Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was learned from the Combine? What players we like are now out of reach from 15?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

What was learned from the Combine? What players we like are now out of reach from 15?

The top 3 pass rushers in the draft (Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack, and Anthony Barr) were out of reach before the Combine and remain out of reach now.

The top 3 tackles in the draft (Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson, and Taylor Lewan) are now all out of reach. Matthews was all along, and with the shows that Robinson and Lewan put on in Indy, neither one is making it out of the top 12 anymore either.

The top 2 wideouts in the draft (Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans) are now out of reach. Watkins was never falling to 15, but I'm sure the team was drooling over the possibility of Evans being the big WR that Ben has been pining for for so long. With his combine performance, the likelihood of him falling to 15 has moved from slim to none.

The top corner in the draft (Justin Gilbert) is now out of reach. He blew up the combine. He's got the size, got the athleticism, got the fluidity, and got the tape to back it all up. Probably top 10 now.

Take those 9 guys, add in the 3 QB's that will likely come off the board early as well (since the Texans, Jags, Browns, Raiders, and Vikings all have needs at QB...possibly the Bucs too since the new coaching regime may not have the same faith in Mike Glennon as the regime that drafted him last year), and we've got a solid dozen guys who should be gone before we pick. If any of them fall (among the non-QB's), that would be the pick. But I don't see it happening.

After those 12 are off the board, I think the Rams take a safety (either Clinton-Dix or Pryor) and the Bears take a d-lineman (either Jernigan or Donald). So what's left for us? Likely defense or a weapon for Ben.

We could take the safety that the Rams don't take (either Clinton Dix or Pryor). We could take the #2 corner (Dennard). We could take the top ILB (Mosley). We could take the top NT (Nix) and move McLendon to DE. We could take the top 3-4 DE prospect (Hageman) since both Hood and Keisel are free agents and we may let both of them go. If we go offense, the options are Ebron at TE, a guy like Lee who seems to be the type of WR they like in the Antonio Brown mold only slightly bigger, or a taller WR like Benjamin. Starting to narrow it down now...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I would be willing to bet that one of your top 9 guys will make it to 15...

Based upon pro day results and general incompetent drafting, I honestly think one of those players will be there...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

excellent write up ruthless. I was hoping for evans or gilbert, but like you said, highly unlikely.

I guess I would lean towards ebron even though I'm not in love with him as a player. But he would be the top player at his position and the drop off seems to be significant from him to the other 2 you hear mentioned. (asj/amaro)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    excellent write up ruthless. I was hoping for evans or gilbert, but like you said, highly unlikely.

I guess I would lean towards ebron even though I'm not in love with him as a player. But he would be the top player at his position and the drop off seems to be significant from him to the other 2 you hear mentioned. (asj/amaro)
    Speaking of Ebron, while I'm not in love with a TE as the pick, he is more above the others than Eifert was. I was a bigger fan of Ertz last year, and by the end of the year, he was proving me right. Plus, I had a late-round man-crush on Joseph Fauria, who was an undrafted FA and ended up starting by year's end.

This year, Ebron seems to be a stud waiting to happen.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Nice observations, ruthless. I'd be good with Mosely. Good friend at work from Alabama who told me Mosely is very underrated and is a game-changer. Nix, would give us the inside presence at NT for years to come - it's like when we bit the bullet with Casey and never had to think about NT for a decade. Those are easily my top 2 choices, though I wouldn't be upset with a few other guys.

I just think this defense got weak up the middle and it was harder to get off the field on 3rd and short than it had been in prior years -- as well as more difficult to get the ball back when needed at the end of games. There are so many good WRs, you could easily get a solid guy in the 2nd or 3rd, while the other first rounders are (small) reaches where we pick... plus, I haven't given up on Wheaton yet.

3.98 -<tbd>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Nice observations, ruthless. I'd be good with Mosely. Good friend at work from Alabama who told me Mosely is very underrated and is a game-changer. Nix, would give us the inside presence at NT for years to come - it's like when we bit the bullet with Casey and never had to think about NT for a decade. Those are easily my top 2 choices, though I wouldn't be upset with a few other guys.

I just think this defense got weak up the middle and it was harder to get off the field on 3rd and short than it had been in prior years -- as well as more difficult to get the ball back when needed at the end of games. There are so many good WRs, you could easily get a solid guy in the 2nd or 3rd, while the other first rounders are (small) reaches where we pick... plus, I haven't given up on Wheaton yet.
    Excellent post.... there is no need to give up on Wheaton. While it would've been nice to see Wheaton have a break out year there is no indication our FO has given up on him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Excellent post.... there is no need to give up on Wheaton. While it would've been nice to see Wheaton have a break out year there is no indication our FO has given up on him.

drafting a WR at 15 isnt giving up on wheaton.

he the perfect size to be a slot guy in a multi WR set. and where he was drafted is where you find a lot of slot guys around the league

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    drafting a WR at 15 isnt giving up on wheaton.

he the perfect size to be a slot guy in a multi WR set. and where he was drafted is where you find a lot of slot guys around the league
    Cotchery also happens to be a pretty dang good slot.

Besides, Wheaton is roughly the same size as Antonio Brown, so, "perfect size for a slot guy" is nonsense (1 inch taller, 4 lbs lighter than Brown, per espn.com) The question is "Is the guy capable of being a GOOD WR" and if so, why spend a top 15 pick to replace him already?

You re-sign Cotchery, pick a mid-round guy with upside at WR to compete with Wheaton and Cotchery, then you can fill bigger needs early.

3.98 -<tbd>

Legend

User Info Menu

"Is the guy capable of being a GOOD WR" and if so, why spend a top 15 pick to replace him already?
    Why? Because you never imagined that you would have a crack at Lee, or Evans, or Benjamin, or whoever...in 2014.

Not saying we should do it, but if one of these guys is their guy, and he falls, then the FO should do it. I am sure that they balance need vs. rating somehow, and if a WR is still the most desired player after that then you do it

Legend

User Info Menu

Cotchery also happens to be a pretty dang good slot.

Besides, Wheaton is roughly the same size as Antonio Brown, so, "perfect size for a slot guy" is nonsense (1 inch taller, 4 lbs lighter than Brown, per espn.com) The question is "Is the guy capable of being a GOOD WR" and if so, why spend a top 15 pick to replace him already?

You re-sign Cotchery, pick a mid-round guy with upside at WR to compete with Wheaton and Cotchery, then you can fill bigger needs early.
    well, yousaid it there, cotch is a free agent.

AB would be a great slot guy. he's a good receiver period. do you see "really good slot guys" that are 6'3 or 6'4 in the league??

as far as your question why spend a 15 to replace him
    he's not a known commodity at this point. he could suck just as much as sanders.
    what have you seen in wheaton that tells you he can be a quality starting WR on the outside. if anything, his lack of play last year might suggest the opposite

but if every FO thought like that. then houston wouldnt have drafted hopkins last year. dallas wouldnt have drafted Dez his draft year. detroit wouldnt be thinking about drafting evans and on and on and on