Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers Offseason in 3 Parts

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm ok with getting younger and all, but I don't think you can get rid of guys like Worilds and Pouncey who are young solid players and expect to get better. You have to keep your young talented players.

If we get rid of these 2 youngsters after losing Wally and Lewis, that's becoming a recipe for disaster. We can't expect to ever get better if we keep allowing young talent to leave at that kind of rate.

Will we try to trade DD and Heyward next year for a couple mid round picks because they're getting too good and expensive for us?
    Worilds will be gone because of the salary cap disaster we created, and there are plenty of teams (especially this year with the cap higher than expected) that will overpay and easily outbid us in FA for his services. That is just the reality we face. Pouncey, for reasons that go far beyond the money, will be gone next year, too. Our biting the bullet this year is in anticipation of creating space to keep DD and Heyward in the future.

The NFL now is a five year deal--you need to bring in players as rookies and expect you'll only have them for 5 years, and when you keep them longer, bonus. I too would prefer to keep some of these guys, but I just don't think it is realistic.

Legend

User Info Menu

When considering letting these younger guys go, I think it needs to be looked at on a "Case by Case" basis....meaning, what do we stand to gain monetarily, and, do we have capable backups that will fill the void?

When Pouncey went down, Velasco stepped in an did a fine job replacing him. Wallace was also a pleasant surprise. In the case of Kennan Lewis, losing him created a hole that will take a few years to fill (meaning Ike's quickly declining play, Cortez Allen not quite there yet) etc.. If it hadn't been for signing Will Gay this past year, we would have really stunk it up in the secondary.

Looking at Jason Worilds, you have to wonder.. how long will Woodley stay healthy, and will Jarvis Jones play up to his hype? If/when one of those guys go down, who do we have that can step in and perform? I would be all for letting Pouncey/Ike/etc go if it meant keeping Worilds around.

Legend

User Info Menu

and it's obvious the Free Agency will have to address some of these immediate needs if we are going to have a shot at the playoffs the next few years. If we think the draft alone will do it for us, I think we'll be disappointed with this year's record.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    and it's obvious the Free Agency will have to address some of these immediate needs if we are going to have a shot at the playoffs the next few years. If we think the draft alone will do it for us, I think we'll be disappointed with this year's record.

This is correct. We won't be able to rebuild the defense through the draft alone. We need to get a boost from Free Agency.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

I'll be pissed if Goodell penalizes The Steelers for SidelineGate. The fine on Tomlin was ample. Furthermore, it was his ignorant officiating crew that cost us a chance at a Lombardi. So to me, it's all square.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    This is correct. We won't be able to rebuild the defense through the draft alone. We need to get a boost from Free Agency.
    Correct, and I think the front office knows this and will react accordingly.