Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Worilds to 1 year deal...9.7 mill

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Knee Jerk reactions all around!
    We've already started working on an extension. Transition tag just gives the team the opportunity to not lose Jason without a fight.
    i don't know if I want to go past page one of this thread.
    EVERY YEAR WE HAVE 100 POSTERS WHO FLIP OUT ABOUT SOMETHING TOTALLY RIDICULOUS. THIS IS THIS YEARS VERSION.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I suspect Troy might be the the cap casualty and not Woodley. I believe the Steelers save around 8 million by cutting Troy. Woodley would give some relief but there is so much dead money...and the Steelers hate dead money. Not to mention JJ is an unknown commodity. I suspect JJ won't find his own until the 2015 season.
    buuuut cuttign woodley frees up money over the next several seasons. Cutting troy only saves them for a season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

my money is on they dont get a deal done by opening day

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    my money is on they dont get a deal done by opening day
    I don't bet cash, but I'll bet you .1 of a bitcoin they do

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I suspect Troy might be the the cap casualty and not Woodley. I believe the Steelers save around 8 million by cutting Troy. Woodley would give some relief but there is so much dead money...and the Steelers hate dead money. Not to mention JJ is an unknown commodity. I suspect JJ won't find his own until the 2015 season.
    The two moves are exclusive of each other. Cutting one does not mean that the other is safe. Same goes for Ike.

That being said, I thought that the team would live with Woodley for one more year and let Worilds walk. All else being even I would choose Worilds over Woodley at this point, but one was not under contract at the time and the other has $13M to eat if you let him walk. As much as the team hates dead money, I have to think that this signals the end of Woodley. Worilds is only a LOLB, and Woodley has such limited experience on the right side and does not fit the mold of a ROLB. Unless the team has zero faith that Jones can improve in his second year then the team will buck their trend and cut Woodley (unless he accepts a major cut in pay). I don't think he will or should take a drastic paycut because he will be relegated to backup duty or moved to his off side. If he is willing to accept less, then find a team willing to give him a chance to start - at least a legit shot to compete for a starting spot because he will be starting from behind in Pittsburgh. The only question left in my mind is pre or post June 1.

Then you have the questions in the secondary. Ike or Troy...or both? The bigger question is Gay/Allen or Shark. I think that the team would feel more comfortable starting Gay/Allen with a high pick coming in than Shark. Look for a substantial reduction from Ike if he is going to return - at least $4M of his $7M salary. I also can't see them keeping Troy at $8.25, and he is less dead money than Ike if cut. They need him more than they need Ike, look for a smaller request for reduction, maybe to $5M or $6M.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I don't bet cash, but I'll bet you .1 of a bitcoin they do
    I'll do that

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    im taking 1 year 10 million over a low ball offer over 5 years every time if im worilds.....he will never make 10 mil over the course of any one season and he can cash in next season on a long term deal because he'll only be what? 26?
    You guys are missing the bus. He'd likely make more than $10 million by simply signing a long-term deal. Somthing simple like, 5 years, $30 million with a $12 million signing bonus gives him the $12 million + his salary THIS year. He'd stand to make closer to $15 million THIS year, AND guarantee himself $30 million over the long haul, instead of risking that he makes nothing else (i.e., long-term injury this year).

You'd take that in a heartbeat, if you're Worilds.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Knee Jerk reactions all around!
    We've already started working on an extension. Transition tag just gives the team the opportunity to not lose Jason without a fight.
    i don't know if I want to go past page one of this thread.
    EVERY YEAR WE HAVE 100 POSTERS WHO FLIP OUT ABOUT SOMETHING TOTALLY RIDICULOUS. THIS IS THIS YEARS VERSION.
    I don't think there is even 100 active posters in this whole board. I don't see many posters freaking out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What are we going to do about depth now? What if Worilds gets hurt? Or what if Jarvis is still a 1-sack/year man? What is our contingency? I hope to god we aren't going in thinking CRIS effen Carter is a viable back-up? And since it seems apparent to anyone paying attention, that we need to bring in a starter quality back-up via the Draft, why wouldn't we just draft a young guy and have a short-term guy as our contingency (e.g. Woodley, Shaun Phillips).

I mean, aren't we going to have to bring in a young guy in any case?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    What are we going to do about depth now? What if Worilds gets hurt? Or what if Jarvis is still a 1-sack/year man? What is our contingency? I hope to god we aren't going in thinking CRIS effen Carter is a viable back-up? And since it seems apparent to anyone paying attention, that we need to bring in a starter quality back-up via the Draft, why wouldn't we just draft a young guy and have a short-term guy as our contingency (e.g. Woodley, Shaun Phillips).

I mean, aren't we going to have to bring in a young guy in any case?
    What is really frightening is Chris Carter and Jarvis Jones may end up being almost equal. Would love to add Trent Murphy in round 2
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"