Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Breaking Down Jason Worilds' Production for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013

Administrator

User Info Menu

I just don't think it's the Steelers style to pay a guy 10 million for 1 year if they weren't sure they wanted him long term. Especially, considering they aren't desperate for starting OLBs when they have Jarvis and Woodley with big money tied up w/ Woodley.

I don't think it's smart at all to cut Woodley and only give Worilds a 1 year deal. Not only is that not smart... that's just stupid IMO. What happens next year? Worilds and his agent will have the Steelers FO by the balls. If Worilds walks, then we're going into the 2015 season with no idea who our starting OLB is. That just seems like poor planning IMO.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I just don't think it's the Steelers style to pay a guy 10 million for 1 year if they weren't sure they wanted him long term. Especially, considering they aren't desperate for starting OLBs when they have Jarvis and Woodley with big money tied up w/ Woodley.

I don't think it's smart at all to cut Woodley and only give Worilds a 1 year deal. Not only is that not smart... that's just stupid IMO. What happens next year? Worilds and his agent will have the Steelers FO by the balls. If Worilds walks, then we're going into the 2015 season with no idea who our starting OLB is. That just seems like poor planning IMO.
    I would actually agree with you. Not typically Steelers m.o. but I think they painted themselves into a corner. Worilds has yet to prove he can stay healthy and play a full 16 game season...he had one great half a season. He wasn't even good enough to hold his starting job last season now the Steelers are going to sign him to 5 year 50 mil? I just can't see it. They know they messed this one up. He should have been signed before last year to an extension. He wasn't because they just didn't believe he was that good. JJ started because they believed he wasn't that good. So, were they that wrong? Or was Worilds truly just a half season wonder? I think they are forced to pay the money to find out.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

You're not giving the Steelers org much credit for knowing how to run their team. Suppose they draft Worilds replacement? Has a chance to learn for a year before starting next.
    The Steelers are doing what they almost always do, setting themselves up so that they have as many options in the draft as possible.

Legend

User Info Menu

I just don't think it's the Steelers style to pay a guy 10 million for 1 year if they weren't sure they wanted him long term.
    They did it twice with Starks.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    They did it twice with Starks.
    I took that into consideration w/ my post but that was a completely different scenario. The Steelers were desperate at LT and weren't paying another LT 10 million when they slapped Starks with the transition tag.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    You're not giving the Steelers org much credit for knowing how to run their team. Suppose they draft Worilds replacement? Has a chance to learn for a year before starting next.
    The Steelers are doing what they almost always do, setting themselves up so that they have as many options in the draft as possible.
    The team doesn't really have that luxory IMO. You could lock up your starting OLB for years to come with Worilds and Jones. Worilds is only 26. Why create another big hole and uncertainty on defense when you have the answer on the roster? The Steelers have so many needs on defense that I don't see why they would want to create another one by choice.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    ...if half of his sacks are unblocked straight lines at the QB in garbage time...
    Stop embellishing your argument. Jason Worilds had eight sacks last season: two in the first quarter, four in the second quarter, two in the third quarter, and none in the fourth quarter. So much for all those "garbage time" sacks of his.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

The team doesn't really have that luxory IMO. You could lock up your starting OLB for years to come with Worilds and Jones. Worilds is only 26. Why create another big hole and uncertainty on defense when you have the answer on the roster? The Steelers have so many needs on defense that I don't see why they would want to create another one by choice.
    The thing is, the team may not view Worilds as their long-term answer at LOLB, as he does come with some question marks. The team may want to excercise the insurance policy of putting him in position for a full year to decide if they want to make the commitment. Think about it:

- He has never started a season at the position
    - He has only started 21 games in 4 seasons - 11 last season
    - They may be a bit gun shy after the Woodley debacle

What does it cost to sign him long term today? $8M per year? How high does it go if he has a good year? $10-11M? What happens if you sign him to the $8M per year Woodley type contract and he stiffs? There is another huge chunk you eat, which we know the team would hate to do on the heels of Woodley.

They are comfortable at the position for this year. Next year they have a third year Jones, and perhaps a pick from this year, a FA that can be looked at with the Worilds money no longer at the position, or bringing back Worilds who will have a full year starting at LOLB to prove himself.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The thing is, the team may not view Worilds as their long-term answer at LOLB, as he does come with some question marks. The team may want to excercise the insurance policy of putting him in position for a full year to decide if they want to make the commitment. Think about it:

- He has never started a season at the position
    - He has only started 21 games in 4 seasons - 11 last season
    - They may be a bit gun shy after the Woodley debacle

What does it cost to sign him long term today? $8M per year? How high does it go if he has a good year? $10-11M? What happens if you sign him to the $8M per year Woodley type contract and he stiffs? There is another huge chunk you eat, which we know the team would hate to do on the heels of Woodley.

They are comfortable at the position for this year. Next year they have a third year Jones, and perhaps a pick from this year, a FA that can be looked at with the Worilds money no longer at the position, or bringing back Worilds who will have a full year starting at LOLB to prove himself.
    I agree, which is why I say a $10M stopgap is not that unreasonable. He needs to show the team he is the long-term answer before he gets the long-term deal.