Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: What was learned from the Combine? What players we like are now out of reach from 15?

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    No one said he needed to tear up, but getting better as the season went on should be expected. It didn't happen.
    Did you see the last gave vs. the Browns? He was all over the field, making a difference.

Pro Bowler
    After the combine, I think we are looking at Dennard and Nix as our first rounders. I am a little worried about Nix staying in one piece, though. I have heard both extreme stances that we were lacking immensely at NT last year, to others who say McClendon actually rated quite well in his play. Which is it? If Dennard allowed us to move on from Ike, and his huge salary, I would lean that way. Let's also not forget that teams are throwing the ball all over the field with the rule changes. We need to keep that in mind. Few teams just line up and power rush the ball, hence a top shelf CB is needed more than a massive clogger at NT, it would seem to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Did you see the last gave vs. the Browns? He was all over the field, making a difference.
    He also stepped up his game in pass coverage...4 PDs in the last 8 games...

Pro Bowler
    that was also a must win game and he still let loose. Players acclimate to the game differently. most rookies dont play much, he got some quality playing time and did some good things, and did some things i didnt think hed be any good at right away ie setting the edge vs the run
    After the combine, I think we are looking at Dennard and Nix as our first rounders. I am a little worried about Nix staying in one piece, though. I have heard both extreme stances that we were lacking immensely at NT last year, to others who say McClendon actually rated quite well in his play. Which is it? If Dennard allowed us to move on from Ike, and his huge salary, I would lean that way. Let's also not forget that teams are throwing the ball all over the field with the rule changes. We need to keep that in mind. Few teams just line up and power rush the ball, hence a top shelf CB is needed more than a massive clogger at NT, it would seem to me.
    Mcclendon was just ok. He is what Kimo was before they drafted Casey, playing NT out of position...he doesnt really fit the bill as a DE for us though. I love al woods, but hes not really a NT either...he gets out leveraged on the interior but i think hes the real deal at DE (doesnt stop me from wanting Hageman a little though)

I like nix, but not at 15...Id prefer Kerr in 2/3. If we go dline Id want Hageman in 1 or possibly Tuitt

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    that was also a must win game and he still let loose. Players acclimate to the game differently. most rookies dont play much, he got some quality playing time and did some good things, and did some things i didnt think hed be any good at right away ie setting the edge vs the run

Mcclendon was just ok. He is what Kimo was before they drafted Casey, playing NT out of position...he doesnt really fit the bill as a DE for us though. I love al woods, but hes not really a NT either...he gets out leveraged on the interior but i think hes the real deal at DE (doesnt stop me from wanting Hageman a little though)

I like nix, but not at 15...Id prefer Kerr in 2/3. If we go dline Id want Hageman in 1 or possibly Tuitt
    How is Tuitt? I thought he had surgery... will that hurt his stock?

Pro Bowler

Is Nix really better than the other NT in this draft, especially considering he has durability issues? When you say you like Hageman, do you mean for NT? Isn't 6-6 too tall to anchor that position?

Pro Bowler
    Hageman is a DE, and a bad bad man. He and heyward would be awesome. NT in the traditional sense is losing its value, the zone stretch has pretty much negated the block eating NT. Like i said, i like nix, but at 15 im less than thrilled

Legend
    McClendon finished the season better than he started. And I'm rooting for him. He's a hustler. But he's not really collapsing the pocket in the middle, nor is he getting much pressure or making many tackles in the run game.

That said, I think McClendon has a better shot of turning into a good NT than Williams or JJ have in turning into great LBs. While he hasn't been all that good yet, I'd still be ok sticking it out with him now to see where he can go in his second season as a starter.

Pro Bowler
    Hageman is a DE, and a bad bad man. He and heyward would be awesome. NT in the traditional sense is losing its value, the zone stretch has pretty much negated the block eating NT. Like i said, i like nix, but at 15 im less than thrilled
    I agree, but does LeBoo realize this, or will he just stick to his same plan? With teams spreading it out, and throwing all over, I would prefer a top CB at this point, if one is there. Between Heyward, Woods, McClendon and a few FAs and/or draft picks, I think we will be fine upfront, at least in this 3-4 system.

Pro Bowler
    I feel in the vast minority that thinks Jarvis Jones is going to be a good player for us....really baffling honestly

Also, its not about being "fine" upfront...adding a legit monster as a second DE would make the LBs and DBs astronomically better. Hageman imo compares to Justin Smith in playing style, and Heyward looked like Mo Wilkerson out there last season....having those guys up front could be a quick fix to the defense

Tuitt would be good too, I see a lot of Chris Canty in him