Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Worilds Designated as Transition Player

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought they'd franchise him. I'm surprised they didn't to guarantee they'd get something in return. To all the Worilds doubters, he's gonna be in the mix for DMVP in his first full season as a starter.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I thought they'd franchise him. I'm surprised they didn't to guarantee they'd get something in return. To all the Worilds doubters, he's gonna be in the mix for DMVP in his first full season as a starter.
    Oh that is better Flip. I see you got back on your meds!

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know about that flip (not ruling it out)... but I will say it is a strong possibility that we will regret getting rid of him (ie Kennan Lewis) when he suits up and dominates for another team next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    They're just waiting to see what he is offered in FA. Someone will offer him something - they either match or they don't.

No way does Worilds stay for the 1 year at 9.75M. Worst case scenario they pull the tag off of him and move on with 9.75M freed up to spend as needed. This is just an insurance policy that doesn't hurt them at all to use since they can do away with it at any time without penalty.
    I dont think you can withdraw a tag, obviously they can either match or not match but if a team offers worilds a contact and he wants more money (or the $9 million for a one year deal) he doesnt have to sign their deal which wont give the steelers any chance to match and has them on the hook for $9 million

Legend

User Info Menu

After thinking about this, I like the idea. First, the transition tag saves $2 million over the franchise tag. That alone is the difference in one player.

If Worilds gets a crazy deal, you let him walk. If he finds that his market value is what the Steelers thought it was, you extend him. If all of that fails, he plays one year on the tender and you see if he can repeat his success.

This likely means that Woodley is gone, but what if he agrees to a straight pay cut? Would he get more than $4 million on the open market?

Administrator

User Info Menu

This is an interesting move.

It tells me they are working on a long term deal because I don't think the Steelers want to shell out that type of $ when they are already paying Woodley big money. That doesn't make any sense. If they plan to cut Woodley then that MUST mean they have long term plans w/ Worilds as a Steeler.

I don't see a team offering Worilds more than 9 million for next year. That type of $ usually gets backloaded into contracts.

The Steelers don't want to pay Worilds 9 mil for 1 year. They want a long term deal and I'm sure Worilds wants the same thing. Most players dislike these tags.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    After thinking about this, I like the idea. First, the transition tag saves $2 million over the franchise tag. That alone is the difference in one player.

If Worilds gets a crazy deal, you let him walk. If he finds that his market value is what the Steelers thought it was, you extend him. If all of that fails, he plays one year on the tender and you see if he can repeat his success.

This likely means that Woodley is gone, but what if he agrees to a straight pay cut? Would he get more than $4 million on the open market?
    indeed. it means they want to keep Worilds, but, want to make sure they can do so in a reasonable deal. If they cannot reach a deal with Worilds or are outbid for his services, they know they have Woodley on standby and don't need to cut him. I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see them go into this season with Worilds still tagged, Woodley on his existing contract (restructured) and JJ - yup all 3. No, i don't expect it, but, it wouldn't shock me.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Worilds won't play the year on the Tag. No player in line for a big multi year deal wants to play on game checks. This is to protect the Steelers. They don't want to lose Worilds. They have the tag under the cap. Some team now will have to exceed the 9+mil to force the Steelers into a decision. Mirror Kruger's deal similar to Worilds. Kruger's 5/40 only had a 6 mil SB. The rest of his guaranteed money was in '13-'14 season of base & roster bonus. After '14 on Kruger's deal...There is only 3.6 mil of dead money. Even if the Browns cut him today...It only counts as 4.8 mil of dead money. So for those worried about another "Woodley mistake"...That's the way it should be structured. It wasn't Woodley's contract that hurt...It was the restructures. Without the restructures the Steelers would only be sitting on 5.2 mil of dead money versus the 14.1 hole the dug.

If Worilds doesn't find any takers he will sign a multi year deal with the Steelers to get his up front money. My guess..That will reduce the hit by 2-3 mil if nobody signs him to an offer sheet. It is hard not to imagine Worilds here long term now that he was tagged.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    indeed. it means they want to keep Worilds, but, want to make sure they can do so in a reasonable deal. If they cannot reach a deal with Worilds or are outbid for his services, they know they have Woodley on standby and don't need to cut him. I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see them go into this season with Worilds still tagged, Woodley on his existing contract (restructured) and JJ - yup all 3. No, i don't expect it, but, it wouldn't shock me.
    Ugh, then 1 of two things will happen, either a very high paid OLB will be rotating in and not playing every snap or last year's 1st round pick is sitting and watching, based on the salaries, Jones watching and getting snaps here and there would be the best thing.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let's be honest. Woodley, Worilds, & Jones here in '14 makes them a hell of alot better. But...If they sign Worilds to a multi year...Woodley will have to take a pay cut for that to happen. Woodley would really have to WANT to be here for him to take a pay cut. Regardless of the recent injuires...At 29....Woodley would get more up front money if released & signs a new deal than the Steelers would pay him in base in '14. When Worilds signs a long term deal with the Steelers...People will line up with mud in their hands to throw at Woodley. Here comes the ugly..Business side of the NFL...Can't blame Woodley for holding his ground to get released.