Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Reportedly Interested in Verner

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Reportedly Interested in Verner

I would be surprised to see the Steelers get into a bidding war, but if they want to make a big splash and sign Verner, they could release Ike Taylor outright, which would free up the cash to do it easily.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/08/more-teams-are-clamoring-for-verner[/url]

I still wish that they had went after Keenan Lewis harder last year. Maybe he didn't want to be here, or maybe there was something behind the scenes, but I suspect that Verner will cost a lot more than Lewis.

Lewis, Ike and Cortez would have been a nice top 3, with Lewis/Allen a fine starting tandem when Ike goes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I would be surprised to see the Steelers get into a bidding war, but if they want to make a big splash and sign Verner, they could release Ike Taylor outright, which would free up the cash to do it easily.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/08/more-teams-are-clamoring-for-verner[/url]

I still wish that they had went after Keenan Lewis harder last year. Maybe he didn't want to be here, or maybe there was something behind the scenes, but I suspect that Verner will cost a lot more than Lewis.

Lewis, Ike and Cortez would have been a nice top 3, with Lewis/Allen a fine starting tandem when Ike goes.
    Agreed Philly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nothing was going to change Lewis' mind, other than the franchise tag. He badly wanted to return home and play for the Saints.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Packers just gave Sam Shields 9.75M per year. Verner will get 10+ easily, probably even up to 11.

Time to draft Dennard. And sign Cortez to an extension now in case he blows up this year and is able to draw big money after the season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would think the Cardinals may extend Patrick Peterson this offseason too, really exploding the market.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Verner can play but is he a # 1. Only 5 10 and a 4.52 guy at the combine puts him more like a 2 or good slot corner. Size is a talent so if you ask me I'll take a pass. Besides we may hear a boat load of stories in the next few days regarding free agents.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Nothing was going to change Lewis' mind, other than the franchise tag. He badly wanted to return home and play for the Saints.

I agree. It seems very hard for some to understand that the decision for Lewis wasn't about money. After you sign a contract that will make you and your kids future millionaires while playing in front of friends and family, there is little else to sway your decision.

Question: is there any difference in money if the Steelers cut Ike before or after June 1?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    some speculation there of course...

you know I think the steelers should start asking guys if they want to wear the black and gold.... prior to drafting them...so they don't get in a situation like this again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    some speculation there of course...

you know I think the steelers should start asking guys if they want to wear the black and gold.... prior to drafting them...so they don't get in a situation like this again.
    and they will all answer "yes"... because that's what you do when you don't have a job wrapped up.

and it isn't speculation. I posted the article a while back which quoted Keenan verbatim that it was his dream to come home and play. It also said that he took less money to do so.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    and they will all answer "yes"... because that's what you do when you don't have a job wrapped up.

and it isn't speculation. I posted the article a while back which quoted Keenan verbatim that it was his dream to come home and play. It also said that he took less money to do so.

say he took less money? where were the other offers, and how much? How much did the steelers offer him?