Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers show interest in Titans CB Alterraun Verner

Legend

User Info Menu

Herman Edwards had and excellent point this morning on Mike aand Mike when discussing Revis. Greeny asked him how much a CB was really worth. He said if you had real shutdown guy he took half the field away, however he then said that he wasn't sure that they were worth some of the salaries because teams are no longer focused outside the hashmarks.

Edwards said that 70% of the completions in the NFL are in the middle of the field because of the way the game has evolved and the way teams are exploiting slot receivers and big pass catching TEs. He said teams no longer focus outside of the hashmarks. He said the high paid CBs are not worth it unless you can move them around to cover the slot and switch sides of the field.

I found this interesting that someone as knowledgeable as Edwards was essentially saying the "shutdown CB" is less importnat in the evolving NFL.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 03-11-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Alterraun Verner expects to sign quickly, calls Patriots a “possibility”

Posted by Josh Alper on March 10, 2014

Some free agents will set up visits and make the rounds of interested suitors once free agency officially opens on Tuesday, but others are expecting their stay on the open market to be brief.

Cornerback Alterraun Verner is in the latter group. During an appearance on Mad Dog Radio with Adam Schein Monday, Verner said that he thinks “it’ll be a quick process” and gave some insight into how he’ll make his choice.

“I feel more compelled to go to a team that I think can win. I haven’t had that experience for the past four years in Tennessee,” Verner said. “Money is [priority] but it isn’t. I look at it differently. Some look at it tangibly. I look at it as more of a respect value. I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 or $7 million and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team than go to a team that paid me $8 or $9 million and I wasn’t one of the highest-paid players on the team.”

Verner said the Jets could be a fit and said the Patriots are a “possibility,” while noting that Devin McCourty, whose brother was Verner’s teammate in Tennessee, has been “lobbying” for him to come to New England. The Broncos were also mentioned as a good situation, with Verner adding he’d be interested in the 49ers but doesn’t think that’s a direction they’re looking to go.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/alterraun-verner-expects-to-sign-quickly-calls-patriots-a-possibility/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Out of range, indeed. If the Steelers go after a FA CB, it won't be one of the high-priced ones, IMO. They'll probably be content now to grab one in the draft.
    I agree ........

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Edwards said that 70% of the completions in the NFL are in the middle of the field because of the way the game has evolved and the way teams are exploiting slot receivers and big pass catching TEs.
    Let us not forget that receivers can now cross the middle without fear of getting popped with their heads down thanks to the way that the game has evolved.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Bucs got him for 4 yrs/26.5M/14M guaranteed.

Heck of a deal, just over 6.6M a year. I expected much closer to 10 or 11, especially after Vontae Davis got the 4 yr/39M deal.
    Last edited by D Rock; 03-11-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Buccaneers sign CB Alterraun Verner (4 years, $26.5M; $14M guaranteed): B Grade

Alterraun Verner was nearly benched during training camp and happened to struggle down the stretch, but all in all, he had a strong 2013 campaign. He's not a very good No. 1 corner and would be at his best as a second corner, but he'll have to be the main guy in Tampa with Darrelle Revis hitting the road.

Having said that, this is a decent signing for two reasons. First, Verner is a much better fit for Lovie Smith's defense than Revis despite the talent disparity. Second, this is a fair price for Verner, as the max value of his deal is $12.5 million less than what Sam Shields earned. Shields is better than Verner, of course, but both signings are fine.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014recap.php[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha