Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Terminations (Ike?) should come soon

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    We haven't learned our lesson yet. They signed him for 9.7 mill for 1 year...
    Based on 8 games out 64 possible to boot.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Kaboly: Ike Taylor: ‘Hopefully I am back …’

March 4, 2014 by Mark Kaboly

The Steelers have a week to get compliant with the NFL’s salary cap, and one of the ways they can accomplish that is with veteran cornerback Ike Taylor.

Taylor is due $7 million in base salary in the final year of a 4-year, $28 million contract he signed in 2011. What has complicated the issue is that the Steelers have restructured Taylor’s contract in each of the past two seasons (including in late October) that has put his cap number near $12 million and his dead money around $5 million.

Taylor, who will be 34 in May, admitted only his weekly TribLive Radio Show Tuesday that he isn’t sure he will be back for his 12th year.

“Hopefully I am back as a Steeler in 2014,” Taylor said. “Time will tell. We will see. When you get around 33-34, they always try to find a reason not to pay you. They always … and it has been going for years.”

The Steelers would prefer for Taylor to agree to a pay reduction, but could resort to releasing the veteran corner even though the Steelers are thin at the position. Cortez Allen and William Gay are the only two corners on the roster with extended experience.

“I don’t know. I am in a situation where you can say my cap is high for a veteran guy but hey, I am still a top veteran guy, I feel,” Taylor said. “You can say my play declined but I am asking where?”

Taylor has been durable over his career missing only four games due to injury. He played in all but 24 snaps last year coming off an ankle injury that caused him to miss the final month of 2012.

However, Taylor’s effectiveness did decline some.

According to Pro Football Focus, Taylor allowed the second most catches in the NFL with 71. He gave up 30 in 2012 albeit in four fewer games.

Taylor, who spent the majority of his career following around the opposition’s top receiver, was also relegated to the one side of the defense over the final months of the season.

Taylor admits that he is loyal to almost a fault but did add: “It only takes ones team is what I really want to say.”

Taylor will likely find out his fate over the next few days.

[URL]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/03/04/kaboly-ike-taylor-hopefully-i-am-back/#ixzz2v1AFnVUn[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike is high as hell... I like confidence but this dude is delusional and it makes me wonder if it's the reason he drops so many INT's.

Too confident to work on catching a football.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ike is high as hell... I like confidence but this dude is delusional and it makes me wonder if it's the reason he drops so many INT's.

Too confident to work on catching a football.
    It's questionable that Ike in his prime is worth ~10mil let alone right now.

“Hopefully I am back as a Steeler in 2014,” Taylor said. “Time will tell. We will see. When you get around 33-34, they always try to find a reason not to pay you. They always … and it has been going for years.”

What is he talking about?

Someone needs to tell Ike that he isn't as good as what he thinks he is. He's not a game changer and now he's old and still can't create turnovers.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

plus 1 dizz and steel. I was about to post the exact same points.. but you both beat me to it
    Ike needs to watch some game film lol

Legend

User Info Menu

In the NFL’s Game of Tag, You Don’t Want to be It

Explaining the nuances of the franchise tag and the transition tag, and the ripple effects they’ll have on free agency

By Andrew Brandt

The Steelers are as cap-strapped as any team, having just mortgaged the contract of 31-year-old tight end Heath Miller, and would have been vulnerable to an attack from another team’s offer sheet with a cap-loaded first year regarding Worilds.

Yet, surprisingly, Worilds immediately signed his tender and took himself off the market, eliminating any such threat to the Steelers. Such a move by Worilds suggests there might have been some concern that Pittsburgh would rescind the tender at some point with mounting cap issues, or that negotiations on a long-term contract were progressing before the tag deadline and the player (and agent) feel confident there will be resolution. In either case, my sense is that there will be some veteran casualties coming in Pittsburgh due to this tag or potential contract.

There will be blood.

[URL]http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/04/nfl-franchise-tag/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Adam Schefter of ESPN has reported that the Steelers are trying to redo Troy Polamalu's contract and have no plans to release him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Adam Schefter of ESPN has reported that the Steelers are trying to redo Troy Polamalu's contract and have no plans to release him.
    I've said for years, "they won't make the same mistake they made with Woodson... they still regret that move. with troy, they feel like they have a 2nd chance."
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

On the Steelers: Many tough choices on tap

March 4, 2014
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Now, we wait for the Steelers to drop the next shoes.

They were assured Tuesday morning of keeping linebacker Jason Worilds for at least the 2014 season when it took him mere hours to accept the $9,754,000 transition deal they dropped on him Monday afternoon.

By accepting, Worilds no longer can entertain offers from other teams because he no longer is a free agent. It’s not only a binding one-year deal, it also is guaranteed, and they would like to sign him to a long-term deal.

The next steps for the Steelers will look like a dance that has become all too familiar for them lately — restructuring contracts to save 2014 salary-cap room, terminating veteran contracts, asking for pay cuts and working out contract extensions that also create space in their 2014 salary cap.

They need that space because, at the moment, they are approximately $10 million above where they need to be for salary-cap compliance by 4 p.m. Tuesday. That takes into account their top 51 salaries, the only ones that count in the offseason (their entire roster is closer to $14 million above the cap).

They are trying to negotiate a contract extension with Heath Miller that perhaps would keep him a Steelers tight end until his retirement and also lower his 2014 salary-cap hit of $9.5 million (including a $6 million salary).

There are many other ways they are working to create salary-cap room, including a multiyear deal with Worilds that also would reduce his currently bloated salary-cap hit this year.

Cornerback Ike Taylor also has to be in their sights, and something needs to be done with him by Tuesday. Taylor is scheduled to make $7 million in this the final year of his contract. He’s not going to get that. They could release him and save $7 million. But no matter how anyone thinks he played in 2013, they have little depth at cornerback, and he would give them at least that.

They could ask Taylor to take $3 million in salary and shave their cap by $4 million. They could reasonably pare $2 million more from their 2014 salary cap on an extension with Miller.

Those two things would create $6 million in cap space. They will cut tackle Levi Brown and his $6.25 million due this season, and that’s a quick $12.25 million in savings, which would put them easily under the cap by Tuesday.

But they need to be more than a few million dollars under the cap.

They need to sign players, too, players like one or two of their three free-agent defensive ends (Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood and Al Woods).

They need halfbacks other than the only experienced one they currently have under contract, Le’Veon Bell.

They need backup offensive linemen.

And they need to sign and perhaps focus next on veteran wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery.

So they must create even more salary-cap room.

Among the many issues will be safety Troy Polamalu’s $8,250,000 salary in his final year (Ask him to take a cut? Extend his contract?) and whether to restructure or extend linebacker Lawrence Timmons’ contract, extend quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s deal and do something with wide receiver Antonio Brown’s.

Then there is outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley. He lost his position to Worilds in 2013 when they moved the young linebacker to Woodley’s spot on the left and moved Woodley to the right, where he never had played in the pros. Presumably, Worilds is the starting left outside linebacker. They drafted Jarvis Jones in 2013 to be their starting right outside linebacker.

Woodley counts $13,590,000 against their salary cap right now, including an $8 million salary.

That’s way too much to pay for a backup, and one who has had injury problems the past three seasons. They can ask him to take a pay cut from that $8 million salary, and then it would be his choice.

If they cut Woodley now, because of the cap rules, all his pro-rated bonus money would count now.

He would count a little more than $14 million if they cut him now (but that also would wipe him off their books for 2015 and 2016).

If they cut him after June 1, he would count $5.6 million this year (and still be on their books for 2015).

Choices, choices. The Steelers made one.

They have many more ahead of them.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/03/04/Linebacker-Jason-Worilds-signs-one-year-contract-with-Steelers/stories/201403040168#ixzz2v6r1NpC5[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

curtis brown, larry foote, and levi brown

good luck in another city