Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Worilds to 1 year deal...9.7 mill

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Chances of me receiving this when worilds doesnt sign a deal? hmmmm
    I always pay my debts, but don't blow your load just yet buddy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    For sure! It is a red-flag in that regard.

They thought so little of Worilds, that they drafted Jones to replace him. They (further) gave Jones (who obviously had a poor grasp of the system and admittedly poor strength and poor speed) the starting job ahead of the veteran Worilds. Worilds strings together a month and a half of good play... and he's the 5th highest paid OLB in football? I'm sorry--that is Oakland Raider/Cleveland Brown GM'ing if you ask me.

And someone (above) posed the statement: Let's let him prove if he's legit. Well, that if all fine and dandy, if he suddenly becomes James Harrison or Kevin Greene next year. No problem. But that is pretty unlikely, I think we'd all agree. MORE likely: He gives us another middling, 7-10 sack season, mixing good with not-so-good. What then? (This is what I envision for the guy, another year like he had last year.) That is still good production, though not "top 5" OLB money. You can't ask him to come back at less money.
    And this is $$$$$$$.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    The Steelers shouldn't sign WORILDS to a long term deal. Losing WORILDS would have left us with 1 Veteran OLB and that would have been WOODLEY.

SO...... give WORILDS a chance to prove he's worth a Long Term Deal. He can be signed at the end of next year (at the same price tag he'd want now) if he proves he's legit. If NOT, then he walks and the Steelers have $9.7 million in cap space to work with. It's a Win/Win.

The STEELERS are not in cap trouble with WOODLEY's Deal falling off June 1st.
    If they lock him up though, they can then start planning for Ben's long term deal. Just because they aren't cap strapped at this exact moment, doesn't mean they wouldn't want to open up some room for other extensions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    If they lock him up though, they can then start planning for Ben's long term deal. Just because they aren't cap strapped at this exact moment, doesn't mean they wouldn't want to open up some room for other extensions.
    They will also be handcuffed to a painfully average OLB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    They will also be handcuffed to a painfully average OLB
    I don't think Jarvis's rookie contract will hinder us that much.

I know you're referring to Woirlds, but it applies.
    Last edited by thor75; 04-18-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I don't think Jarvis's rookie contract will hinder us that much.

I know you're referring to Woirlds, but it applies.
    Jarvis is still an unknown, they know plenty about worilds

Legend

User Info Menu

Jason Worilds still hopeful about signing long-term deal

Posted by Josh Alper on June 10, 2014

Linebacker Jason Worilds didn’t waste any time before signing the transition tag that the Steelers placed on him before free agency got underway this offseason, but there hasn’t been the same kind of urgency when it comes to reaching agreement on a long-term deal that would keep Worilds in Pittsburgh beyond the 2014 season.

Worilds is guaranteed $9.745 million under the terms of the tag and the Steelers’ overall cap situation left many thinking that they’d like to find a way to sign Worilds because it would mean a lower cap number in 2014. The last three months have brought neither an agreement nor much sign that one is in the offing, although Worilds said Tuesday that he hasn’t given up hope.

“Absolutely, as far as long term,” Worilds said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “You put so much time and effort in with these guys, so you want to be here for the duration of your career.”

Worilds doesn’t turn 27 until next March and set career highs in 2013 with 11 starts, eight sacks and 54 tackles. Building on that production would put Worilds in good position to get paid next offseason, although the Steelers would have the right to tag him again in order to assure his return to Pittsburgh.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/10/jason-worilds-still-hopeful-about-signing-long-term-deal/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I will say this...if Worilds doesn't pan out, or we can't get him signed the Steelers might be locked in going into next years draft. And that is a problem because I suspect Ike is on his way out. Which would mean OLB, and DB almost HAVE to be your top 2 picks. That is how teams get mediocre. Drafting for need.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I will say this...if Worilds doesn't pan out, or we can't get him signed the Steelers might be locked in going into next years draft. And that is a problem because I suspect Ike is on his way out. Which would mean OLB, and DB almost HAVE to be your top 2 picks. That is how teams get mediocre. Drafting for need.
    People thought DB was a need for us in the first three rounds this year, too...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    People thought DB was a need for us in the first three rounds this year, too...
    It was a need, but we just resisted the temptation to draft for the need and got IMO better players. There was no DB in the draft who I would rather have than Shazier and Tuitt.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"