Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worilds Designated as Transition Player

Hybrid View

Worilds Designated as Transition Player

According to Steelers PR guy Burt Lauten. Interesting.

Transition tag for a linebacker is $9.754 million, vs. 11.4 for the franchise tag. No compensation if he signs elsewhere, but it does give a right of first refusal.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 03-03-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I saw that. Does that mean Steelers can match offers from other teams or get draft picks in return?

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I saw that. Does that mean Steelers can match offers from other teams or get draft picks in return?
    No compensation if Worilds signs with another team. But, the Steelers would get right of first refusal. I am scratching my head a bit over this one, but I bet it's to quell some of the interest Worilds might see from other organizations.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

going to ask a few dumb questions: 1.) what does that mean? 2.) does that indicate the likelihood of him staying or leaving?

Pro Bowler
    It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player may make with another team. The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless they elect to use a franchise tag instead. Transition tags can be rescinded; however, teams that rescind a transition tag cannot use it again until the next season.
    Google it ya lazy bum....JK

Starter
    nevermind.. I didn't see your post until after I posted. I wonder if that means some cuts of other vets are on the way (in order to make room for Worilds)? Interesting

Just to follow up:

A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22.

Pro Bowler
    This is just as terrible as when they used it on starks

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    This is just as terrible as when they used it on starks
    I'd like to know why you feel this is terrible also?

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I'd like to know why you feel this is terrible also?
    because any cap space they were going to free up between brown, woodley, ike, a ben extension, a possible troy extension, and heaths extension is going to be tied up in a mediocre pass rusher due to lack of better options.

Moves like this arent going to get the steelers out of a cap hell

I dont know why anyone is under the impression the steelers get anything if he signs elsewhere, there is no compensation for a transition tag player but it will guarantee him the average of the top 10 highest paid OLBs salary if no one does and they cant work out a deal.