Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Worilds Designated as Transition Player

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    the cap is expected to increase significantly in the next two years.

they didn't want a repeat of the keenan lewis situation, IMO
    Keenan Lewis was gone, he wanted to play in New Orleans, Louisiana and very little (short of an unbelievable amount of money) was going to prevent that. The only team that Worilds wanted to play for was the Steelers (based on his statements, true or not). It certainly will be interesting what happens next, particularly with Ike, because we all know that Dan Rooney loves him like a son.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Keenan Lewis was gone, he wanted to play in New Orleans, Louisiana and very little (short of an unbelievable amount of money) was going to prevent that. The only team that Worilds wanted to play for was the Steelers (based on his statements, true or not). It certainly will be interesting what happens next, particularly with Ike, because we all know that Dan Rooney loves him like a son.

Pappy
    I was speaking in a general sense pap. They didn't want to see another talented young player up and leave as he is hitting his prime.

this is nothing more than a choice of woirlds over woodley, dead money be damned. I also believe that one thing that doesn't get mention much, but may have been a big part of the decision is woodleys attitude. There was an article awhile back about how he had changed and not for the better. He seemed to be more surly and bitter and I don't believe the steelers want that in their locker room. I only hope they chose right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    We never offered Keenan 8 or 9 mill to see if Keenan would get over his desire to play for N.O.

Maybe it was a done deal but the best way to find out is to actually OFFER him something to turn down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    This was Jason's first season to get significant starting time. Based on his numbers after the bye week, he had a pace of 80 Tackles, 12 sacks, and 3 FFs. Those stats are approaching James Harrison territory.

The only guy that's more effective on the field for us is Cam Heyward who looks like he's should put up a performance next season to make us forget we ever thought Aaron Smith was even good.

There's no way we can let either of these guys get away.
    Aaron Smith was one of the best DE's in the league for several years. Hopefully Heyward matches that at some point. Looks like he's off to a good start anyways.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    We never offered Keenan 8 or 9 mill to see if Keenan would get over his desire to play for N.O.

Maybe it was a done deal but the best way to find out is to actually OFFER him something to turn down.
    Agreed dizz.. I am sure Keenan Lewis is not the first person to have played on a team that was away from his home town team. Lot's of speculation on the part of the folks who say he wouldn't have stayed regardless. Wouldn't have been such a terrible loss if we had been able to replace him in a timely manner.

Legend

User Info Menu

$$

Legend

User Info Menu

But as I posted previously, other teams did offer more money, and he took less to play in his home town. why would you want to sign a player that wants to be elsewhere??

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I was speaking in a general sense pap. They didn't want to see another talented young player up and leave as he is hitting his prime.

this is nothing more than a choice of woirlds over woodley, dead money be damned. I also believe that one thing that doesn't get mention much, but may have been a big part of the decision is woodleys attitude. There was an article awhile back about how he had changed and not for the better. He seemed to be more surly and bitter and I don't believe the steelers want that in their locker room. I only hope they chose right.
    Totally agree. They have to stop the young players leaving and retaining experienced players no matter how hard it hurts.

If they would have let Worilds walk and he would get double digit sacks they would have looked like idiots as our remaining OLBs would likely be struggling to get half a dozen.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    But as I posted previously, other teams did offer more money, and he took less to play in his home town. why would you want to sign a player that wants to be elsewhere??
    because he was young, good and familiar with our city/coaches/players.

like I said, at least make an offer for him to turn down.

turning other new teams down is different than turning down a team you spent 4 years with.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 03-05-2014 at 01:47 PM.