Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bell can ball

Pro Bowler

Bell can ball

Not just football, dude can hoop.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...burgh-steelers

He's gonna have a big season. 1,300 yards, 12 TDs, 55 catches, 525 yards

Legend
    He needs to quit that BS before he gets hurt and won't do jack next season. Doing that will do nothing to make him a better NFL RB, it just risks injury.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

At least Bell is just dunking in a gym by himself and not playing in a game. It's gotta be a function of competition, I guess. It always amazes me that guys with actual professional careers or aspiring professional athletes do this in the offseason, especially in sports like football where there are no guaranteed contracts.

I play lots of hoops here in the town where I live. During the summers, I've played with guys who were currently on NFL rosters, and with guys who were invited to training camps. I couldn't believe they were up at the Y playing ball. This one player (I won't mention his name but he was on both the Steelers and the Giants rosters at various points about 7-10 years ago) used to come up to play ball. He was an great athlete but not a great player. He'd literally drive down the lane and try to dunk every time he got the ball. Now, anyone who's ever played Y-ball over the years knows that there are ALWAYS 2-3 guys up there who seem to think their only function is to foul the $hit out of people. I saw this dude get knocked down a bunch of times and turn an ankle more than once. He was trying to make the roster, and definitely wasn't guaranteed anything.

My buddies and I were always amazed that he'd risk his potential NFL career to play ball at a small-town YMCA. But it's just competition. Some guys just need to compete at everything and let the consequences be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    He needs to quit that BS before he gets hurt and won't do jack next season. Doing that will do nothing to make him a better NFL RB, it just risks injury.
    Experts disagree...playing other sports makes for a more well rounded athlete...it will help him with hand/eye coordination, etc.

If all they are worried about is injury, then they shouldn't work out, run or lift weights in the offseason either...

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    At least Bell is just dunking in a gym by himself and not playing in a game. It's gotta be a function of competition, I guess. It always amazes me that guys with actual professional careers or aspiring professional athletes do this in the offseason, especially in sports like football where there are no guaranteed contracts.

I play lots of hoops here in the town where I live. During the summers, I've played with guys who were currently on NFL rosters, and with guys who were invited to training camps. I couldn't believe they were up at the Y playing ball. This one player (I won't mention his name but he was on both the Steelers and the Giants rosters at various points about 7-10 years ago) used to come up to play ball. He was an great athlete but not a great player. He'd literally drive down the lane and try to dunk every time he got the ball. Now, anyone who's ever played Y-ball over the years knows that there are ALWAYS 2-3 guys up there who seem to think their only function is to foul the $hit out of people. I saw this dude get knocked down a bunch of times and turn an ankle more than once. He was trying to make the roster, and definitely wasn't guaranteed anything.

My buddies and I were always amazed that he'd risk his potential NFL career to play ball at a small-town YMCA. But it's just competition. Some guys just need to compete at everything and let the consequences be damned.
    What's more crazy? Jeopardizing a career by playing hoops, or by smoking hippie lettuce? Was the player Mundy or Burress?

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Experts disagree...playing other sports makes for a more well rounded athlete...it will help him with hand/eye coordination, etc.

If all they are worried about is injury, then they shouldn't work out, run or lift weights in the offseason either...
    Yes and no. Working out is usually controlled with chance of injury remaining low. The only way I hurt myself in the weight room was tossing my back out, and that was my fault with technique. After I figured out what I was doing wrong, I never have been hurt in the weight room again. But, I have seen more than one guy blow out an Achilles or ACL playing hoops. That is far more risky.

Well, with marijuana legal in a handful of states for recreational use, and legal with a prescription in many, many other states, I don't really see it as that big of a detriment. Player wasn't Mundy or Burress.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I couldn't believe they were up at the Y playing ball. This one player (I won't mention his name but he was on both the Steelers and the Giants rosters at various points about 7-10 years ago) used to come up to play ball. He was an great athlete but not a great player. He'd literally drive down the lane and try to dunk every time he got the ball. Now, anyone who's ever played Y-ball over the years knows that there are ALWAYS 2-3 guys up there who seem to think their only function is to foul the $hit out of people. I saw this dude get knocked down a bunch of times and turn an ankle more than once. He was trying to make the roster, and definitely wasn't guaranteed anything.
    Good Call. You SHOULD protect this player's identity at all costs. After all, if we found out who he was, absolutely nothing of any consequence could possibly come of it.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler
    Steelers/Gianst connections, this could be fun

Brent Alexander
    Plaxico Burress.....annndddddd thats all i got lol

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

How about riding motorcycles without a helmet and without a valid license? !!