Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Steelers reportedly interested in free agent TE Jermichael Finley

  1. #1
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    16,078

    Steelers reportedly interested in free agent TE Jermichael Finley

    Steelers reportedly interested in free agent TE Jermichael Finley

    By Neal Coolong on Mar 8 2014



    Provided Finley gets medical clearance, it appears there's a substantial amount of interest on the free agency market.

    Ben Volin of the Boston Globe tweeted Friday the Steelers have interested in as-of-now not medically cleared free agent tight end Jermichael Finley.

    Finley suffered a freakish injury during the 2013 season, one that required spinal fusion surgery. Some reports have indicated Finley could be cleared medically as early as Saturday, but that's only the entry point. Without a solid way of knowing how he'd hold up, his pricetag will be around the basement of the market for his position.

    Finley is an electrifying athlete who appeared to struggle with routine catches more than daring ones. He caught 223 passes for 2,785 yards and 20 touchdowns in six seasons with the Packers. He's not expected to be re-signed there.

    The Chiefs, Giants, Jets, Lions and Seahawks have also been mentioned as possible targets, without an explanation given as to why the rest of the league wasn't mentioned as well. Brevity, perhaps.

    Every team will be interested in Finley's medicals, and while an argument can be made Finley could fill a receiving role in Pittsburgh, his lack of blocking ability, shaky hands and injury history likely makes him more of a risk than he'd be worth. Someone will roll the dice if he gets medical clearance, but Pittsburgh wouldn't be the logical destination.

    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...michael-finley

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,144
    No, no, no, no, no, no. First of all, I doubt they have any serious interest in him; this is just another in a long line of BS postures made by the team to make the fans feel they are aggressively doing everything possible to win. Secondly, I hope they are no seriously pursuing Finley as this guy is always about potential but usually doesn't produce. He looks so inviting, with his massive size and good speed, but for one reason or the other, he just doesn't live up to his potential. No way. Bad idea.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    No, no, no, no, no, no. First of all, I doubt they have any serious interest in him; this is just another in a long line of BS postures made by the team to make the fans feel they are aggressively doing everything possible to win. Secondly, I hope they are no seriously pursuing Finley as this guy is always about potential but usually doesn't produce. He looks so inviting, with his massive size and good speed, but for one reason or the other, he just doesn't live up to his potential. No way. Bad idea.
    I don't see him as a bad idea if he comes really cheap on a one year deal to show he can still play. The potential for him to play very well on the cheap would be nice. And at worse he eats up very little cap space to wear sweats on the side line.

  4. #4
    Got to agree with the sick one on this. Not that I don't think a healthy Finley would be a helpful addition to the offense, but he would likely cost significant FA $$$$. Better to spend that $$$$ on sure-fire defensive FAs (FS anyone?). If you want a pass-catching TE, grab one in the draft instead.

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Got to agree with the sick one on this. Not that I don't think a healthy Finley would be a helpful addition to the offense, but he would likely cost significant FA $$$$. Better to spend that $$$$ on sure-fire defensive FAs (FS anyone?). If you want a pass-catching TE, grab one in the draft instead.
    Why would he cost big money? He is coming off a potential career ending injury. He needs to show he can still play and not play scared to get a good payday I think.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,144
    Quite honestly, he was iffy before he took the potentially career-ending shot. I don't know how confident I am with him not playing scared, making him even less productive. It feels like a very un-Steeler like signing. And with Heath seemingly back to full strength, with a few good years left, TE isn't really a position of high need at this point.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Why would he cost big money? He is coming off a potential career ending injury. He needs to show he can still play and not play scared to get a good payday I think.
    Don't know that he will cost "big" money, but he will cost, I think "significant" money, just because of his past success (of course, it will be contingent upon him passing teams' physical exams). I just think you can draft a TE that can be groomed to fill the need for a lot less $$$. Less injury risk, too. Use the FA money for defensive help.

  8. #8
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,652
    "Steelers Interested"? You don't say.

    I'm sure they're interested in most FAs. Whether they can afford them is a different story.

  9. #9
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,652
    I will say that if we sign him.... Ebron will need to get removed from some mock drafts

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,337
    he would be an upgrade for sure at TE #2, if the money is right.

    dont ever want to see mike adams running a pass pattern again

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •