guess? The Pats will take a chance on him. I know that is a bold prediction because they might still be raw from Hernandez...but they are in dire need of an athletic TE and I think they pull the trigger and take a chance.

Underrated: This is an easy one for me Caruan Reid-DE out of Princeton. He is projected for the 4th round. IMO, this guy is NFL ready without any real deficiencies in his game. He is a mid/high second round talent, and only that because of the teams Princeton plays. The dude is the real deal.

Fallers: I believe Anthony Barr will fall to the Steelers at 15. He is the guy I believe could throw a monkey wrench into draft boards and make it really tempting to grab an OLB in the first. Now, some will say I'm crazy especially with Worilds being transitioned, and Woodley eating up literally and figuratively a large contract. But, I'm not sold on Worilds...not sure the Steelers are either...and Woodley can't stay healthy. Barr is a reasonable possibility...and he fits that typical Tomlin OLB.
    Ive said before that Lyleria is borderline undraftable. I agree hes Uber talented but he wont be the first very talented, troubled player to go undrafted

Anthony Barr would be an awesome pick, I do NOT think hes ready to play much as a rookie so we would undoubtedly hear "BUSTTT" but he would not need to be able toplay right away with Jones entering his second year and worilds definitely coming back. He has a special skill set though, hes not as polished as a football player as Jones but he hes rare explosion and the ability to bend the corner
    Overrated- "Ha Ha" Dix-Total product of the system. The overall team scheme has inflated his value.

Dark Horse-Pierre Desir-Kid has all the tools and size. NFL coaching will put him over the top.

Underrated-Kyle Fuller-Injuries will likely keep him out of the first round but he may be the most complete CB in draft

Fallers-Cyrus Kuondjio-He was exposed in the Sugar Bowl and his medical will likely knock him out of the first round.
    HaHa is a good safety prospect, i understand the hesitation with the bama DBs though...i think they are very tough to evaluate, not so much the safeties as the CBs though...they play a funky CB scheme that rarely requires back pedals which is weird to evaluate, but if you are looking for a deep single high safety, Haha is your guy

Fuller is awesome, might be more of a NB but cant undervalue that position, which is arguable the most difficult CB spot to play

James Andrews says Kouanjios knee is not as bad as it was made out to be....seems to be a lot of knee problems with Bama recruits though. I think he probably is going to be a guard at the next level, which is a good spot for him

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Overrated - Ed Reynolds S Stanford - From the games I've seen, he looks more like a late round guy than a potential day 2 pick. Takes poor angles, can't disengage from blocks, and most importantly poor range for the pro game. Reynolds is smart and has good ball skills. I simply don't see him as possessing starting DB athleticism.
    Darkhorse - Preston Brown ILB Louisville - Brown does not have great speed (4.86 at combine). But, he is field quick for his size (250-260) and very stout. As the run stuffing ILB in a 3-4, he could easily be a good starter as a rookie as well as a special teams demon. In Louisville's system, he played inside early and moved to DE for passing downs. He is capable in short area pass coverage, but excels as a downhill runstuffer. He is also relentless in pursuit and has very good instincts and diagnostic ability. Projected as a late round guy, I'd take him in the middle rounds. I think he is better than Brandon Spikes.
    Underrated Bruce Ellington WR South Carolina - The knock on Ellington is that he is only 5'9". Even after a great combine, I think he is still underrated. Ellington isn't just a workout warrior. He is a fantastic football player. He has a strong, running back like build, very good speed, exceptional quickness and elusiveness in the open field, excellent hands, incredible leaping ability, big play ability and good route running (which will improve great at the pro level given his explosive change of direction ability). In short (no pun intended), he is a complete WR. Probably best in the slot, Ellington is quite capable of also playing outside the numbers. A team that uses multiple WR sets like the Packers or Saints could make him a star. He is currently assumed to be a late third rounder, perhaps even a fourth rounder. IMO, Ellington is just as talented as Randle Cobb (who went in the first round and has a similar skills set).
    Fallers Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington - ASJ is a great athlete and has tremendous size. In the games I saw, he did not dominate. I question his route running as he lumbers and does not explode out of cuts. I also question his effort blocking. I was not impressed with his work in the run game. ASJ may prove me wrong because he is big enough and athletic enough to make plays even if he doesn't get great separation. He is also athletic and big, so he could become a great blocker down the road. But, so far, I am not impressed with his efforts and would not touch such an underachiever.
    Last edited by steelblood; 03-10-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Reynolds is a smart football player, he has knocks on his game but I dont think angles is one of them. His biggest knock is hes a bit of a drag down tackler, but a decent deep safety...not much in way of run support, but given the steelers history of making DBs excellent tacklers i dont worry too much about that.

ASJ didnt "dominate" this past year, but he did become a MUCH more well rounded TE and cleaned up his game an awful lot. Loads of potential there, would love that pick in the second...could come into the league as a 10 TD rookie

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Reynolds is a smart football player, he has knocks on his game but I dont think angles is one of them. His biggest knock is hes a bit of a drag down tackler, but a decent deep safety...not much in way of run support, but given the steelers history of making DBs excellent tacklers i dont worry too much about that.

ASJ didnt "dominate" this past year, but he did become a MUCH more well rounded TE and cleaned up his game an awful lot. Loads of potential there, would love that pick in the second...could come into the league as a 10 TD rookie
    Just going by what I saw in 3 or 4 games for each over the last two years....

Reynolds really gets stuck on blocks too. He has trouble disengaging. That worries me because if the safety can't free himself. Big plays ensue. I did see him take some bad angles to the sideline. I know he has love on this board, but I would hate this pick. Who wants a smart, but slow free safety? That is what we are trying to upgrade currently. Add the tackling/disengaging issues, I would hate this pick on day 2 or even in round 4.

ASJ has great potential. But, every game I have seen, he disappointed in most aspects. If he indeed improved this season, it wasn't as much as people expected as he has gone from a preseason 1st rounder and top TE to a second day prospect, 3rd or 4th best TE, with question marks.

But, I will readily admit that these are my opinions based on what I've seen. And, as my wife reminds me, I am often wrong.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

SKL--like you mock but don't know much about Christian Jones or Xavier Grimble? Also, Matthews seems like he is moving up, do you think he lasts to our #2?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"