Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worilds Designated as Transition Player

Legend

User Info Menu

Worilds Designated as Transition Player

According to Steelers PR guy Burt Lauten. Interesting.

Transition tag for a linebacker is $9.754 million, vs. 11.4 for the franchise tag. No compensation if he signs elsewhere, but it does give a right of first refusal.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 03-03-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I saw that. Does that mean Steelers can match offers from other teams or get draft picks in return?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

going to ask a few dumb questions: 1.) what does that mean? 2.) does that indicate the likelihood of him staying or leaving?

Legend

User Info Menu

It guarantees the original club the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_first_refusal"]right of first refusal[/URL] to match any offer the player may make with another team. The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless they elect to use a [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_Tag"]franchise tag[/URL] instead. Transition tags can be rescinded; however, teams that rescind a transition tag cannot use it again until the next season.
    Google it ya lazy bum....JK

Legend

User Info Menu

nevermind.. I didn't see your post until after I posted. I wonder if that means some cuts of other vets are on the way (in order to make room for Worilds)? Interesting

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I saw that. Does that mean Steelers can match offers from other teams or get draft picks in return?
    No compensation if Worilds signs with another team. But, the Steelers would get right of first refusal. I am scratching my head a bit over this one, but I bet it's to quell some of the interest Worilds might see from other organizations.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Just to follow up:

A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is just as terrible as when they used it on starks

Starter

User Info Menu

haha why is this terrible?

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers use transition tag on Jason Worilds

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 3, 2014

After the transition tag sat dormant for so long, it has been used twice in the last hour.

The Steelers named outside linebacker Jason Worilds their transition player, the team announced.

That guarantees Worilds, who wasn’t even a full-time starter last year, a one-year deal worth $9.754 million. The franchise tag would have cost $11.455 million.

Worilds had value after registering 8.0 sacks last year, but his side and the Steelers couldn’t agree on what it was.

Now, he can go to the market, and the Steelers have the opportunity to match any deal he finds, though there’s no compensation if they don’t.

The transition tag effectively dares the agent to find a contract. If the Steelers don’t elect to match, they’ll just return their gaze to 2013 first-rounder Jarvis Jones, whose rookie year went in fits and starts.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/03/steelers-use-transition-tag-on-jason-worilds/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha