Thread: Terminations (Ike?) should come soon

Legend

User Info Menu

Terminations (Ike?) should come soon

Terminations should come soon

by Ray Fittipaldo
    Feb. 28, 2014

Good morning.

The new salary cap NFL teams will be operating under next season is expected to be announced next week. All 32 NFL teams must be under the new cap, which is expected to be $133 million, by March 11, which also is the first day of free agency.

Many teams have already begun to cut players. The Ravens on Thursday released longtime fullback Vonta Leach and linebacker Jameel McClain. Their releases saved the Ravens and nearly $5 million and they now will be more than $25 million under the new cap number, according to the Baltimore Sun.

The Steelers will soon release offensive lineman Levi Brown and his $6 million salary. That will get the Steelers to the point where they are almost cap compliant. But merely being compliant is not the answer for the Steelers, who need money to sign their own impending free agents such as Jason Worilds as well the money they’ll need for their new players that come through the draft.

That means other veterans are likely to be terminated or have their contracts restructured. Ike Taylor would save the Steelers $7 million in cap space if he is released. The Steelers could act as soon as today on Taylor. He is the most likely first release because the situation with the outside linebackers is more complicated.

The Steelers can save $8 million this season by releasing veteran outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley as well as $8.5 million next year and $9 million in 2015. But they might not be willing to sever ties with Woodley until Worilds is signed.

If the Steelers do not sign Worilds they would be in a situation where they might be forced to keep Woodley and his $13.6 million cap hit because their most experienced outside linebacker would be Jarvis Jones, who had to be benched in his rookie season for failing to produce.

If the Steelers do sign Worilds they could cut Woodley soon or wait until June 1, when he would cost less against the cap this season.

More cap relief could come from restructuring contracts of other high earners such as Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu.

Steelers president Art Rooney II said last week the Steelers could be more active in free agency this year because the cap’s expected increase. In order for that to happen, look for Taylor to go first and then the Woodley/Worilds situation to play out next.

[URL]http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/02/28/Terminations-should-come-soon/stories/201402280001[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm thinking a couple of restructures to free enough cap to re-sign Worilds to a modest contract would do the trick.... THEN, you cut Woodley if you decide to. Kinda sux - when he's in shape and healthy, he's a beast.... and I mocked him that year, so, I'm attached! LOL
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Their not signing Worilds and keeping Woodley.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Their not signing Worilds and keeping Woodley.
    Understood. I know it's a pipe dream... however, you do sign Worilds before cutting woodley - just in case you're too far apart on the numbers.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Santonio Holmes will soon be available...lol
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Understood. I know it's a pipe dream... however, you do sign Worilds before cutting woodley - just in case you're too far apart on the numbers.
    Off topic....love the mock SOD.

Legend

User Info Menu

I predict they will keep Woodley and let Worilds walk.
    Just a feeling I have.
    When Woodley was not injured he was a good OLB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just a feeling I have.
    That is my thinking. It is the conclusion that the money leads you to, and that is usually the right path to follow.

Legend

User Info Menu

folks who complain about Woodley constantly being hurt, often forget that Worilds was no better in that department..
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Just a feeling I have.
    It has been 3 years since Woodley has produced at the level of his contract.

Sorry, but in LB years that about 1/3 of his useable career. Even if fully healed, Woodley is not worth his $14M salary cap hit. I'm afraid the Steelers badly err'd with this signing and they continue to have to deal with it.

Time to make the break and move on.