Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft a NT, sign one in free agency or stand pat with McLendon?

Legend

User Info Menu

Draft a NT, sign one in free agency or stand pat with McLendon?

Draft a nose, sign one in free agency or stand pat with Steve McLendon?

Ray Fittipaldo

Some thoughts to ponder over the weekend before the start of free agency on Tuesday:

The Steelers might have a little money to spend on free agents. The key word there is little. They could have as much as $7 million if the release cornerback Ike Taylor, less if they ask him to take a pay cut. They might have more if they come to terms on a long-term deal with Jason Worilds.

With that money, the Steelers would like to re-sign receiver Jerricho Cotchery and they are thin at defensive end and corner, if they release Taylor. They also need to get a reserve offensive lineman or two under contract and perhaps a running back. One or two of those needs could be filled through the draft, but not all of them.

Many fans seem to be enthralled with the idea of signing a nose tackle in free agency. Some of the questions I get asked the most during recent chats is whether the Steelers would dip into free agency for a nose.

The idea behind such a move would mean Steve McLendon, the starter at nose last season, would move to defensive end, where the Steelers are currently thin.

The two names most often floated by fans are Miami’s Paul Soliai and Baltimore Terrence Cody. Of the two, Soliai is the better player, but he can be crossed off the wish list because his agent told the Florida Sun-Sentinel that he’s looking for an upgrade over the two-year $12 million dollar contract he just completed with the Dolphins.

The Steelers, even after they decide to restructure or terminate Ike Taylor and/or LaMarr Woodley, would not be in position to pay a nose tackle, say, $7 million per season on a multi-year deal. And if they did it would have to be a deal with a low base salary with high cap hits in future years. That seems unlikely. Plus, he’s 30 years old.

Cody is a more realistic option, but would he really be an upgrade over McLendon? At 6 feet and 360 pounds, Cody is the more typical 3-4 nose tackle. He is bigger than McLendon, who was listed last season at 285 pounds. McLendon actually played at a heavier weight but nothing approaching 360 pounds.

Cody is a former second round pick out of Alabama. He was a starter in 2011 but has been relegated to backup duty behind Haloti Ngata the past two seasons. He would be relatively cheap on the free agent market, but the Steelers would be taking a chance on someone else’s backup, a player who has not been a starter in the league for two years. Plus, he missed four games last season with an injury.

The Steelers would have to be convinced that Cody was stuck behind an All-Pro and not an underachiever who was only able to get on the field for 240 snaps last season. Considering the amount of time he played last season that would be a hard one to figure out for the pro scouts.

Another option could be drafting and developing a nose tackle. It might not be Louis Nix in the first round, but drafting a player might make the most sense considering the cap situation the Steelers are currently in. It’s harder finding a player ready to step in and play after round 1, but it could be an option.

Or they could simply stand pat and go with McLendon, who was signed to a contract last year that pays him $2.45 million next season, the highest for any defensive linemen on the roster. McLendon started for the first time and Steelers could hope he improves by next season after learning the ropes.

[URL]http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/03/07/Draft-a-nose-sign-one-in-free-agency-or-stand-pat-with-Steve-McLendon/stories/201403070004[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Red Bryant

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Before they go signing anyone, they better save some money for HEYWARD.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

free agency.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

"Draft a nose, sign one in free agency or stand pat with Steve McLendon?" I guess that means bringing Casey Hampton or Chris Hoke out of retirement isn't an option?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well if we believe that stopping the run is our #1 priority, then the answer is Nix and be done with it for the next decade. Plus, that also solves the problem of depth at DE.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm not sold on Mt Cody from Baltimore, I think we could do better elsewhere. If they do decide to go after Nix, they better trade down and pick up two corners imo

With one of those corners an early round selection.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Anyone know much about Justin Ellis from Louisiana Tech? Seems intriguing, but is he better suited at NT or DE? Seems more penetrator than plugger, but have not seen a whole lot.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I'm not sold on Mt Cody from Baltimore, I think we could do better elsewhere. If they do decide to go after Nix, they better trade down and pick up two corners imo

With one of those corners an early round selection.
    I'm not the world's best draftnik, but this sounds like a great idea to me.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what the answer is...but what it isn't is standing pat with McLendon. IMO he was awful last year, and that mistake is what set off a chain of events that included: Vince Williams playing a lot of LB, Troy playing a lot of LB, too much nickel which constantly burned the team, and few positive results.