Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56

Thread: Contract Extensions for both Troy Polamalu and Heath Miller through 2016

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    IMO, Troy was one of the only sparks on a lifeless defense besides maybe Cam.
    He had his moments. No one can deny that. But, I know many of you seen the whiffs, him getting blown up, him not wrapping tackles, being out of position, getting burned. This is also part of his story last season. Age plus having to knock off some cob webs from his game lead to him not playing like himself. If he can stay healthy I actually expect him to have a decent season. But, the Troy of old is likely gone. He was signed to mentor the Shark, to be a bridge until Shark is ready to start....AND for PR. No one including myself wants to see Troy wearing a Cardinals jersey.

  2. #42
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,210
    Ive seen troy wrap up probably 2 tackles ever....if that is your jumping off point for evaluating him no wonder you think he sucks

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    It's funny what some consider douchebaggery. When you are smug, expect a smug response. You act as if you know why the Steelers re-signed Troy...you state it as fact. Since the Steelers re-signed Troy then that means they were happy with his coverage skills last season...therefore you are wrong. It's broken logic and I expect better from you. Is it possible the Steelers feel at this stage in the game that even an aged, oft out of position Troy is better than Shark at this point in their careers, and that the Shark could use Troy's mentoring? Is it possible the Steelers know it would be a horrible PR move with many fans to let Troy walk or to cut him? Is it possible that the Steelers might not have been happy with Troy's play last season but think he still has enough in the tank to rebound this season? There are many reasons the Steelers might sign Troy...and none of them have to be that the Steelers didn't see what I seen last season.
    If you think this is smug...or somehow a statement that presents my opinion as fact

    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I think the Steelers feel differently
    ...then I can't help you...

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If you think this is smug...or somehow a statement that presents my opinion as fact



    ...then I can't help you...
    And if you feel my statement was douchebaggery I can't help you.

  5. #45
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    He had his moments. No one can deny that. But, I know many of you seen the whiffs, him getting blown up, him not wrapping tackles, being out of position, getting burned. This is also part of his story last season. Age plus having to knock off some cob webs from his game lead to him not playing like himself. If he can stay healthy I actually expect him to have a decent season. But, the Troy of old is likely gone. He was signed to mentor the Shark, to be a bridge until Shark is ready to start....AND for PR. No one including myself wants to see Troy wearing a Cardinals jersey.
    I think Troy's play is fine. It's more the other guys around him. Did he get out of position? Sure. Quite often actually. But I think it had more to do with the Steelers not being able to tackle and stop the run, so he was trying to do everything.

    It's not like all of a sudden he forgot how to play in DL's D and continually got out of position as a result. He was trying to overcompensate for an overall lack of talent. Last season, we had 3 other guys on the field that were solid when they played - Heyward, Worilds/Woodley, and Gay.

    I think Troy and Timmons both had some breakdowns trying to cover for other players lack of ability.

  6. #46
    Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    He had his moments. No one can deny that. But, I know many of you seen the whiffs, him getting blown up, him not wrapping tackles, being out of position, getting burned. This is also part of his story last season. Age plus having to knock off some cob webs from his game lead to him not playing like himself. If he can stay healthy I actually expect him to have a decent season. But, the Troy of old is likely gone. He was signed to mentor the Shark, to be a bridge until Shark is ready to start....AND for PR. No one including myself wants to see Troy wearing a Cardinals jersey.
    You aren't the only one who saw those things Shawn. Excellent post.

  7. #47
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,223
    "douchebaggery".... love the word.....

  8. #48
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,223
    I don't fault Troy for having a sub-Troy year. Guy was asked to do more than what he normally did. Kinda like asking the company accountant to run the mailroom. There's bound to be problems...

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    You aren't the only one who saw those things Shawn. Excellent post.
    Starting to feel crazy, like I was imagining things. Good to hear I'm not the only one.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I don't fault Troy for having a sub-Troy year. Guy was asked to do more than what he normally did. Kinda like asking the company accountant to run the mailroom. There's bound to be problems...
    I don't "fault" Troy. There is no doubt he was put into some bad positions by both his teammates, DL, and by being played as an ILB at times. With that said, he would need to own some of it...specifically his tackling which was just bad at times.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •