Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Worilds to 1 year deal...9.7 mill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign Worilds to 1 year deal...9.7 mill

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/03/04/Linebacker-Jason-Worilds-signs-one-year-contract-with-Steelers/stories/201403040168[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

Question for all resident salary cap experts. If this deal stays as is what does it do to our cap situation? I take it Woodley is now a Summer cut for sure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/03/04/Linebacker-Jason-Worilds-signs-one-year-contract-with-Steelers/stories/201403040168[/URL]
    I don't think I'm too thrilled with this turn of events. We all knew something had to happen with Worilds and Woodley, but Worilds signing on for almost 10 million wasn't an option that I was thinking would come to fruition. I think the Steelers are going to end up with a contract similar to Woodley's that pushes money to the end and eats up cap space. So, are the Steelers looking at 5 years 40 million like Kruger? Plus Woodley?

Dang, the next moves should be interesting to say the least.

I think Ike should be considering where he's going to be playing next year and probably Woodley as well, Troy might hang around, but the Steelers will be on the hook for a big salary there.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this just means Woodley's gonna get a chance to play on the right this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they can move some of this money around for cap space.... I hope so, I don't think Worilds is a 10 mill man.

Legend

User Info Menu

Way over paid for Worilds, one year, 9.1 mill, can't justify it. This is pretty disappointing to me, I hope he produces, but what if he's injured again?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Way over paid for Worilds, one year, 9.1 mill, can't justify it. This is pretty disappointing to me, I hope he produces, but what if he's injured again?
    If he gets injured again.... that's a familiar scenario (ie Woodley, Polamalu, Pouncey, etc).

Administrator

User Info Menu

I don't think the Steelers are planning to pay Worilds over 9 mil. I think they fully anticipate getting a long term deal worked out.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't think the Steelers are planning to pay Worilds over 9 mil. I think they fully anticipate getting a long term deal worked out.
    But, realistically how do you see that being structured? Kruger received 40 million for 5 years, whether he's worth it or not is irrelevant, he got it.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Exactly what I'm thinking. Signing a 1-year deal doesn't preclude him from signing a long-term deal. It just means he's off the table for other teams. I think Worilds inking the deal means he WANTS to be a Steeler and this is a showing of good faith.

I would imagine there is little to no signing bonus with being tagged, so, it would benefit the player to get a long-term deal with a signing bonus -- i.e., money NOW.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville