Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Reportedly Interested in Verner

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Not seeing a lot of 'value' in FA CB's- most of the CB's with upside are going to demand contracts similar to where Ike is now, or more.

Safety, however, has numerous players in the mid 20's with upside who can upgrade the team now.

If it where up to Chadman, draft a CB, sign a FA FS, and maybe stop asking Ike to play on an island as often.
    I can see that as a likely scenario Chad.. We need to bring in a young FA or two that can contribute/upgrade this year if we are going to be contenders in the near term. If Ike is signed at a reduced contract, he needs to beat out Allen/Gay for one of those spots.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I would like Verner to sign here...but he's going to ask for too much. I like the drafting Darqueeze Dennard (Round 1) or Kyle Fuller (Round 2) route in the draft.
    Fuller won't last until our Round 2. He is one of the real risers in the draft eval process.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Why is keenan lewis talked about so ridiculously much on this board? He's gone and has been gone for a long while now. He wanted to play in NO period. Do we have rock solid evidence the steelers didnt talk to him about a new contract? Either way the lewis obsession is ridiculous. Hes GONE!
    If the Steelers are now looking at paying $10 million or more for a corner, when one of their own left, for whatever reason, it seemed topical.

Two of the biggest needs looked at this year are adding a corner and adding a WR. Wallace and Lewis walked out the door last year with nothing but a comp pick in return. The Steelers FO is generally very good, but allowing assets to leave for no compensation will prevent the team from moving forward. With Lewis, I get that he matured late and that his departure may well have been unavoidable.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm expecting the Steelers to add a CB in FA. "Level" of player depends on Ike. I felt pretty good that Ike would take a cut to stay but not so sure that will happen anymore. They haven't contacted Ike as of yet & that would suggest to me they are looking for a starter level CB. That's just my gut feeling. I don't think this will be a typical offseason of FA for the Steelers. They recognize what is on the table. If you get back to back 8-8 seasons...You have to change personnel in decline. I don't want to hear "not how the Steelers operate" or "Ike is like a Son to Rooney"...It's business. Right now...Ike is bad business.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm expecting the Steelers to add a CB in FA. "Level" of player depends on Ike. I felt pretty good that Ike would take a cut to stay but not so sure that will happen anymore. They haven't contacted Ike as of yet & that would suggest to me they are looking for a starter level CB. That's just my gut feeling. I don't think this will be a typical offseason of FA for the Steelers. They recognize what is on the table. If you get back to back 8-8 seasons...You have to change personnel in decline. I don't want to hear "not how the Steelers operate" or "Ike is like a Son to Rooney"...It's business. Right now...Ike is bad business.
    I agree - I think that the Steelers not contacting Ike is likely a sign that they are gauging the possibility of replacing him with somebody who is a bit more dynamic in creating turnovers.

Not sure that they will win a bidding war for Verner, but maybe his ties to Lake (from UCLA) and Munchak (from TN) sway him towards the Steelers. I'm always hesitant to rely too heavily on FA, but he is a young player who should have his best football in front of him.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Not seeing a lot of 'value' in FA CB's- most of the CB's with upside are going to demand contracts similar to where Ike is now, or more.

Safety, however, has numerous players in the mid 20's with upside who can upgrade the team now.

If it where up to Chadman, draft a CB, sign a FA FS, and maybe stop asking Ike to play on an island as often.
    I don't see much value in CB either. Wouldn't a 4 year / 20 million (give or take) contract for Malcom Jenkins make more sense than a high dollar FA CB? Dennard or Gilbert will be available at 1.15.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Steelers had depth at CB...They could go into the season "hoping" a draft pick would win the starting CB spot at some point in '14. They need infusion immediately...Can't put that on a draft choice. There is no "support" for a CB learning on the fly. They will need to sign a starter capable guy.

It would be pretty irresponsible of the decision makers to go into the season with Allen, Taylor, Gay, & a draft choice. That draft choice would include a Dennard or Gilbert. One injury away from trouble. There is no guarantee Gilbert or Dennard start their 1st year. If Taylor remains with a paycut & continues his decline like last year...He may fall to the bottom of the depth chart. So we would have Allen & Gay starting with a CB who should have retired & a rookie who isn't ready to be a #3. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that thought process & I'm not even the one who pays the bills.

The Steelers better have 2 new faces in the secondary at the start of the season or they will struggle out of the gate. Coming off back to back 8-8 season...You better not struggle early. Here's an overview of the Top 3 things on Rooney list when he sat down with Cobert & Tomlin. #1...Back to back 8-8. #2 Missed playoffs 2 years in a row. #3 Empty seats in the stadium. I'm sure the Rooneys said "We have to correct this immediately...What do you need to get it done?" These guys have been doing this for awhile. When they look at the roster...I'm sure they understand the draft won't fix it overnight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If the Steelers had depth at CB...They could go into the season "hoping" a draft pick would win the starting CB spot at some point in '14. They need infusion immediately...Can't put that on a draft choice. There is no "support" for a CB learning on the fly. They will need to sign a starter capable guy.

It would be pretty irresponsible of the decision makers to go into the season with Allen, Taylor, Gay, & a draft choice. That draft choice would include a Dennard or Gilbert. One injury away from trouble. There is no guarantee Gilbert or Dennard start their 1st year. If Taylor remains with a paycut & continues his decline like last year...He may fall to the bottom of the depth chart. So we would have Allen & Gay starting with a CB who should have retired & a rookie who isn't ready to be a #3. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that thought process & I'm not even the one who pays the bills.

The Steelers better have 2 new faces in the secondary at the start of the season or they will struggle out of the gate. Coming off back to back 8-8 season...You better not struggle early. Here's an overview of the Top 3 things on Rooney list when he sat down with Cobert & Tomlin. #1...Back to back 8-8. #2 Missed playoffs 2 years in a row. #3 Empty seats in the stadium. I'm sure the Rooneys said "We have to correct this immediately...What do you need to get it done?" These guys have been doing this for awhile. When they look at the roster...I'm sure they understand the draft won't fix it overnight.
    The lack of depth at CB is why I'm not sure they cut ties with Ike Taylor.

But we had no depth at OLB last year either and we said Auf Wiedersehen to Harrison
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The lack of depth at CB is why I'm not sure they cut ties with Ike Taylor.

But we had no depth at OLB last year either and we said Auf Wiedersehen to Harrison
    Comes down to money. No paycut...no job. They will find depth in FA.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    some speculation there of course...

you know I think the steelers should start asking guys if they want to wear the black and gold.... prior to drafting them...so they don't get in a situation like this again.
    Of course, in Keenan's case, he could have said that it has always been his dream to wear the black and gold ever since he was a child and it wouldn't be a lie (just a different shade of gold in mind).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.