Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Breaking Down Jason Worilds' Production for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Sure a sack is a sack on the stat sheet, but if half of his sacks are unblocked straight lines at the QB in garbage time should that heavily weigh in paying him $10 million for a single season? The answer is no btw

    Like ive said before, ive never seen worilds win a one on one battle until this season...to me that is concerning.
    Not to me it's not. Sacks are all about maximizing your opportunities. Worilds made the most of his chances last season. So many variables go into a sack. Formations, offensive play call, defensive play call, coverage downfield, QB turning the wrong way, RB missing a blocking assignment....the list goes on and on.

    The talent level among NFL players is so high that more often than not, when one player "beats" another player, it's because the "losing player" made a mistake. Sure you'd love to have every single player on your team be able to best his opponent one-on-one on each and every single play. That's an absolutely unrealistic expectation. Not only because you can never have players that are that much better than their opponents, but because with modern NFL schemes, it's rare that players battle one-on-one on every play. Every single NFL team employs some zone blocking scheme in every single game.

  2. #12
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,197
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Not to me it's not. Sacks are all about maximizing your opportunities. Worilds made the most of his chances last season. So many variables go into a sack. Formations, offensive play call, defensive play call, coverage downfield, QB turning the wrong way, RB missing a blocking assignment....the list goes on and on.

    The talent level among NFL players is so high that more often than not, when one player "beats" another player, it's because the "losing player" made a mistake. Sure you'd love to have every single player on your team be able to best his opponent one-on-one on each and every single play. That's an absolutely unrealistic expectation. Not only because you can never have players that are that much better than their opponents, but because with modern NFL schemes, it's rare that players battle one-on-one on every play. Every single NFL team employs some zone blocking scheme in every single game.
    If thats the case then all players should just make the same amount of money..."its a team sport"

    BS. The OLBs that win their matchups consistently, whether it be one on one or not are the ones that make $10 million a season. Sack totals dont even tell the whole story. Its setting the edge, generating pressure, making tackles for losses. Theres tons of variables, like you said but right now his value is not $10 million for this year. He gets washed out of the play more than any LB making that kind of money...watch him play, thats fact.

    For 3.5 seasons he was a useless piece of the defense...its not because he just wastn getting a shot, its because he was underperforming when he was given a shot. He DID make the most of his opportunities a lot of the time last year, and maybe he will be worth that much money, we could be looking at the next star LB....but as of right now, no.

  3. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,353
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    The transition tag is interesting. At first, I thought it was simply a negotiating tactic. But, now, at best, it is simply an overpay for a one year deal. Once Worilds signed the tag, we really lost our negotiating ability. What reasonable offer would he sign now? It just seems weird to me.
    Its still cheaper than the franchise tag for a LB. I think its 11.5 mill...
    Last edited by feltdizz; 03-07-2014 at 01:24 PM.

  4. #14
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,414
    Worilds makes a lot of tackles for an OLB. He's a good football player that's only going to get better. I think he's the best athlete we have at the OLB position on our roster.

    Let's remember he's going through his first near full season learning curve. I think he's gonna dominate next year.

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,197
    Jason Worilds is Clark Haggans

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,223
    ...maybe, just maybe, the Steelers know exactly who Jason Worilds is and have no intention of signing him to a blockbuster multi-year deal. The transition allows them to draft his replacement and slide him into JW spot at the end of the season. Period.

    The Steelers make out either way. JW has a mega-season for the Steelers and he grabs his big payday with another team next year, and the Steelers get cheap, talented LB in this talent heavy draft. I still think the risk is all on Worilds at this point.

  7. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,353
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    ...maybe, just maybe, the Steelers know exactly who Jason Worilds is and have no intention of signing him to a blockbuster multi-year deal. The transition allows them to draft his replacement and slide him into JW spot at the end of the season. Period.

    The Steelers make out either way. JW has a mega-season for the Steelers and he grabs his big payday with another team next year, and the Steelers get cheap, talented LB in this talent heavy draft. I still think the risk is all on Worilds at this point.
    that is an expensive transition...

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    that is an expensive transition...
    Not really...$0 long term...$0 dead money if he flames out...

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    If thats the case then all players should just make the same amount of money..."its a team sport"

    BS. The OLBs that win their matchups consistently, whether it be one on one or not are the ones that make $10 million a season. Sack totals dont even tell the whole story. Its setting the edge, generating pressure, making tackles for losses. Theres tons of variables, like you said but right now his value is not $10 million for this year. He gets washed out of the play more than any LB making that kind of money...watch him play, thats fact.

    For 3.5 seasons he was a useless piece of the defense...its not because he just wastn getting a shot, its because he was underperforming when he was given a shot. He DID make the most of his opportunities a lot of the time last year, and maybe he will be worth that much money, we could be looking at the next star LB....but as of right now, no.
    See, I don't think he'll end up counting $10 mill against the cap this year. My guess is they work out a long term deal and that 10 drops down to a 6-7 mill deal on this year's cap #.

    I disagree with you that he was a useless piece of the defense for 3.5 years. Worilds was behind Harrison and Woodley for most of that time. The biggest issue with him has been injuries. When his chances came, he couldn't deliver because he was injured. That's my #1 concern with him moving forward. Can he stay healthy??? The Steelers are obviously banking on that happening.

    I'm just glad they're locking up a young talented player instead of losing him to free agency.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Will he be any better than JJ? It seems he's actually thinner and weaker than JJ probably, which is his biggest knock right now. JJ - 20 reps and he is considered weak. Barr - 15 reps...that is scary. (Arms are only 1/2" longer too)

    Barr is much more explosive, but how will that fit into a Steelers defense where he needs to play the run well and take on blockers?
    The fact that I could beat a high rated NFL prospect at LB in benching is not the best of news.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •