Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Brown restructures contract, frees up $4 million of cap space

Legend

User Info Menu

Antonio Brown restructures contract, frees up $4 million of cap space

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter:

Steelers WR Antonio Brown restructured his contract and freed up $4 million worth of cap space for Pittsburgh, per league source.

[URL]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Antonio Brown restructures contract, frees up nearly $4 million in cap space
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2014, 8:19 PM EST
    Brown AP

As the Steelers continue their now-annual game of salary-cap limbo, their 2011 and 2013 MVP has done the team a favor.

The favor, of course, doesn’t require much of a sacrifice. In lieu of collecting a total of $6 million in game checks from September through December, Brown took most of it right now.

The restructuring, first reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, creates $4 million in cap space. The actual number, assuming that the Steelers maximized the ability to convert salary to signing bonus by reducing Brown to the minimum base salary for his level of experience ($715,000), comes out to $3,963,750.

Under that approach, Brown gets $5.285 million now. The bonus money gets spread over the final four years of his current contract. At $1,321,250 per year, the signing bonus nudges a total of $3.96 million into future cap years.

Other candidates for a restructuring, a no-raise extension, or a release include linebacker LaMarr Woodley, cornerback Ike Taylor, and linebacker Lawrence Timmons.
    more details
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

IDK, so much of this is kicking the can down the road, where dead money will come into play. But at least with AB we know he should be good for many years to come, unlike Troy and Heath, where they won't be playing very much longer.

Backup

User Info Menu

So were are we now with the salary cap? I have us at 8 Million under.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    So were are we now with the salary cap? I have us at 8 Million under.
    I haven't done the math...but, if that is correct, we need to deal with Ike (cut in pay or bye bye) and go after a couple of FA's that can help us be contenders next year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm all for kicking the can - every year with Roethlisberger should be considered The Most Important Year. He's aging and getting beat up along with the rest of them.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I'm all for kicking the can - every year with Roethlisberger should be considered The Most Important Year. He's aging and getting beat up along with the rest of them.
    That's a good point.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Good point.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

cap may rise to 160 million by 2016

keep kicking that can Mr Rooney

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In addition to that...when he is finally gone and comes off the books, 20M a year is freed up and a rookie contract QB will be very cheap, allowing some of these other salaries to exist. This is probably actually a perfect scenario to kick money to future years, especially with the salary cap explosion expected as someone else mentioned.