Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft a NT, sign one in free agency or stand pat with McLendon?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I'm not sure what the answer is...but what it isn't is standing pat with McLendon. IMO he was awful last year, and that mistake is what set off a chain of events that included: Vince Williams playing a lot of LB, Troy playing a lot of LB, too much nickel which constantly burned the team, and few positive results.
    Thats a good point. I'm not sold on Nix at 1.15 but you pointed out a major problem last year.

Our secondary sucked but did our poor run defense make the secondary look worse than what it actually was? Probably. Don't get me wrong, I think we need CB help and definitely a FS so I'm not making excuses for the secondary.

BUT.... When you have to line up Troy as a LB, that tells me you have zero faith in your ability to stop the run on critical downs. It wasn't VW's fault or Timmons fault. Teams were running it right down our throats which points directly at McClendon.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Thats a good point. I'm not sold on Nix at 1.15 but you pointed out a major problem last year.

Our secondary sucked but did our poor run defense make the secondary look worse than what it actually was? Probably. Don't get me wrong, I think we need CB help and definitely a FS so I'm not making excuses for the secondary.

BUT.... When you have to line up Troy as a LB, that tells me you have zero faith in your ability to stop the run on critical downs. It wasn't VW's fault or Timmons fault. Teams were running it right down our throats which points directly at McClendon.
    I don't think this means McClendon sux. His skills as a penetrator are better utilized at DE.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    I don't think this means McClendon sux. His skills as a penetrator are better utilized at DE.
    Quite possibly but the steeler are using him as a NT so it doesn't really matter that he's a better fit for DE. We need a legit NT.

Opposing teams don't say... "McClendon is a good penetrator DE but he's lined up at NT... so let's not run the ball up the middle".... Nope, they were running right at him.

McClendon may not suck but he's not good.. I have high hopes for him but I think labeling him as good is a bit of a stretch at this point.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

roster, FA or draft (not before our 3rd round comp pick)

look at the top NTs in the league, you dont have to spend a #15 overall to find one. heck we had one and waived him and drafted him in the 4th

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like the kid from delaware, Kerr.

he could be had in the 4th or 5th, or even later,IMO

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

McCullers of Tenn might be worth a shot in about the 4th. Huge player who has some upside.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't touch mcullers with a 10 foot pole

kid is lazy as hell

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Red Bryant
    Jaguars sign Red Bryant

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 8, 2014

The Jaguars have just bolstered their rebuilding effort with a big addition to their defense.

Red Bryant, a starting defensive end on last year’s Super Bowl-winning Seahawks team, has signed with Jacksonville. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that it’s a four-year deal.

The 6-foot-4, 323 pound Bryant has started every game but one in the last three seasons for Seattle. Overall he’s been with the Seahawks for six years, having arrived as a fourth-round pick in 2008.

Although the official free agency period hasn’t started yet, Bryant is eligible to sign now because he was released by the Seahawks in a cost-cutting move.

Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley was the Seahawks’ defensive coordinator from 2009 to 2012, so he knows Bryant well. Bryant will be a big part of Bradley’s efforts to turn around the struggling Jaguars.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/08/jaguars-sign-red-bryant/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Quite possibly but the steeler are using him as a NT so it doesn't really matter that he's a better fit for DE. We need a legit NT.

Opposing teams don't say... "McClendon is a good penetrator DE but he's lined up at NT... so let's not run the ball up the middle".... Nope, they were running right at him.

McClendon may not suck but he's not good.. I have high hopes for him but I think labeling him as good is a bit of a stretch at this point.
    I never said he was good. But he might be with a move to DE. Think about this as our starting rotation: Heyward, Nix, McClendon. The only reason McClendon was playing NT is because there was nobody else. NT is a glaring need and I would even consider moving up a few spots to secure Nix if necessary.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The writer says that Terrence Cody is 6 feet tall and 360.

Whaaaa? Cody is 6'4 at least.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.