Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers reportedly interested in free agent TE Jermichael Finley

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Actually, this guy has carried the "potential" label too long for my satisfaction. He always had great potential: He is huge, fast, monster hands, etc. But he is kind of the opposite of a "grinder" which is what this team prefers. He is more of a Prima donna, and that was before he suffered this serious injury. I don't know how much heart he will have after this kind of injury. For league minimum, I'd be OK with taking a chance, but nothing more. But if he does return to any where near his potential, can you imagine a D having to worry about Brown, Bell, Miller, Finley, Blount, Archer and Wheaton? That would be fun stuff.

Legend

User Info Menu

2 year, $5million with a $2million SB... If we cut him next year, he's only $1million salary hit... that oughta do it
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Starter

User Info Menu

Not sure what is out there in terms of FA Tight Ends.

I would only offer him a one year deal, and not a whole lot of $, either. We need depth here, but I don't know if this is the guy for Pittsburgh.

Again, I have no idea who is out there besides him who is worth mentioning, though, so...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just don't see this guy ever playing football again. That $10 million dollar insurance policy looks pretty good. He never plays again- cha ching....Let's see.... play a year for a few mil, OR don't play and get $10 mil??? tough decision.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm guessing that the interest here stems from the fact that he's apparently been seeing the Steelers doctor.

Finley and Miller paired together could create interesting matchup problems, but I doubt this happens.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

In for a visit, any how.

Source: NFL Network - Ian Rapoport

The Pittsburgh Steelers have met with free-agent TE Jermichael Finley (neck), and their team doctor cleared Finley to participate in football activities. The team's doctor performed the neck surgery on Finley.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

The match with the Steelers would be an interesting one. Finley is going to have to be cleared by teams medically as he tries to come back from the neck injury that knocked him out last year. He's a talented move tight end, but any deal he signs is likely to be a year long with a low base salary and a few incentives.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jermichael Finley says Steelers have shown him contract offers

by Neal Coolong
    July 15, 2014

Previous reports suggesting confusion over actual interest between the Steelers and free agent tight end Jermichael Finey exists may have been slightly accurate.

According to USA Today's Tom Pelissero, Finley, who underwent spinal fusion surgery after suffering a season-ending injury last season, has received more than just interest from the Steelers.

"Pittsburgh have showed me a couple deals, but we all know the money ain't what it's supposed to be," Finley told Pelissero. "If I quit the game right now, I can take tax-free money, and that's a difficult thing that I'm going through with myself …"

He has a $10 million insurance policy that he can cash in if he misses the first four games of this season. That would suggest he'd be taking a loss if he accepts any kind of contract for less than $10 million guaranteed. It's highly unlikely, medical clearance or not, he'll get many of those kinds of offers, but it still will make sense for him to wait and see how the market develops through training camp.

Finely's surgeon, Dr. Joseph Maroon, is also on the Steelers' medical staff, and his clearance has been sent to all 32 NFL teams. The Steelers were quietly linked with Finley at the beginning of free agency, but like other teams, it hasn't gone past the point of speculation.

Finley's comment to Pelissero though is specific enough to think perhaps an offer was left on the table for Finley, who would be something of an odd fit given the Steelers' current tight end and wide receiver position depth charts. Finley is an incredible athlete but not a player with reliable hands. He also doesn't block particularly well - a trait commonly required of Steelers' tight ends.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...rs-rumors-2014[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

the guy only cares about the money.....pass
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    the guy only cares about the money.....pass
    This for sure, pass, pass and don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya, Jermichael.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just because money is a major consideration doesn't mean it's all he cares about. Missing some games for $10 mil v playing for a fraction of that isn't an easy call.