Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How I think this plays out...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    No.. Read the article that Lance Zierlein put together a few years ago explaining how the Steelers conduct their draft board. All of those QB's Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles, will not be on their final draft board when they stack the boards.
    Read it...basically said their board would look different than mock draft boards. Not a whole lot of insight there. Hence the reason I left off Manziel...due to character issues. Also, the league may see someone as a second rounder but the Steelers don't. Wow. where did he come up with that mind blowing insight. But, any fan who believes the Steelers would pass on Bridgewater if he fell is likely mistaken. If the Steelers board were that different than consensus top 30, why is it many of us guess correctly the first round pick? I actually got round 1 and 2 correct last season.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Did you actually hit the highlighted word in that article that goes into the details and actually lists the draft board he thought would be the Steelers that season? I think it was 2 years ago when we drafted DeCastro. Do you see on his board where DeCastro is like 2 or 3 players higher than Hightower and was also 1 spot higher than the other OG that everyone was talking about- and also that Mike Adams was listed 30th. I know it was a no brainer to draft DD considering he slid down the board, but Hightower was right there too. As it played out, we drafted DD, then NE moved right up behind us and drafted Hightower. Then in the 2nd round we took Adams who was listed at 30 on the board and was probably the highest player listed on their board at the time they took him in round 2. I think his article on how they set the board up is quite accurate.

I believe that the Steelers are NOT in the market for a starting QB since Ben is in his prime right now. Therefore, I would then conclude that ALL QB's are off their boards for this year as they drafted a QB to back up Ben last year.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 03-03-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

I seen it. Wouldn't change how I placed my top 20. And you might be right. I just don't see the Steelers passing on an elite QB.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I seen it. Wouldn't change how I placed my top 20. And you might be right. I just don't see the Steelers passing on an elite QB.
    The way I see it is maybe the Steelers grade Bridgewater as a 2 or 3rd round not as a elite QB PROSPECT. So they would pass on him at 15.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Read it...basically said their board would look different than mock draft boards. Not a whole lot of insight there. Hence the reason I left off Manziel...due to character issues. Also, the league may see someone as a second rounder but the Steelers don't. Wow. where did he come up with that mind blowing insight. But, any fan who believes the Steelers would pass on Bridgewater if he fell is likely mistaken. If the Steelers board were that different than consensus top 30, why is it many of us guess correctly the first round pick? I actually got round 1 and 2 correct last season.
    Help me out here, if Bridgewater fell to 1.15, why would the Steelers draft him? It would be a 1st round pick that isn't helping the Steelers on either side of the ball for at least 2 years, but more likely 4 or 5 years. I just don't see the purpose in drafting a player that high that you aren't going to use for somewhere between 2 and 5 years, barring injury to Ben of course.

I get the whole "value" idea when you have someone graded top 5 and you can draft him at 15, but don't need a place for him to play a little sooner than the Steelers hope they will need him?

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Help me out here, if Bridgewater fell to 1.15, why would the Steelers draft him? It would be a 1st round pick that isn't helping the Steelers on either side of the ball for at least 2 years, but more likely 4 or 5 years. I just don't see the purpose in drafting a player that high that you aren't going to use for somewhere between 2 and 5 years, barring injury to Ben of course.

I get the whole "value" idea when you have someone graded top 5 and you can draft him at 15, but don't need a place for him to play a little sooner than the Steelers hope they will need him?

Pappy
    You get value for him one way or the other...

If he's there at #15, someone will trade up for him...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

This makes sense.. it won't happen but it makes sense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Green Bay drafting Rodgers at 1.24 - something like that with a top QB and an aging, oft injured starter would be more feasible.

Not at 1.15 though, especially when Gradkowski can be a decent fill in and they drafted the QB they want to groom in the 4th last year.

The Packers when drafting Rodgers? They had Craig Nall and Doug Pederson as their backups the year before drafting Rodgers. Nall threw 15 more passes in his career (bringing his career total to 4, and Pederson was never heard from again after Rodgers was drafted.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

And, if a team doesn't want to trade up, do you still take him?

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    And, if a team doesn't want to trade up, do you still take him?

Pappy
    hell no... I think Bridgewater will be a good QB but I think we can get a similar QB a few years later when Ben is ready to retire.