Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contract Extensions for both Troy Polamalu and Heath Miller through 2016

Legend

User Info Menu

Contract Extensions for both Troy Polamalu and Heath Miller through 2016

[URL="http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-Polamalu-and-Miller-through-2016/a89d6d03-91cb-4d00-b29f-9de0b5b5a48e"]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-Polamalu-and-Miller-through-2016/a89d6d03-91cb-4d00-b29f-9de0b5b5a48e"]Steelers sign Polamalu and Miller through 2016
    Posted 37 minutes ago

The Steelers have signed S Troy Polamalu and TE Heath Miller to three-year contracts.

The Steelers have signed two veterans, safety Troy Polamalu and tight end Heath Miller, to new three-year contracts that will keep them with the team through the 2016 season. Financial terms of the deals were not released.

Polamalu (5-10, 207) was originally drafted by the Steelers in the first round (16th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft. For his career, he has started 130 regular-season games and 14 postseason contests. Polamalu’s 32 career interceptions are tied for the seventh-most in team history, and his five career defensive touchdowns are tied for the second-most in franchise history.

He has earned numerous NFL honors throughout his career, including being named AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2010 and to the 2000’s NFL All-Decade Team. Polamalu was also named first-team AP All-Pro four times (2005, 2008, 2010-11), second-team AP All-Pro twice (2004, 2007), earned eight Pro Bowl selections and earned AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors seven times.

He was also selected to the Steelers’ 75th Anniversary Team in 2007, named Steelers’ MVP and Steelers’ Walter Payton Man of the Year in 2010, and won the Joe Greene Great Performance Award, given annually to the Steelers top rookie in 2003.

Miller (6-5, 256) was originally drafted by the Steelers in the first round (30th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. He has started 136 career regular-season contests and 12 postseason games, and has established himself as one of the top tight ends in franchise history.

Entering the 2014 season, Miller ranks in the Top 10 in franchise history in receptions (third, 466), receiving yards (fifth, 5,273) and receiving touchdowns (fifth, 40). His receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns are also the most by a tight end in team history.

Miller currently has a personal-best streak of 81 regular-season games in which he has played in with at least one reception. His team-best streak began during the 2008 season and is the second-longest streak in team history (Hines Ward, 186).

A two-time Super Bowl Champion (XL and XLIII), Miller became the first tight end in team history to be named Steelers’ MVP when he took home such honors for his 2012 campaign. He also won the Joe Greene Great Performance Award, given annually to the team’s top rookie in 2005.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-Polamalu-and-Miller-through-2016/a89d6d03-91cb-4d00-b29f-9de0b5b5a48e"]

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-Polamalu-and-Miller-through-2016/a89d6d03-91cb-4d00-b29f-9de0b5b5a48e[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just like our govt.: Kicking the can down the road to ensure future financial problems. I am not crazy about doing this all the time. Does anyone here believe Troy has 3 more years in him, of top shelf $? No way. This could be his last year and then what? More debt. More cap problems. I find this policy irresponsible. Do the right thing now to save our future, instead of being so Obama like.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Just like our govt.: Kicking the can down the road to ensure future financial problems. I am not crazy about doing this all the time. Does anyone here believe Troy has 3 more years in him, of top shelf $? No way. This could be his last year and then what? More debt. More cap problems. I find this policy irresponsible. Do the right thing now to save our future, instead of being so Obama like.
    Let's see the numbers before we judge too much.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Let's see the numbers before we judge too much.
    50% cut would be all right
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Great!!! Other than Ben, these are the 2 other most important players on the team that will hopefully help us get #7, #8, and #9 in the next 3 years...

Legend

User Info Menu

looks like heaths deal was decent for us.
    not liking the sounds of troys tho'
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Great!!! Other than Ben, these are the 2 other most important players on the team that will hopefully help us get #7, #8, and #9 in the next 3 years...
    I don't know dude. If this were the 2005 versions of Troy and Heath, I am with you. But this is the 2014 version. That is 9 years, bro. I would even take the 2008 versions, but look at what these guys have actually done the last 2 seasons. Troy stayed healthy for the season last year, which means odds are he will get hurt this season, basing it on his career trends the last 7 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know dude. If this were the 2005 versions of Troy and Heath, I am with you. But this is the 2014 version. That is 9 years, bro. I would even take the 2008 versions, but look at what these guys have actually done the last 2 seasons. Troy stayed healthy for the season last year, which means odds are he will get hurt this season, basing it on his career trends the last 7 years.
    Troy stayed healthy essentially playing as a LB which bodes well for his health if we can solidify the LBs and let him play S. I think he got past his injury issues. The only fear I have with him is whenever he hits the old guy wall and his athleticism drops. Not quite there yet and I think he'll pay dividends.

Heath is still the man. His injury took a while for him to get back. I see next year being a huge year for Heath coming into the season healthy.

Even at their ages, I think these are our 2 of our most important players.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Troy stayed healthy essentially playing as a LB which bodes well for his health if we can solidify the LBs and let him play S. I think he got past his injury issues. The only fear I have with him is whenever he hits the old guy wall and his athleticism drops. Not quite there yet and I think he'll pay dividends.

Heath is still the man. His injury took a while for him to get back. I see next year being a huge year for Heath coming into the season healthy.

Even at their ages, I think these are our 2 of our most important players.

For the very present, yes. But at some point, you don't want to destroy your future success if doing so only cobbles together an 8-8 season. Is that all they are doing with these moves?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm with you beats. Let's hope the numbers are not what we are thinking they'll be.